Toyota/Lexus 2UZ-FE V8 valve adjustment?

In my 2003 Sequoia specifically. Finding no useful information on the procedure beyond CHECKING the clearance. Most posts say its never needed, even on 200 or 300,000 mile engines. Maybe so, but at 500,000 miles it might have a few out of spec. Some suggest you have to remove the cam to change the valve adjustment shims and others say there is a Toyota tool you can use. Anybody know what that tool is? Since I'll be replacing the timing belt, that would be the perfect time to do the valve adjustment if you have to take out the cams.

Our local Toyota dealer told me it’s too cost prohibitive to check/adjust, even at 240k miles. Said if I’m not having issues with the engine, not to touch them.

I have about 80% of the factory service manual on my garage computer, I can check it later today to see if I have that section that discusses the tool and the procedure. I have about 160,000 on my '01 and the valves are silent, so I don't plant to check them anytime soon, if ever since I only use the Sequoia a couple thousand miles a year at most anymore since the kids are grown and moved out.

You could go onto the Tundrasolutions forum to the engine section and do a search, if you need an answer quicker, I think its been talked about there a few times... I've had so few problems with the Sequoia in 15 years of ownership that I hardly go there anymore.

A little noisy would be annoying but not a problem, especially when cold. It's when they are silent and clearances are tight that you burn valves.

Just looking at the depth of the buckets I don't see how there could possibly be a way to remove one shim and replace it with another without removing the camshafts, special tool or otherwise.

I did this on my Toyota 3rz and first you can check the clearance. Then if it is off there are the special tools, not just from Toyota. One tool presses the outside rim on the bucket down, while some other tool like a pick, lifts the shim out. You measure the shim with a micrometer, not just a caliper, then get a thicker or thinner shim from Toyota to get the clearance you need. They are like $8 or so. Press the bucket back down and carefully slide the shim into the recess. But just to check doesn't need all that, just a socket to turn the crankshaft pulley and to remove the valve covers. Which on that v8 may or may not be a chore I don't know. A special tool actually isn't required, probably can make something, but anyway it's only if it needs a shim to be changed.

Toyota used a SOB design on the early 2UZs, but the new VVT-i engines before the current UR-series V8s were used had either a shim-under-bucket or fixed bucket design. There’s a guy on ClubLexus how disassembled the cams on a 3UZ-FE. As long as you do not touch the bolts on the VVT-i actuator, if your engine is the VVT variant.

To adjust the clearance, you measure the clearance, pull the cams, measure the shim and determine what shim is needed to give you the desired clearance. No way to get the shim out without pulling the cam and buckets

2003 doesn’t have VVT-i so it’s a little easier. Shim under bucket style. Just put a bolt into the exhaust cam driven scissor gear to keep the correct preload/alignment on the teeth before you remove any cams

Our local Toyota dealer told me it’s too cost prohibitive to check/adjust, even at 240k miles. Said if I’m not having issues with the engine, not to touch them.
I have heard our service department say this on Fords and Mazdas with the bucket shim type adjustment. We don't stock them so it would put the vehicle down for a week or so for the parts to come in. We will do them when doing a repair obviously. We had a tech who wanted the heads sent out with the cams to a machine shop to do it, so I read the procedure and taught myself how to do it since that was a pain, and we don't really have a competent machine shop locally anymore.

on shim OVER bucket engines there are methods of doing it without removing the cam. this is the valve spring compression tool for the jaguar v8, the air nozzle is just to blow the shim out.

leave it alone unless you have to pull the heads for some reason

Attachments

• D01A375B-4800-42D0-B297-456336BEE5B1.jpeg
    D01A375B-4800-42D0-B297-456336BEE5B1.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Back