Tundra out of Commision for 4-6weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I said oil spray, really it means Krown or Rustcheck in Canada, these are lanolin based oils and are enviromentally friendly, that's why they are legal in Canada.

Funny, the place that sprays my car is owned by an old guy that's been doing this for years, with all new customers he tastes Krown oil to prove that it is not harmfull, he did that in front of me as well
lol.gif
, I'm not sure about his age, but looks he's in the late 60's or early 70's, he still works full time rustproofing cars, so I'm not worried about this at all.

Originally Posted By: cchase
Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: cchase
There's a huge difference between living in the south (anywhere south of say.... PA) or near the ocean and living in an area that has salt on the roads for 6 months every year.

Sorry, but that's just how it is. And this is clearly an issue with Toyotas.

Their buy-back program is commendable, but using inferior quality metal and rust-proofing techniques is not. Taking 150% of KBB sounds to be to be nothing but a ploy to insure their reputation for "high resale value", because it's nothing more than a subsidy.

On the pacific coast (Washington) the vehicles that drive on the beach (it's legal on most of our coastal beaches) often have far more rust issues than even those I've seen in the northeast U.S. So yes, driving ON the beach is extremely corrosive. More so than salted winter roads. Trust me....I've seen both.

There's a huge difference between driving in the ocean, and living near the ocean. Driving in the ocean is about what driving in the salt belt is, only for 6 months every year. If you don't see that...

Of course I see that.....you were the one saying that a coastal inhabitant doesn't compare to living in the northeast. I was merely pointing out that when one DOES live on the coast (at least out west), many times you drive on the beach (and who said anything about driving IN the ocean?).

Car washes do landslide business up here in the winter. You wouldn't believe the line-ups at times.....

:p

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Car washes do landslide business up here in the winter. You wouldn't believe the line-ups at times.....

:p

Yes I would because we have them here too. If you head to the car wash here during the winter, and especially a day or two after a big storm, you bring a book. The lines remind me of the gas lines in the 70's. I was pretty young then but I do remember sitting in the family car for HOURS to get a few gallons.

I live in Coastal NH and only do a car wash when the car is so salt dirty that you get dirty brushing against it or can't see through salt caked windows. We get enough rain with every winter storm to keep our cars rinsed off pretty well.

My major qualm with car washes is they recycle a good portion of water by settling it and using again in tanks. So you basically are spraying salty/soapy water with fine grain grit during the winter months.

You use the ones that require you to get out of the vehicle. Or use a pressure washer hooked to a warm water source at home (I started doing that last winter)

Just wash it in the street since they salt it enough to get rid of the ice.

You are correct, the newer "PC" drive through washes do recycle their water and its NOT good for anything.

Since we have an endless source of salt in this state, they use it a lot. But I'd rather have the salt then have someone crash into me (that does more damage than the salt will ever) or run off the road.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
You are correct, the newer "PC" drive through washes do recycle their water and its NOT good for anything.

Bill

Evidence for this? I read Internet rumors "PC" or otherwise
smirk2.gif
that car washes recycle the water, but no facts to substantiate the claim. I've tasted car wash water and it was tap water. Also, salt leaves a film. Water is cheap and filtration would be costly. If it's true that they recycle the wash water it would indeed be scandalous and the public would not stand for it.

Originally Posted By: Nayov

smirk2.gif
that car washes recycle the water, but no facts to substantiate the claim. I've tasted car wash water and it was tap water. Also, salt leaves a film. Water is cheap and filtration would be costly. If it's true that they recycle the wash water it would indeed be scandalous and the public would not stand for it.

Guess you should tell this company that they are an internet rumor..

One company

Or this company

Or this CITY since 1993 who provides recycled water for car washes..

Quote:
If it's true that they recycle the wash water it would indeed be scandalous and the public would not stand for it.

Can't wait for your comment...
smirk2.gif

smirk2.gif

Guess you should tell this company that they are an internet rumor..

One company

Or this company

Or this CITY since 1993 who provides recycled water for car washes..

Quote:
If it's true that they recycle the wash water it would indeed be scandalous and the public would not stand for it.

smirk2.gif

Shhh... don't tell him that toilet water is the same as in his tap, he'll have a heart attack.
lol.gif

Bill

smirk2.gif

I did the civil engineering for maybe 5 - 10 car washes before PC was a real term and the idea of green was prevalent. They all used settling tanks. I am not saying 100% of water is recycled but a portion of it is blended. It combines into a blended tank to make sure there is enough (spare) capacity to run all the equipment at once.

As long as the water is filtered to ensure debris is not being blown at my vehicle I don't care that the water may be recycled. I think that is actually environmentally responsible.

As hard( i.e. PSI )as the water comes out at the TF washes I use if the water wasn't filtered, and it had sand and grit in it as some claim, there would be major paint issues. I have never had a TF car wash problem. Not to my paint nor even vinyl grahpics which surely would suffer damage.

I have had damage caused by a regular wash( i.e. touch type with brushes and that hanging thing that looks like a big octopus )however. I will never use one of those unless it is a beater car.

I have no problem with TF washes. The ones here do a good job and haven't done my vehicles any harm.

smirk2.gif

OK OK, no need to get huffy. I am wrong and you are right. YOU WIN! Now, as long as the final rinse is tap water then I personally couldn't care less even if the wash water came directly from the Great Salt Lake.

smirk2.gif

OK OK, no need to get huffy. I am wrong and you are right. YOU WIN! Now, as long as the final rinse is tap water then I personally couldn't care less even if the wash water came directly from the Great Salt Lake.

You were the one;

smirk2.gif
that car washes recycle the water, but no facts to substantiate the claim.

Stating that I was posting an "internet rumor" with the rolling of eyes. So PLEASE don't tell me about huffy.

With that clear. Plenty of car washes also use recycled water in the rinse.

Spend some time using Google and you'll see that too.

Bill

Logic would dictate that any contaminants in the final rinse water would leave spots on the car. If there is dissolved salt in that final rinse water, there will be salt spots on the car when it dries.

Perhaps that is why they do not use recycled water in the final rinse (although they collect the runoff from the rinal rinse and recycle that for use in earlier wash stages).

http://johnnys-car-wash.com/carwashworks.html

Quote:
The last rinse arch in the tunnel, aptly called the final rinse, should always use clean, non-recycled water to ensure that all residue is removed from the surface of the car.

http://www.bunkeyscarwashofraleigh.com/

Quote:
All the water used at Bunkey's Car Wash of Raleigh is recycled and filtered. Only the final rinse uses fresh, un-recycled water. It only takes us about 14 gallons to wash your car.

http://www.allianceforwaterefficiency.or..._Technology.pdf

Quote:
The International Carwash Association summarizes the “Steps in a Professional
Car Wash Process” that affect water use as follows:
• pre-soak — automated nozzle or hand-held spray
• wash — high-pressure spray or brushes with detergent solution
• rocker panel/undercarriage — brushes or high-pressure sprays on sides
and bottom of vehicle
• first rinse — high-pressure rinse
• wax and sealers — optional surface finish sprays on the vehicle
• final rinse — low-pressure rinse with fresh or membrane-filtered water
• air blowers — air blows over the vehicle to remove water and assist in drying
• hand drying — vehicle is wiped down with towels or chamois cloths on site (in full-service
washes these are then laundered in washing machines on-site)

If it's filtered through a membrane, do you think it's going to have any salt in it?

If it had any salt in it, do you think it would leave spots on the car?

If it left spots on the car, do you think that the customers of that carwash would continue to go there?

The answers are: No, Yes, No, in that order.

You might want to read up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_osmosis#Car_Washing

The bottom line is this logic of "Carwashes might use recycled water in the final rinse so I'm no going to go there because the final rinse water might have salt in it" is bunk.

Unless you've actually been to a carwash where the final rinse left deposits on your car. Has never happened to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back