Travelling to Pittsburgh - advice on attractiions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JC1

Hello fellow Bitogers,

I'm planning a trip to Pittsburgh PA at the end of July. I've looked at various things to do online while I'm there 2-3 days max. I will be with the family wife and young kids.

What are some good things to see and places to eat while I'm there?

Regards, JC

The Carnegie Science Center is great for kids. As well as the Carnegie Museums. Take the Incline to the top of Mt. Washington. It's way cool. PM me for my phone #. I would be more than glad to help you out in any way I can.

Gateway Clipper Boat fleet for sightseeing tours on the rivers.
Carnegie Science Center and Museum as mentioned. Museum to see the dinosaurs.
The Incline as mentioned.
Trolley Museum is about 30 minutes south of Pgh at the Meadowlands exit. You can ride on vintage streetcars there.
Walk to the Point to see the fountain and where the Ohio River starts.
Stop at Grove City Outlets on way, either coming or going, so wife can shop.

Thanks Guys for the tips. The Pirates will be out of town when I'm there.

I also need to visit Harbor Freight when I'm there. ;-) Milkman, I will send you a PM.

Regards, JC.

Harbor Freight is in a mall on Route 51 just past Century III mall if you are on Rout 51 heading south (heading away from Pittsburgh). Or just before Century III on Route 51 if you are heading north towards Pittsburgh.

You can spend a whole day at Kennywood amusement park (a whole day it the right way to see Kennywood). Kennywood has a section of the park with rides sized down for the very young, if any of the kids are too small for the full size rollercoasters and other rides.

The kids will have such a good day at Kennywood that it will be something they will remember for the rest of their lives.

I grew up in Pittsburgh and would recommend (especially for the kids):

- The Zoo
- Carnegie Museum
- The National Aviary
- Science Museum
- Children's Museum

If you don't have a hotel lined up already, I really like the Shadyside Inn.

BTW, if you chose to go to Kennywood, bring along a couple of wash clothes, some towels, and an extra change of clothes for everyone. So that if any of your kids upchucks on you, you have a change of clothes for you and the kid.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
BTW, if you chose to go to Kennywood, bring along a couple of wash clothes, some towels, and an extra change of clothes for everyone. So that if any of your kids upchucks on you, you have a change of clothes for you and the kid.

Load the kids up with junky food and put them on a spinny thing.
Sounds like a fun day!
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back