tips and advice needed for starter gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ironic that night-sights work best in daytime.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
I think people are more prone to learning the "flinch" when they start off with a large caliber.
That said, I shot my friends Dad's little Kahr .40. I thought, "This little thing is gonna kick like a [censored]." It was only appreciably stiffer than my 9mm. I also shot his service USPc .45 and that seemed to have more recoil although it might have just been more flip-up.

I enjoy the "crack" of my 9mm Storm carbine. Am I odd for liking such?

Ive been thinking I want one of those. I want another handgun first though. I am thinking HK45, or maybe even a 629. kekekeke.

Last edited by a moderator:
If this is your first pistol, I'd recommend going to a range and grab an instructor, your wife and shoot some different guns.

Personally for the first firearm, I've recommended hundreds of times a 4 inch .357 revolver (a little more than $400 now) which can shoot cheaper .38sp ammo and also the .357 mag round which is VERY GOOD for SD.

The Ruger is an excellent weapon (I own several for decades) that shoot well and are very rugged.
thumbsup2.gif

I used to own several Glocks and have sold all of them and went to the S&W M&P platform about 3 years ago.

If you are thinking about more than owning a single gun, then I'd recommend a 22lr revolver (or semiauto) first and shoot the heck out of it.

The big problem right now is the cost of the ammo and *if* you can get ammo in any caliber. Plus a lot of models of guns are sold out due to our political climate.
smirk2.gif

Make sure you look at the cost and availability of ammo on whatever you decide. A firearm with out ammo is not good (and the idiots back east and some states know that)

Shooting is a great sport. I go out at least once a week most of the year. Nothing beats a gallon milk jug full of water being hit by a .357 HP or .44mag HP...
grin2.gif

Take care, bill

Here are a few guns that have been discussed here. (or close to the same size)

Top to bottom.

S&W 638 .38+p (VERY hard to shoot since it weights LOADED 17 oz compared to the GP100 with the same loads)

S&W M&P 9mm Compact (one of the BEST compact guns. Shoots very well but compared to a full size gun harder to shoot (which you can see is not that much bigger unless you are carrying it)

Ruger GP100 4" .357 (one of my favorite firearms (and I own more than the 4 shown) (easy to shoot, VERY SIMPLE) Everyone should own at least one!
grin2.gif

Ruger P89 9mm. (prob one of the nicest shooting 9mm out there)

Bottom line, please go out and shoot BEFORE you buy anything. A Glock (or ANY compact) would NOT be my first and only gun.

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
wow, that H&K you mentioned almost looks like it's a replica of the Glock 26...
p2000_SK_large_leftfront.jpg
pg26.gif

And so does the Springfield XD9:
saxd_05.jpg

MANY guns are made to mirror the Glock. When you make something great, eveyone wants to copy. . . The Glock 26 is very nice. Great gun. You may want to look at the Glock 27 as well. . .

IMO, a Glock would not be a good first gun. Esp a baby one.

You need something that will teach you and your wife how to shoot and a revolver is simple, easy to verify that it is in a safe position and a .357 shoots .38sp which is a great learning round.

No Mags/clips to worry about, no dropping the mag/clip accidentally, taking out the mag/clip and still having a round chambered to go off.

Plus the .357 is THE SD round out there...

Now with that all said, what do I carry? I carry the .38sp +P 638 or a S&W M&P .40c..

The wife carries the S&W M&P 9mm compact.

But her night stand weapon is a S&W L frame 4 inch .357 revolver. Someone knocks at the door that is what she has with her at night when I'm at work.

If you come into the house, she will shoot you dead. Also in the closet is a 12 gauge shotgun with everything that can hurt anything (shot plus slugs).

I used to do Glocks for a long time (had a 9mm (17/19) .40 (21/23/27) and /45acp (21) so I know what I'm talking about.

Sold all of them once something came out better for ME. After seeing too many kabooms at the range, I decided to go somewhere else.

Plus the big thing is S&W are made here and since all that needs to happen is someone to stop imports your Glock, H&K, XP will have parts problems.

Again, take out the Glock and also shoot something else. But for a first gun, I know a revolver would be a excellent FIRST gun (don't worry, you'll buy more as long as we can)

IF you do buy a semi, make sure you get a few mags RIGHT AWAY. (if you can)

Take care, bill

I agree with the recommendations for a .38 revolver. A medium-frame S&W, gently used, with 4" barrel is a good option. Itll also shoot .357, which is a plus.

I have the glock 19, and love it. I also have a sig 229, and love that one too, but the glock has just the right feel from the first time it is in the hand, IMO.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I agree with the recommendations for a .38 revolver. A medium-frame S&W, gently used, with 4" barrel is a good option. Itll also shoot .357, which is a plus.

I have the glock 19, and love it. I also have a sig 229, and love that one too, but the glock has just the right feel from the first time it is in the hand, IMO.

I think a .357 mag will shoot .38

I do not think a .38 will shoot a .357 mag.

"Except for its length, the .38 Special case is identical to that of the .38 Long Colt, and to the .357 Magnum which was developed from the earlier cartridge in 1935. This allows the .38 Special round to be used in revolvers chambered for the .357 Magnum (but not the reverse, the longer length prevents potential accidents from the significantly higher pressure generated by the .357 Magnum cartridge)."

I saw these GunTalk XD(M) vids.
I can't seem to link directly to it, but in the menu on the left under GunTalk/Products/Handguns... The third video, in the choices that appear on the right, makes a decent argument for the XD as a good beginner gun.

The XD would not be IMO a good beginner gun.

Remember the KISS (Keep it simple xxxxx)

A Revolver does not have any safeties.

When you open the cylinder it IS UNLOADED. Easy to control.
If it does not fire, pull the trigger again. (don't have to try to rack the slide)

No stovepipes. No failure to feed. Not picky about bullet shapes. Don't have to worry about a light load not making the slide go back all the way.

Don't have to worry about limp wristing. Don't have to worry about accidentally hitting the mag/clip release. Don't have to worry about Mags/clips. No worry about taking out the mag/clip and still having a round chambered to go off

Most calibers (.357, .44mag, .45LC, .32 mag) will allow you to shoot lower power (and CHEAPER (which means MORE PRACTICE)
thumbsup2.gif
) loads.

And a revolver is easier to maintain. Self contained.

Plus it is most of the time cheaper to acquire.

(See why I think and tell people why NOT to buy a semi-auto for the first firearm...
grin2.gif
Get one ONCE you have some training/experience and WANT to stay in the hobby. But for a first gun.. No in my book)

The problem with the XD is since its imported, it could be EASY to stop them coming to America. (Guns, and ALL parts)

All it takes is a single signature from many idiots in Wash DC. No input needed from EITHER house.

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: rg200amp

I think a .357 mag will shoot .38

I do not think a .38 will shoot a .357 mag.

Correct. The .38 sp will not chamber a .357 mag (it's longer)

Same with a .44 sp. .44mag will shoot specials but not the other way around.

Take care, Bill

I always recommend getting a .22 as a first pistol. I'm partial to the Ruger MKII bull barrel line, but Browning makes a nice semi-auto as well.
.22 ammo is cheap, there is little to no recoil, you can really hone your skills without cleaning out your wallet, and you don't have to chase brass (reloaders will understand). Plus they are alot of fun.
I started out with .45acp, 44mag, and .357mag as my first 3 handguns.....it was expensive to shoot, my wife hated shooting them, folks at the indoor range would give me dirty looks because the magnums indoors would just about make you [censored] your pants.....
One year I got a Ruger 22/45 MKII for Xmas.....what a riot. Now it comes with me every trip, I shoot up to 500 rounds a session with it, wife loves shooting it, groups are much tighter then I can shoot with any centerfire, all around just alot of fun to shoot.

I agree with everything Bill has been saying...

The only negatives I can think of with going with the revolver would be the limited capacity, speed of the reload, and that the recoil may be a bit too much for some to comfortably shoot. I've even heard complaints about the Ruger SP101 in 9mm smarting the hand. So, that may be something to consider, but it is easily resolved with the use of some Crimson Trace Grips.

You do have to like what you get though. I remember a time when I just detested all things revolver, but am now a Snubbie fan. It's funny how tastes can change.

What is up with the two separate threads?
21.gif

Even though this thread is a bit dated it is nonetheless relevant.

For some odd reason we never had handguns in our family... and I had a hankerin' recently to purchase one. So, after a fair amount of research I decided on a Ruger GP100, .357 Remington Magnum, 4" barrel, stainless steel. I actually wanted a 3" barrel but for now this should be just fine for me. I was looking for a solidly-built revolver and I've read many positive things about the Ruger wheelguns being so. It *felt* like a solid gun in my hands, that's for sure.

Since we have a five-day waiting period here, I haven't actually paid for it and received it yet but hope to do so and try it out in the very near future.

Originally Posted By: Crashbox
So, after a fair amount of research I decided on a Ruger GP100, .357 Remington Magnum, 4" barrel, stainless steel. I actually wanted a 3" barrel but for now this should be just fine for me. I was looking for a solidly-built revolver and I've read many positive things about the Ruger wheelguns being so. It *felt* like a solid gun in my hands, that's for sure.

Like this?
grin2.gif

img0536x.jpg

Excellent choice!
thumbsup2.gif

Bummer about the @#$&#$%! wait. What a waste.
smirk2.gif

Take care and be safe! Bill

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
ok guys,
i am thinking of owning a gun (pistol) for the 1st time.
Never owned, and never learned to shoot.
Purpose will be just my own safety.

What would be a good, dependable starter gun for me, which is not too $$$ and easy to shoot, yet effective, and can be used also by wifey if needed?

Without reading past the OPs original post, I would suggest a good revolver in 357 magnum. You can use 357 magnums or 38 specials in it. Revolvers are simple and reliable ... and a good starter gun vs. an semi-auto IMO.

I have a couple of 357 mags in the house "ready for action". Simple ... grab, aim, pull trigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back