Under valve cover pic from 500,000 mile Toyota.

Why do people post pictures but not include any other information, like oil and filters used and what change interval?

Well, here's a educated guess. 500,000 miles and 18 years represents probably 100 oil changes if done every 5000 miles. It's probably not practical to list every oil used and besides oil formulations have changed several times in 20 years. Also, if obtained used, the owner has no idea.

Starting in on this 03 Sequoia replacing the timing belt and water pump, plugs, filters, and valve clearance check or adjustment. Got the right valve cover off and it looks very clean inside.

View attachment 68221
View attachment 68222

That era of Toyota SUVs and trucks is truly legendary for build design and quality. This looks fantastic for a HALF MILLION miles.

Say what? I’ve seen plenty of this era Toyota trucks and suvs with rotted frames and blown transmissions.
"Rotted frames" was addressed in a big recall that fixed them. I've never heard anything about widespread transmission problems and the opposite is true, those 4 and 5 speed transmissions are robust. This era of vehicles routinely clocks in over 1/2 million miles with 1 million mile examples out there. FYI, these hold their value better than nearly any peers of the era. Good examples cost as much or more today than they did new, for a reason.

Looks good for an engine with that mileage. I bet the previous owners used Mobil 1. Not sure if the Toyota V8s had any sludge issues like the 3.0 V6s did. My 98 sienna had a bit of sludge and varnish.

"Rotted frames" was addressed in a big recall that fixed them. I've never heard anything about widespread transmission problems and the opposite is true, those 4 and 5 speed transmissions are robust. This era of vehicles routinely clocks in over 1/2 million miles with 1 million mile examples out there. FYI, these hold their value better than nearly any peers of the era. Good examples cost as much or more today than they did new, for a reason.
I’d say frame rot is a big deal, no? These routinely have trannies fail, they weren’t built for the 1/2 Ton truck work that people wanted to use them for.

Fords and Chevys go to half a million miles too. I guess that’s really all i have to say to you.

Say what? I’ve seen plenty of this era Toyota trucks and suvs with rotted frames and blown transmissions.

Fords of the time had rusty frames too. Both were supplied by Dana, and both got money from Dana after the rusting became apparent. The difference is that Toyota actually used the Dana settlement money to fix or replace their frames, while Ford pocketed the money.

Well, here's a educated guess. 500,000 miles and 18 years represents probably 100 oil changes if done every 5000 miles. It's probably not practical to list every oil used and besides oil formulations have changed several times in 20 years. Also, if obtained used, the owner has no idea.

He picked it up at an auction recently:

We don't even know if it is the original engine at this point.

I'm waiting for someone to mention that it has some varnish....
It has some varnish..... :p

Maybe he disconnected the speedometer and connected it to a drill for several day to up the odometer reading? :ROFLMAO:

Maybe he ran a gallon of Xylene through the engine for a day and then drain the oil and took the pictures to trick us? :ROFLMAO:

Maybe they are highly photo shopped pictures? :ROFLMAO:

Back