Towing with GM Light Duty 3.0L diesel

Talk about off topic!

I think it's a GM conspiracy to have the monopoly on oil changes for these engines at least until either other oil companies pay up for the Dexos-D license or warranties run out and people just use whatever. It's all about the money. 💸🤑💴💲

Your close. Regardless of outside temp the oil always runs a minimum of 230.
When oil hits 200 the coolant with rise in temp to bring oil to 230 and then return to regular coolant operating temp of 210-215.

Then during highway or regular driving I see. 230-239 oil temps

While towing on the freeway mid summer 100+ or winter -10 the oil is basically the same and will hover 240-255.
At 260 the coolant will drop down to 180 and cool the oil off.

The truck has a very set range of temps for the oil and coolant. And with a OBDII reader I monitor basically every coolant and oil temp I can. It’s a very interesting system and for now it works great. But I also question 0w20 for anything but fuel efficiency.
I switched to esp x2 and only have another 1500 miles before I will change it and run another UOA. From what I’ve seen on fb basically every UOA with delco 0w20 has posted iron levels 50+ and some even much higher!. I’m hoping the esp does produce lower levels and only time will tell. But I do know I’ll be switching to the 5w30 on my next change.
Have you ever done UOA for your ESP X2?

Back