tips and advice needed for starter gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the one, Bill In Utah. Thank you for the reassurance on my choice and also for the very important warning to be safe!

When I was in the store handling the gun, the only thing I checked was the "feel" of the cylinder after I swung it out (quality machining IMO)- even though it was indeed unloaded there was NO WAY I would test the trigger in there! Maybe I'm a bit paranoid but I *seriously* doubt I will ever change in that regard.

Yeah, the waiting period is a bummer but perhaps it's time to get a CCW permit again 'cause there's no waiting period if you have one in Warshington State.

Originally Posted By: Crashbox

When I was in the store handling the gun, the only thing I checked was the "feel" of the cylinder after I swung it out (quality machining IMO)- even though it was indeed unloaded there was NO WAY I would test the trigger in there!

When I'm looking at guns I always ask the guys behind the counter if it's OK to dry fire it. I want to know how the trigger feels, and on a revolver I like to test the singe and double action trigger pull.

All center fire guns should have no problem dry firing them. Of course, you don't want to dry fire a rim fire gun, like a 22 LR, as the firing pin will hit the edge of the chamber and damage the tip of the firing pin.

I guess I have an awful lot of old school in me- even though I knew Ruger mentioned in their manuals that it was OK to dry-fire their revolvers such as the GP100, I still would not do so without something such as an eraser or one of them newfangled "Snap-Cap" thingies. I just can't bring myself to do it.

If you want a firearm for under $400 and it being your first handgun, I suggest getting a revolver. It is much easier to buy a quality revolver for that price than a semi-auto.

I recently got my first HD gun. I got an XD-9 full size. It was a bit more than your price range, but IMO is a perfect first gun. I bought the gun, kept it unloaded and learned it inside and out (youtube rulez), then took 2 classes and some range time. I feel very comfortable with it. Two safeties, but none you have to think about.

It is an addicting hobby. Now I want a 12 ga and once I get my CCW probably a Bersa Thunder .380 cc if .380 becomes available again
frown.gif
Hard to find and pricy right now.

Can't go wrong with a Glock, XD, M+P, or Ruger SR9 IMO. Watch Nutnfancy's videos, they are great. The glock 27 (.40sw) had a little too small of a grip for me, but a better carry gun than a full size XD.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back