Towing with GM Light Duty 3.0L diesel

I have a GM 1500 truck with light duty 3.0L diesel. No problems with using the recommended 0w-20 oil in winter when not towing, but in summer (where it gets up to 100F here) while towing an 8K lbs trailer, I'm thinking I need something more heavy duty. I do OCI every 5K miles regardless of anything. What would you say is best from the following list, and do you see any problem using any of these besides the recommended oil:

Mobil 1 ESP 0w-30
Penzoil Ultra Platinum Euro LX 0w-30
Castrol Edge Euro Formula 0w-30
Valvoline European 0w-30

Mobil 1 is the most expensive by far, so would prefer to use one of the other three if they are comparable.

No, nor have I seen any that it does. GM cares mostly about fuel economy, emissions, and the engine lasting through the warranty period. My priorities are quite different. Nor have a seen any evidence that GM tests it engines while towing for extended periods, which again makes me suspect their choice of a 20 weight oil. I keep my cars/trucks minimum 200K miles.

I'm also curious if the engine oil temperature is hotter in summer than it is in the cooler months. From what I understand the engine oil temperature in the 3.0L is thermostatically controlled to run at 235°F. What engine oil temperature do you see towing?

It's a new truck--have not done any towing with it yet. But want to be prepared when I do. And the truck does run hot by design (mostly for emission purposes, I've learned). And this is why I'm concerned about 20W oil--putting an oil cooler on it is not an option.

Last edited:
Meh! I looked at those and found out the oil pump is belt driven!! You're supposed to "inspect" the belt at 150k miles. OK... but wait, the transmission is in the way so you need to drop that first.

How heavy can you go with the oil before you over stress that belt over the life of the engine?

There is no 10w30 oil that comes close to meeting the required specs of these new generation diesels with complicated emissions equipment and low sulpher fuel requirements. I need at least an MB 229.51 spec. oil.

There is no 10w30 oil that comes close to meeting the required specs of these new generation diesels with complicated emissions equipment and low sulpher fuel requirements. I need at least an MB 229.51 spec. oil.
Mobil 1 makes a 5w40 turbo diesel oil that has this spec if there is no 10w30.

Meh! I looked at those and found out the oil pump is belt driven!! You're supposed to "inspect" the belt at 150k miles. OK... but wait, the transmission is in the way so you need to drop that first.

How heavy can you go with the oil before you over stress that belt over the life of the engine?
I have had a number of Honda V6s over the years--all have timing belts that need to be changed every 100K miles, at a cost of about $1K. And I love those engines, as they are indestructible (as long as you change the timing belt). I've got no problem with a kevlar oil pump belt that's bathed in oil. And you don't have to "drop" the transmission--you have to unbolt it and slide it back. It's a 3-4 hour job for someone that knows what they are doing. Will cost less than my Honda timing belt to change. Now if you have a 4x4 with a transfer case, that is a bit more of a pain to deal with.

Last edited:
I agree with what you are thinking. I'd run any of those 0w-30's if they meet spec.
But that's the problem--none of them do (GM only specifies 0w20, Dexos-D). Mobil does make a Dexos-D spec 0w20 ESP x2 that fits the bill, but now we are back to 20w. Basically I'm trying to figure out if there is anything special/unique about the Dexos-D spec that can't be met by 0w30 oils that have an MB 229.51 spec. or a VW 5400 spec.

But that's the problem--none of them do (GM only specifies 0w20, Dexos-D). Mobil does make a Dexos-D spec 0w20 ESP x2 that fits the bill, but now we are back to 20w. Basically I'm trying to figure out if there is anything special/unique about the Dexos-D spec that can't be met by 0w30 oils that have an MB 229.51 spec. or a VW 5400 spec.
I would go in depth about the specifications, some are low saps oil and low ash but do not carry the fuel efficiency requirement and therefore cannot be specified for certain specifications.

Mobil makes 10w30 delvac that is low saps and ash.

I don't think DexosD is very special, I think it's mostly just ACEA C5, which is like ACEA C3 but 20 grade instead of thick 30 or 40 grade. Essentially it's just a mid SAPS 0W20 like BMW LL-17FE, or MB 229.71, or VW 508/509.

I don't think DexosD is very special, I think it's mostly just ACEA C5, which is like ACEA C3 but 20 grade instead of thick 30 or 40 grade. Essentially it's just a mid SAPS 0W20 like BMW LL-17FE, or MB 229.71, or VW 508/509.
Hope you are right. I'm going to to give the Valvoline Euro 0w-30 a try, as it's the cheapest but still has a lot of good Euro turbo diesel approvals from MB and VW. I don't want to go above 30w because I'm concerned about flow on start up even in warm temps.

If you're in a warmer climate, 10W30 should be fine, I'd be apt to try out Chevron's new Delo 600 ADF, it's pretty much phosphorus free and only .39% ash so it should help in protecting your DPF for the long term. Although it's market seems limited, O'Reilly recently began carrying it online,, before you could only get is at a Chevron distributor. https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/chevron-delo-600-adf-sample.338656/

I have read many posts here about how great 0-40 is. maybe that is the new do it all weight oil? I imagine 0-20 has a lot to do with trying to hit some magical mpg number.

I have read many posts here about how great 0-40 is. maybe that is the new do it all weight oil? I imagine 0-20 has a lot to do with trying to hit some magical mpg number.
0W40 is kind of hard to find in a mid-saps formula, about the only one commonly available in the US is Mobil 1 ESP 0W40 and that's like $9/qt, it's only application is really the new Corvette's and I guess the old 2.8L "duramax" in the Canyon\Colorado.
If you want to use something thicker than 0W20 but you want to maintain Euro mid-SAPS specs, I'd go with 5W30 Pennzoil Euro L or 5W30 Castrol Edge LL, they're both available under $25/jug from Walmart.

Back