Toyota claims 10K Synth vs 5K Conv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lexus114
55-58 MILES TO THE GALLON!!!!????? HOLY [censored]!
The C is already rated higher than the standard Prius, and it isn't difficult to get above the EPA Highway rating by just driving 55-60. It's a tiny engine using the Atkinson cycle (more efficient).

My insight gets 75-80 (+10 over its rating). Three cylinder w/ lean burn. Even in stop-and-go I average that amount because of liberal use of the "engine stop" and coasting. I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to MPG. It's like playing a videogame to get the highscore.

Last edited:
Of 173 2010 Prius owners, they averaged 49.3 with a range of 35 to 74 (fueleconomy.gov).[
Originally Posted By: Gokhan
The better question is: What is your agenda in accusing people of lying?
You assume that the Prius battery MUST be replaced, because you want to dissuade people from buying the car. That's like assuming a car needs to replace its engine & the owner should factor-in the $4000 cost for it. In reality the Prius battery is a permanent install like an engine; you should never need to replace it.

If money saving is your primary objective buy a used car (half as much as new). And something like a Civic HX or HF or Toyota Echo or Yaris or Chevy CruzeEco that are about 5000 dollars less than prius. All of these cars are rated over 40+ the highway... very close to the Prius or Civic Hybrids at 45-49.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gokhan
According to EPA, 1985 Volvo diesel automatic is 21 city, 24 highway, 23 combined. Manual is 22/28/24.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=532
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=533

That's for one of the old diesel tank jobs. The best old Volvo is the slightly smaller V40 1.9D that has a modified Renault Laguna main block. They are post 2002, so have all the bling bling ECU type boxes, but only petrol V40's were sold in the USA.

Fuel Consumption Imperial (miles per gallon)
Urban
38.20 MPG
Extra-Urban
65.70 MPG
Combined
52.30 MPG

Fuel Consumption US Gallons (miles per gallon)
Urban
31.81 MPG
Extra-Urban
54.70 MPG
Combined
43.54 MPG

The old V40 diesels are fast becoming a collectors item in the EU, as the 115hp version has enough power for the autobahn and all the safety features, BUT was the last car built before all the back specing and reverse quality control started. They were the last of the, "Built to last Volvos". The other older Volvo tanks are good, but even the diesels guzzel gas.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyship
Extra-Urban
54.70 MPG
So they would get 42 to 44 MPG on the EPA highway test. That's less than the 2002 VW diesels did. Not impressed.

OK, these EU tests don't really mean much, just as the Japanese tests, which typically get 75 MPG for Corolla and 100+ MPG for Prius don't mean much.

Consumer Reports tests are closest to real-world results, although they overestimated the MPG of new Corolla by several MPG. I was typically getting about 27 MPG with the new Corolla as opposed to 32 MPG they got. The new EPA tests are also fairly close to the real-world results. On the new Corolla, it was 29 MPG -- closer to what I got.

Originally Posted By: theaveng
Extra-Urban
54.70 MPG
So they would get 42 to 44 MPG on the EPA highway test. That's less than the 2002 VW diesels did. Not impressed.

No one interested in a long lasting engine buys a VW, just look at the UOA's posted in this forum. VW cars are built to be cheaper and they nearly all develop high oil consumption or cam shaft oil leaks past 100K km. Safe cars tend to be heavier for obvious reasons.
The smart thing about the V40 was it was based on a block designed to produce 130 hp in the Renault Laguna and then de-rated to 115 hp. You can get the engine re-mapped if you are a boy racer, but de-tuned diesels are similar to marine ones in terms of a far longer life expectancy.
There are only about a dozen V40 1.9D owners in my local town, but two of them are past 400K km and three past 300K km, all without removing the head, although one 400K chap did fit a recon turbo due to oil leaks.
Renault build poor quality cars, but many of their main blocks were world class in durability terms.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: theaveng
So the Volvos would get 42 to 44 MPG on the EPA highway test. That's less than the 2002 VW diesels did. Not impressed.

No one interested in a long lasting engine buys a VW, just look at the UOA's posted in this forum.
Way to dodge the fact your Volva MPG isn't merely "average" among the high-MPG crowd. Lots of U.S. compac cars get 42-44mpg. Or more (the hybrids).

I am running 5000 intervals on my 2012 Toyota FJ even though they say 10000 mile interval.

May not be needed but it makes me feel better.

Using both Toyota an Amsoil 0W-20.

My Prius C has a best-tank mpg of 61. It was a lot of work, but owners with a better commute profile can easily get better. Your mpg would largely depend on your drive profile. If you do more highway you'll get around 48mpg. If you drive in the city you'll get more like 53+. Careful and artistic driving will net you much better. Imprudent driving, cold weather, and lots of heat/ac will drop the mpg's precipitously.

I've always been a big fan of 5k mile oil changes and will continue that for all the other cars. I use PP or M1 for all of them. I don't use conventional any more. It's not my mission to eke out the last tiny bit of performance/value. I don' care that much about it, and 5k on syn is fine by me.

However, on the C I will scoot that out to 10k. I've seen some good UOAs and it seems legit. However, 7.5k is interesting, too. Over 10k miles, I'll probably have 25%-ish of that in electric mode. that would be about 7.5k. If I went 7.5k it would be about 5k miles of engine use, which would be perfect for old prejudices to be made happy.

Decisions, decisions. I try real hard not to agonize over these things but sometimes I just can't help it.

Found this on the Toyota web site now:

Quote:
My vehicle uses conventional motor oil. If I switch to synthetic motor oil can I extend the oil change intervals?

Toyota does not recommend extending the oil change interval. We recommend continuing to follow your vehicle's Warranty and Maintenance Guide.

http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pages/faqs#answers/detail/a_id/7747

and

Quote:
My vehicle uses conventional motor oil, but I’m thinking about switching to synthetic motor oil. Can I do this?

Yes, as long as the synthetic oil is the same viscosity (weight) as the recommended conventional oil, and meets or exceeds the oil grade. However, the oil change interval will still remain every 5,000-miles or 6-months even if using synthetic oil.

http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pages/faqs#answers/detail/a_id/7746

It seems like Toyota has changed it's mind!

We have two Toyotas in the family 2008 Tacoma and 4Runner. Both have the 4L V6. Both are driven 90% highway miles and very little big city stop and go. Both vehicles have been on M1, and 10,000k OCI since their warranty expired. At present both vehicles have over 110k miles and honestly use less than 1/2 qt of oil between oil changes. I check them every other week. Oh yea, I also change the oil filter at 5000k, and usually add less than a cup of oil at that time for a top off. I see no reason why Toyota's 4.0L V6, can't go routine 10k OCI, using a good synthetic, without harm to the engines. Both of ours run like tops. I have been using M1, for probably 30 years now and am completely happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back