Toyota Vs. Domestics...........

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured I would start this thread since we seem to be getting OT at the UOA section.
cheers.gif

Alright the Japan vs. domestic! First off lets make sure everyone understands that:

-Toyota was established in the USA in 1957.
-1972 their manufacturing started in the US.
-1973 Calty Research Designs facility opens.
-1986 vehicle production begins in the US.
-In 2002 they had built the 10,000,000 vehicle in NA.
-Direct N America employment is 36349 as of 2003, Dealer 111501, supplier is 46000. The total is 193,850.
-US parts/materials purchased in fy 2002 $17,280,000,000.
-U.S. Philanthropy since 1991 $227,018,000.

Toyota vehicles are equipped with about 75% of its parts from North America. As a matter of fact a good deal of its products are developed and built in the U.S. and shipped over to Japan. These products are made in the good old USA! The engines, transmissions, plastics, sheetmetal and designs are done in the US or NA. The Tacoma, the hottest selling compact in the US was designed by the Calty Research Facility in California. The manufacturing of the Tacoma is in California at the NUMMI and another Toyota Plant south of NUMMI, TABC. The Tundra is built in Indiana and Texas. The engines and trannies for these vehicles are built in NA.

What does this all mean? It means Toyota is about as domestic a vehicle as they come. These vehicles are proudly built here in the US and designed here. We need to be proud of fellow Americans building such fine products.

http://www.toyota.com/about/operations/manufacturing/index.html

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, 2.7 Liter , Mobil1 Synthetic SS 5W-30.
ODO 7200 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner 3.0 V6, Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 83300 Miles.
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

Amkeer;
I completely agree. A lot of people get fired up about Toyotas racing in Nascar, being "Japanese" etc. The way I figure it, if they are making the vehicles here using US workers, they are "investing" more in the US than a "Domestic" make whose production is in say Canada or Mexico (No offense to our neighbors, I'm talking strictly USA baggage regarding "foreign" cars).
Likewise, the same people who complain that Toyota tundras shouldn't be racing against Dodge Trucks. Lets see, a Japanese company selling trucks made in USA vs. a German Company selling trucks made in USA...what's the difference.

I'd drive a Toyota, but personally I don't "get" their styling (always been a Honda guy). I guess you're one or the other deep down inside.

Therefore, we are not buying foreign cars.
smile.gif
I guess we have to buy the luxury up-market vehicles to get a true Japanese car.

Matt,

I like Honda too. I had a Acura Legend. I really like the Accords but I need more space and the truck.

Hkkc,

The 4-Runner is still made in Japan. I believe the Highlander, Land Cruiser and Sequoia are also made in Japan. Nope Sequoia is US made.

[ March 19, 2004, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: Amkeer ]

Now that GM is bringing engines in from China (3.4l for Chevy Equinox) and entire cars from Korea there really is not much of a point talking about "domestics" and "imports" in the US market. Is a Ford built in Mexico a domestic while a Honda built in Ohio is an import? Then there is the whole what to call Chrysler thing
smile.gif

Toyota is all and all by far the best managed automotive manufacturing and marketing company in the world. I don't own a Toyota, but I did buy some Toyota stock some time ago.

Toyota sets the pace now just as GM did in it's heyday. Every automotive company on the planet needs to take into account what they think Toyota is up to in development, techology, quality, procurement, etc. just to stay in the game. On the other hand, most automotive companies would do well to simply ignore GM and Ford whilst going about doing business.

John

John

I couldn't agree more John. That Toyota stock is valuable. Tremendous growth still to come for Toyota.

I do like the new Ford trucks though.

That Honda drivetrain in my 04 Vue sure is smooth. We looked at the Pilot, but even if you spend $30K, you still can't order it with a moonroof. For $25 got the Vue with the Honda V6, moonroof, MP3 player and leather seats. The engine is made in Japan, seats in Mexico, MP3 player in ??. So much for "domestic" cars. Well, they do assemble them in my town at least...

Weren't the original Saturns mostly U.S. made? If they were, at least I can say I truly owned an American car.

This has been my point for a long long time. The origin of ther Company name is unimportant. The big picture is much more important. THe line between import or domestic is jaged and fuzzy and is not a simple name game! I am glad that so many people here get this! Now if we could get the rest of the USA to understand this then we might see some change in how business is conducted!

This has been my point for a long long time. The origin of ther Company name is unimportant. The big picture is much more important. THe line between import or domestic is jaged and fuzzy and is not a simple name game! I am glad that so many people here get this! Now if we could get the rest of the USA to understand this then we might see some change in how business is conducted!

I have always like voteing with my wallet! It is a small wallet but if enough people send the same message free market economy tends to corect things faster then politicians can!

John,

It is amazing how ignorant the masses can be about this domestic/import thing. They think that if they buy a Ford, Chevy, Chrysler or Dodge they are buying American and that just isn't true anymore. I don't know if its laziness or if the "Other Four" think that its "good enough" for the majority in our remote control society. I think the "Other Four" are more concerned about the UAW than they are about refining and perfecting their products, meanwhile Japan is steadily plugging along at a decent clip. It reminds me of a boxing match and the "Other Four" find themselves against the ropes.

quote:

Originally posted by Amkeer:
I figured I would start this thread since we seem to be getting OT at the UOA section.
cheers.gif

Alright the Japan vs. domestic! First off lets make sure everyone understands that:

-Toyota was established in the USA in 1957.
-1972 their manufacturing started in the US.
-1973 Calty Research Designs facility opens.
-1986 vehicle production begins in the US.
-In 2002 they had built the 10,000,000 vehicle in NA.
-Direct N America employment is 36349 as of 2003, Dealer 111501, supplier is 46000. The total is 193,850.
-US parts/materials purchased in fy 2002 $17,280,000,000.
-U.S. Philanthropy since 1991 $227,018,000.

Toyota vehicles are equipped with about 75% of its parts from North America. As a matter of fact a good deal of its products are developed and built in the U.S. and shipped over to Japan. These products are made in the good old USA! The engines, transmissions, plastics, sheetmetal and designs are done in the US or NA. The Tacoma, the hottest selling compact in the US was designed by the Calty Research Facility in California. The manufacturing of the Tacoma is in California at the NUMMI and another Toyota Plant south of NUMMI, TABC. The Tundra is built in Indiana and Texas. The engines and trannies for these vehicles are built in NA.

What does this all mean? It means Toyota is about as domestic a vehicle as they come. These vehicles are proudly built here in the US and designed here. We need to be proud of fellow Americans building such fine products.

http://www.toyota.com/about/operations/manufacturing/index.html

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, 2.7 Liter , Mobil1 Synthetic SS 5W-30.
ODO 7200 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner 3.0 V6, Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 83300 Miles.
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

Don't forget Toyota is building its newest plant right here in San Antonio, TX!

quote:

Originally posted by Amkeer:
Matt,

I like Honda too. I had a Acura Legend. I really like the Accords but I need more space and the truck.

Hkkc,

The 4-Runner is still made in Japan. I believe the Highlander, Land Cruiser and Sequoia are also made in Japan. Nope Sequoia is US made.

I like the trucks but would not own one. Highlander is built in U.S. Therefore, next car has to be a Lexus. I know RX330 is made in Canada but some are still coming from Japan.

That is one thing about GM that is a big let down: building cars in China of all places. I really hope they stop this and bring it back home!

There was a documentary on Pay TV last night, on David Hicks, the Aussie in Guantanamo.

His father was trapseing around the middle east, trying to find out about his son.

It surprised me that all of the people that they met in Afghanistan were all Toyota drivers. Mostly the solid landcruisers, and Hilux variants.

There were some pretty neat models there, also. We get 2 door troop carriers, while they had 4 door versions.

Shannow,

The Special Forces uses the double cab Tacomas in Afghanistan. They can pick whatever they want and their choice is the Toyota Tacoma.

Amkeer;
Slightly OT, but I saw that Honda will be coming out with a crossover super utility truck-like vehicle like the Chevy avalanche. I am very curious to see what it's like even though I don't need a truck at this point.

Interesting topic! My Ford Explorer has an engine built in Germany, and a transmission built in France(
shocked.gif
) of all places! It seems that a Toyota is more "American" built than my Ford.

Does Toyota still build a 2-dr RAV 4, or any 2-dr SUV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back