Tried some popular Euro oils, here's my results

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
So my foray into alternate oils for my VW Golf Sportwagen is over. Prior to this year I was using Liquimoly products and additives exclusively in this car – Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40 and Molygen 5W40 which has the tungsten-based friction modifier. I decided to give a few other popular Euro oils a try that you can get at Walmart or Costco that many here on BITOG recommend/like. Firstly was the ever-popular M1 FS 0W40; I picked up a 6-qt case at Costco for $35 (normal price - they do have it on sale once in a while). Next I tried the QSUD 5W40 from Walmart for $18/5qts (normal price), and finally the new M1 FSx2 5W40 for $24/5qts (rebate didn’t work on this variant for whatever reason). I used Mann filters for each. Did ~4-5K OCIs for each. VOAs and UOAs for both have been posted in their respective forums and should be easy to search/find. My data look fine all the way around with these products as one would expect. My car is modified/tuned and gets driven hard. Typical oil temps are 210-220 but will get up to around 240 with some hooning in the mountains. I see no consumption worth noting with any of the oils I’ve used in it since new. Here are my data:
Capture2.JPG

Capture.JPG

The slighy climb in Fe after the new larger turbo was installed about a year ago...who knows. Will be interesting to watch that trend and see if ~10ppm is the new norm up from ~5 before installing it. Finally, it seems to be that all of these oils on average drop the same/similar amount w/r to viscosity over an interval - I've stopped caring..hahaha

In the end, I like Liquimoly products and have gone back to using them - have Molygen in the car now. I get my LM oil change kits from FCP Euro so after the first kits these are free (less return shipping) with their 100% lifetime replacement guarantee and since I use Paypal to purchase them, I get refunds for the return shipping so these are truly free after the first one! You could even nerd out and get the last one and sell it making the whole thing a free affair. There is a small hassle of returning the used oil etc. which isn’t that much drama to me and I include my other consumables (wipers, cabin filter, blah blah blah when I return things and have 3 vehicles I do this with so get some economy of scale on returns). I used M1 0W40 for a huge portion of my previous ’00 MK4 Jetta’s 14 year/220K life so was always happy with it…it is an excellent oil and I'd use any of these that I tried without hestitation. If one of the local Walmarts ever finally marks that QSUD down below $18 I may get some for my Atlas! It's a rural store so likely not many Euro oil afficianados in the oil section...they had 12 5qt jugs last I was in. Hope these data are useful to others.

No offense and it's a free country and you can do what you want, but don't you think that returning used oil is taking advantage of FCP Euro? I know their guarantee but if one has received the full use of the product, what justification is there to return?

Just wondering. Maybe I am missing something.

No offense and it's a free country and you can do what you want, but don't you think that returning used oil is taking advantage of FCP Euro? I know their guarantee but if one has received the full use of the product, what justification is there to return?

Just wondering. Maybe I am missing something.
Yes, you are missing something. If I had a dollar everytime someone posted this I'd be rich. I'm not going to go into details b/c you can google it...however, they show you and explain how to do just that - return used oil, brake pads, rotors, you name it (*nothing that is used up so addtives for example). Nothing wrong with doing what I and so many others do all the time. "Lifetime Replacement" which is not a warranty, it's literally...."Lifetime Replacement". Clearly their data show you they make more doing it than not from all the other crap we all buy from FCP, the folks that buy and never return, etc. Spend a few minutes on their website. They are legendary for it - this is not a returning 1/4 bottle of wine to Costco b/c you can situation which is more what you and most folks think this is. End.

In before lock.

used amsoil 10-30 in my 2001 1.8T jrtta 275 hp + torque for about 75 thou when it was advertised as PAO, then went to Redlines 10-30 until trade at 200 thou with 20 lb on boost-vac gauge, no analysis NO issues!! currently using Redlines 15-40 + 15-50 in my 300 hp + tq 2001 audi TT 225Q roadster, depending on weather, lo miles but "loose" + the heavier oils show higher vacuum + use less!! both cars with small 4.25 qt sumps so the real synthetic IMO is worth the $$$

Last edited:
So my foray into alternate oils for my VW Golf Sportwagen is over. Prior to this year I was using Liquimoly products and additives exclusively in this car – Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40 and Molygen 5W40 which has the tungsten-based friction modifier. I decided to give a few other popular Euro oils a try that you can get at Walmart or Costco that many here on BITOG recommend/like. Firstly was the ever-popular M1 FS 0W40; I picked up a 6-qt case at Costco for $35 (normal price - they do have it on sale once in a while). Next I tried the QSUD 5W40 from Walmart for $18/5qts (normal price), and finally the new M1 FSx2 5W40 for $24/5qts (rebate didn’t work on this variant for whatever reason). I used Mann filters for each. Did ~4-5K OCIs for each. VOAs and UOAs for both have been posted in their respective forums and should be easy to search/find. My data look fine all the way around with these products as one would expect. My car is modified/tuned and gets driven hard. Typical oil temps are 210-220 but will get up to around 240 with some hooning in the mountains. I see no consumption worth noting with any of the oils I’ve used in it since new. Here are my data:
View attachment 73635

View attachment 73634
The slighy climb in Fe after the new larger turbo was installed about a year ago...who knows. Will be interesting to watch that trend and see if ~10ppm is the new norm up from ~5 before installing it. Finally, it seems to be that all of these oils on average drop the same/similar amount w/r to viscosity over an interval - I've stopped caring..hahaha

In the end, I like Liquimoly products and have gone back to using them - have Molygen in the car now. I get my LM oil change kits from FCP Euro so after the first kits these are free (less return shipping) with their 100% lifetime replacement guarantee and since I use Paypal to purchase them, I get refunds for the return shipping so these are truly free after the first one! You could even nerd out and get the last one and sell it making the whole thing a free affair. There is a small hassle of returning the used oil etc. which isn’t that much drama to me and I include my other consumables (wipers, cabin filter, blah blah blah when I return things and have 3 vehicles I do this with so get some economy of scale on returns). I used M1 0W40 for a huge portion of my previous ’00 MK4 Jetta’s 14 year/220K life so was always happy with it…it is an excellent oil and I'd use any of these that I tried without hestitation. If one of the local Walmarts ever finally marks that QSUD down below $18 I may get some for my Atlas! It's a rural store so likely not many Euro oil afficianados in the oil section...they had 12 5qt jugs last I was in. Hope these data are useful to others.
I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. If your oil is running that hot, I will never buy a VW. Thanks for the warning.

Yes, you are missing something. If I had a dollar everytime someone posted this I'd be rich. I'm not going to go into details b/c you can google it...however, they show you and explain how to do just that - return used oil, brake pads, rotors, you name it (*nothing that is used up so addtives for example). Nothing wrong with doing what I and so many others do all the time. "Lifetime Replacement" which is not a warranty, it's literally...."Lifetime Replacement". Clearly their data show you they make more doing it than not from all the other crap we all buy from FCP, the folks that buy and never return, etc. Spend a few minutes on their website. They are legendary for it - this is not a returning 1/4 bottle of wine to Costco b/c you can situation which is more what you and most folks think this is. End.

In before lock.
OK, my bad. Thanks for the link. They must know what they are doing.

There's no real 'results' here other than all the oils worked perfectly well for their intended purpose. You drive a euro car (albeit modified) and you are using a suitable visocisty and oil specification for your application. The oils you picked were from reputable manafacturers and I'd have been very suprised if you experienced anything different.

I also like Liquimoly products, especially the additives but the lubes are just not competitivley priced in the UK and are often more expensive than the likes of Mobil1.

Thanks for posting this info! I've switched my car over to the Liqui-Moly from FCP also. Hard to beat their oil change kits, and it's super convenient/cost effective for me since there is a post office on campus where I work, and they are located in CT so shipping it back is cheap.

Thanks for posting this info! I've switched my car over to the Liqui-Moly from FCP also. Hard to beat their oil change kits, and it's super convenient/cost effective for me since there is a post office on campus where I work, and they are located in CT so shipping it back is cheap.
It's just about if you like the oils they sell and if you want the small hassle of packing it up and shipping it which to many (I don't blame them) seems outrageous. I have been shipping UPS/Fedex lately and they never even ask much beyond what it is...."autoparts". I always secure the jugs, place in bag, zip tie....it's fine from a leak perspective...the LM containers are very good. If you get M1 0W40 for $22/5qt at Wally and a Wix filter at Napa, you are in for less than $40 and if you get the rebates on the M1, it's less than that so really, this isn't an expensive affair either way. The key is to use Paypal for the FCP purchases then get your refund for the shipping. Remember, it has to be no more than $30 and only 12x a year. You have to stay organized with your orders from FCP and your Paypal charges...again...a pain for some I can see. You can also get other oils beyond LM at FCP - Motul and Pentosin among others.

Just wait until he hears about the oil temps that I regularly see on track. It's spicy!
Or what edy's BMW temps are on the track! I was up in upstate NY (Lake Placid) this past weekend at a wagon event....Avantoberfest. I run the car in manual mode on the DSG and got it up to 235 or so a few times hammering it. Comes right back down. It just doesn't have a great oil cooling system.

20211003_104757.jpg

Back