Toyota Dealerships in SE out of GTMO 0W-20

What Toyota model? I could give my Corolla vegetable oil and it'd last 400k miles if changed by the manual recommendation (mild sarcasm). I've run NAPA syn and Super Tech and TGMO. They all last for reasonably normal intervals and reasonably normal driving conditions. Don't sweat it. Buy a cheap one with the correct symbols and certifications and you'll be fine.

I note a general disagreement between a number of Mobil 1 fans and Valvoline fans claiming their oil is tops in this thread. I herewith enclose a link to 5 separate ASTM scientific tests performed on 10 different brands of 5W 30 synthetic oil (including Mobil 1 EP and Valvoline Syn Power, among others) conducted by an "independent laboratory" (that has done work for NASA and the armed forces). No one oil company topped the charts in every single category. If you are curious to determine how well Mobil and Valvoline had done, then I invite you to examine the results of the tests, which is as follows:

http://wpc.1c96.edgecastcdn.net/001C96/G-Items/Performance Testing Archives/g3115-5w30-study-archived-2013/files/html5/index.html

It figures. Another Amsoil link. You’re two for two.

I note a general disagreement between a number of Mobil 1 fans and Valvoline fans claiming their oil is tops in this thread. I herewith enclose a link to 5 separate ASTM scientific tests performed on 10 different brands of 5W 30 synthetic oil (including Mobil 1 EP and Valvoline Syn Power, among others) conducted by an "independent laboratory" (that has done work for NASA and the armed forces). No one oil company topped the charts in every single category. If you are curious to determine how well Mobil and Valvoline had done, then I invite you to examine the results of the tests, which is as follows:

http://wpc.1c96.edgecastcdn.net/001C96/G-Items/Performance Testing Archives/g3115-5w30-study-archived-2013/files/html5/index.html
OK, so page 4 is the 4-ball wear test, which in no way is relevant to engine oils. There are two version of this test, one for greases, one for gear oils. It's a test for EP applications, a category which engines don't fall under.

Page 5 is TBN. This isn't relevant to oil performance in service, it's more germane to service life, so it will be higher, typically, for an extended drain oil.

Page 6 is CCS. All tested oils are within range with the heaviest oil (Redline) being the highest, that shouldn't be surprising.

Page 7 is Teost, All oils with the exception of the one that isn't API approved in the first place (Redline) passed.

Page 8 is Noack, all look pretty good except for Lucas. Redline, being the heaviest, also had the lowest Noack, no surprise there.

Getting ready to do my second oil change, called two local dealerships and both are out of GTMO 0W-20.

Between the following, which would you use?
Mobil1 0W-20 Extended Performance
Valvoline 0W-20 Extended Protection
Quaker State Ultimate Durability 0W-20
Eneos 0W-20 (Can get a 6 gallon case down at the NAPER)
TGMO is made by ExxonMobil; so, Mobil 1 0W-20 EP would not only be a somewhat similar substitute but would give the benefits of extended drain (PAO base oil and more antioxidant).

TGMO 0W-20 used to have POE—not sure now. None of the listed oils have POE, but ILSAC Mobil 1 oils have AN, which is a less effective but alternative solvency and cleaning substitute.

Nice cut and paste there about the test being a "gold standard", along with an Amsoil advertisement stuck in for added benefit.

ASTM D4171 can be used as a screening test for lubricant qualification but it does not translate into ICE operation. As someone who actually did work in a research laboratory I can tell you that yes we did do certain screening tests that weren't representative of the final product properties. This is one of them.

You don't really know what you're talking about do you?

What Toyota model? I could give my Corolla vegetable oil and it'd last 400k miles if changed by the manual recommendation (mild sarcasm). I've run NAPA syn and Super Tech and TGMO. They all last for reasonably normal intervals and reasonably normal driving conditions. Don't sweat it. Buy a cheap one with the correct symbols and certifications and you'll be fine.
'21 Corolla LE J-VIN with the 2ZR-FAE engine - Will be sticking to the 5k / 6 mo OCI.

Nice cut and paste there about the test being a "gold standard", along with an Amsoil advertisement stuck in for added benefit.

ASTM D4171 can be used as a screening test for lubricant qualification but it does not translate into ICE operation. As someone who actually did work in a research laboratory I can tell you that yes we did do certain screening tests that weren't representative of the final product properties. This is one of them.

Not to mention that 100°C is 212°F...

Which really paints the rest of his novel a certain shade of BS.

Three posts and all of them are Amsoil testaments.

From what I can find it's way different, TGMO has a ton of moly in it, like 600 or 700ppm.
You may be right. A quick Google FU says its Mobil Super Syn with a special add pack.
My 100k Tundra seems to enjoy Castrol the best. I might just grab some OEM and
give it a try. Lord knows we love moly.
Happy Tanksgiving (pun).
God Bless America

Some years ago when I was utilizing a certain engineering lab for their expertise in analyzing various projects covering a wide range of engineering disciples, I consulted with their PhD Mechanical Engineer, who was for a long time associated with the Society of Automotive Engineers (an expert both with mechanics and vehicles) and I also consulted with their PhD Metallurgical Engineer (an expert with metals) to independently determine the value of the four ball test. They informed me that the four ball test met the standard ASTM D 4172-94 (which included both the ANSI standard B3.12 and the ASTM standard D 2266), so it was considered the "gold standard of testing" to determine the boundary ability of a particular oil to prevent metal degradation inside the engine.

*snip* Marketing *snip*

The reason the 4-ball test isn't included in any of the API or ACEA sequences is because it isn't relevant. Full stop. Marketing fluff, internet cut and pastes and all that nonsense cast aside, if you look up the testing protocols, they clearly state that these are EP tests, and EP conditions don't exist inside internal combustion engines, that's why these tools are used for gear oils and greases but the same manufacturers don't use them for engine oils. Why do you think AMSOIL is the only company that uses the results of this test for marketing engine oils?

screen-shot-2020-08-12-at-9-39-18-am-png.26811

The response to this question also applies to the 4-ball test, not just the one-armed bandit that the RP peddlers are famous for:

Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 8.48.24 PM.png

I like AMSOIL, but a cut and paste of other material that has technical errors isn’t doing anyone any good.

If we’re talking about oil, and we’re technically correct, fine.

If we’re answering the OP question, also fine.

But specious posts that fail on both counts aren’t helping.

Oil switched out to Valvoline Extended Protection 0W-20 for about 17.50 with MIR after tax. She seems to like it just fine.

Back