Truck was stolen while on family trip

I can't offer any help with insurance, but I want to say that I hate that happened to you. I can't stand thieves. This is a big part of why I stick with older vehicles. The 2002 Tahoe isn't fitted with the latest and greatest tech, nor gets the best fuel economy, but that also makes it much less of a target.

Sorry for your loss, but shoot, that's astounding that it's that easy to steal them. Maybe we have to resort to low-tech things like The Club or a good old battery disconnect.
I’ve wondered about that.

for airport parking, or similar, I used to sometimes pull the wire between the coil and the distributor and either hide it or stick in my pocket. Or simply disconnect the solenoid lead. RF spoofing with digital tools is a different skill than troubleshooting a car that won’t start.

my son drives a stick. He recently was forced to pay for hotel valet service. They called him one of the nights and asked him to come park his car from the front desk because they didn’t have anyone who could move it. He inwardly acknowledged the irony but favored kindness - I was proud of him. He moved it, joked about a discount and went back up.

RE the truck

You will receive an offer based on an evaluation - ask for it to be emailed.

There are 2 main components: Equipment and condition.

Most but not all doing the evaluation will have access to pull factory options. It will work on that truck, review all the equipment including the model and body. Mention any aftermarket equipment you added but know that not everything adds value. Even dealer added like spray in bed liners, bed covers and such.

The second piece is condition - most states there are 4 rating levels - fair/average private/dealer retail/exceptional and these have definitions. Almost nothing is exceptional.

Look at the comparables, they should have information/VINs the evaluation companies will consider all of them at dealers "dealer retail" google the vins and find the pictures, they may not be dealer retail.

I can help you read the evaluation if you PM me, but contact me before sending it.

Sorry about your hassle , ugh!!!!

I keep an apple tag buried in under spare in my 2015 Pilot(it fell in) . It seems to give away its location pretty well . I was surprised where it ended up at valets I have used.

Might be a bit late now, but uconnect in the past has been willing to enable vehicle tracking and help recover stolen vehicles. IIRC the owner of Retroshop had someone steal his Charger, called uconnect and they enabled it for free and they were able to quickly track down the vehicle. Sorry about the headache you have to deal with now though.

I feel your pain.

For the future it may not hurt to invest in a steering wheel lock as well as a lock that can secure your steering wheel to your brake pedal.

That's too bad. I have Apple Airtags on 3 of my car's keychains, I'm thinking I'll order 3 more and hide them inside of each.
Got the AirTags. Hid them in the same spot in each car. When the batteries need replacing every year I’ll probably hate myself for where I dropped them :ROFLMAO:

14F1F43C-5F87-4251-ABB6-AED2BDFDE2E6.jpeg

I have no desire to play detective if someone steals my vehicle. I'm not interested in airtags, Onstar, etc. It's the cops job to find my vehicle using whatever means they normally do. If they can't-I will settle with the insurance company and buy a new one. Someone steals your vehicle-the airtag shows it's in Mexico. Do you want it back??

Remember a story where some guys Miata was stolen and it was traced to a house just over the border in Mexico-actually in someone's living room-hidden. Can't remember how it was traced.

Sorry-I don't want it back.

Yeah, I wouldn't want anything to do with the vehicle if it was recovered.

I've known 2 people who have had a vehicle stolen, one was found about a years later in a lake, the other was found a month or two later basically fully stripped.

Kill switch inline with starter solenoid or fuel pump. Whichever is easier to install.
I would prefer something that results in a cranks but won't start condition, because that noise attracts a lot more attention than any alarm. The thieves are not going to stick around trying to diagnose it.

I have no desire to play detective if someone steals my vehicle. I'm not interested in airtags, Onstar, etc. It's the cops job to find my vehicle using whatever means they normally do. If they can't-I will settle with the insurance company and buy a new one. Someone steals your vehicle-the airtag shows it's in Mexico. Do you want it back??

Remember a story where some guys Miata was stolen and it was traced to a house just over the border in Mexico-actually in someone's living room-hidden. Can't remember how it was traced.

For me it's different. The '96 Jeep is sentimental, I'll never get rid of it. It doesn't have comprehensive insurance. It isn't the monetary loss if it gets stolen. The Sonata does have comprehensive, but at a $2,000 deductible. I did that intentionally so that I can have super cheap glass insurance. If it were stolen I'd want it back. Buying a used car at these ages is likely a junker. At least I know mine are good cars.

I personally don't rely on the police to find my stolen property. Police solve just 14% of stolen property cases. It's most probable the case ended up in a stack of low priority cases on some rookie's desk, and the vehicle was long gone out of local jurisdiction hours before it was noticed missing. I'd likely still want a police report, just for the record, but I don't have faith in them to find my property. Besides, I'd rather the police keep busy on higher priority cases.

All of my vehicles have a Tile hidden in them connected with an app in my phone. I can track their precise locations from anywhere, and get a notification every time one of them moves.

Good luck with that. Here, you file a report online.

i have to say having been involved in the recovery of an expensive skid steer with the use of gps tracking was very rewarding.
the guy is still in jail, & the police recovered a whole lot of stolen equipment on his property! lol :cool:

Sounds like a story! How does one steal a skid steer????

I personally don't rely on the police to find my stolen property. Police solve just 14% of stolen property cases. It's most probable the case ended up in a stack of low priority cases on some rookie's desk, and the vehicle was long gone out of local jurisdiction hours before it was noticed missing. I'd likely still want a police report, just for the record, but I don't have faith in them to find my property. Besides, I'd rather the police keep busy on higher priority cases.

All of my vehicles have a Tile hidden in them connected with an app in my phone. I can track their precise locations from anywhere, and get a notification every time one of them moves.
14%? That's actually way higher than I anticipated.

By the way, which tile do you use and do you do the paid service for it? I was looking into the tile a little the other day.

Back