tips and advice needed for starter gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
How can I carry a rifle around though?
I need something that I can have on my bedside table and carry in the car when needed, and concealed, when I am outside, too.

If you want a gun for self defense, .22LR is a bad choice.

The smallest round I would carry is 9mm.

I need something that I can have on my bedside table and carry in the car when needed, and concealed, when I am outside, too.

You need a Walther PPK then. But that's above your budget. A Polish alternative to that, a P64, might be what you need. But I don't think your wife would like the amount of kick it has. It's like exploding cherry bombs in your hands.

If you are a first timer and looking for a carry gun, then you should start with a small .38 special revolver. Very simple to opperate, maintain, and use. Pull the trigger it goes bang, ammo only in one place, no magazine to loose...etc.

Stay away from the automatics, especially the small ones, until if and when you get more into guns and have more experience with them. Autos have advantages but they are more complicated to use, maintain and make safe.

Look at Taurus. They make good quality guns for the price.

I'm partial to the .45. I grew up shooting my dad's Colt Gold Cup National Match. So now I'm getting the Gold Cup Trophy for myself so it should feel familiar. A 9mm feels like a toy to me.

I've never really understood starting with a small caliber. No matter what you get, you're going to be used to the kick in 15 minutes. I would get something with some real knockdown power. The last thing you want is to get shot by a dead person.

A shotgun with the shortest legal barrel is hard to beat for home defense.

I think people are more prone to learning the "flinch" when they start off with a large caliber.
That said, I shot my friends Dad's little Kahr .40. I thought, "This little thing is gonna kick like a [censored]." It was only appreciably stiffer than my 9mm. I also shot his service USPc .45 and that seemed to have more recoil although it might have just been more flip-up.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
I think people are more prone to learning the "flinch" when they start off with a large caliber.
That said, I shot my friends Dad's little Kahr .40. I thought, "This little thing is gonna kick like a [censored]." It was only appreciably stiffer than my 9mm. I also shot his service USPc .45 and that seemed to have more recoil although it might have just been more flip-up.

What my dad did to cure me of flinching at an early age was to load up the .357 magnum with only one live round and I didn't know which one it was. It was embarassing to flinch and I eventually got over it.

Like a Glock? Don't want to pay Glock money?

Smith and Wesson Sigma...

It's got a pretty stiff trigger but you get used to it. Plus...don't want to shot anything you don't mean to....

I've had mine for 10 years now and never felt a need for anything more. If you want a good gun from a good company at a good price.... You can get it in 9mm and .40. They've offered it in other calibers as well. Don't know if they still do.
sigma.jpg

Thanks
That's a pretty big gun i think.... idk...I think the size of a baby Glock (Glock 26) is what I am looking to own...
but I may be wrong ... will check the S&W Sigma out a bit online..

Eh, it's not huge. I've kept mine in my car the whole time I've owned it, practically. I know for a while they did make a compact edition. Don't know if they still do. But even the full size isn't huge.

+2 for Tempest. Any reliable .38 spl with a short barrel, not snubbie, 3-4" is the perfect HD weapon. Short barrel shotguns are not all that some make them out to be, you still have to aim them at HD distances.

Thanks
That's a pretty big gun i think.... idk...I think the size of a baby Glock (Glock 26) is what I am looking to own...
but I may be wrong ... will check the S&W Sigma out a bit online..

If you really want to have an automatic then take some classes on it's operation and really learn how it operates. Also, shoot the thing on a regular basis to keep familiar with it. Having ammo in the magazine and forgetting about a loaded chamber is probably the prime cause of accidental discharge.

You also said that you want your wife to be able to use it so the same would apply to her. Also, small automatics typically have stiff recoil springs. These can be a major problem for women in being able to rack the slide in order to load and unload a weapon. She should have no problems doing this if you want her to use the gun you pick.

Revolvers don't have most of these problems as they are a much simpler design and don't use recoil springs.

I've got to go with the guys who are suggesting a .38/.357 revolver for a first gun. Plus a .22 automatic pistol if you can afford it for cheap practice.

Yep, the Glock 26 is a very good choice for a small 9mm pistol...extremely durable, easy to shoot, easy to maintain...around $500.

Nothing wrong with the Ruger P95, they're reliable and durable for around $350..just larger...

Also, a used Glock 19 (or 17) would be excellent as well...usually around $389 or so...just make sure the mag springs are strong and check the recoil spring (can get both free from Glock if needed) and you'll be good to go...

Nothing wrong with a good revolver either, If I were buying new, I'd look at the Ruger line for a good .38 or .357...in the used line, the same Ruger would be fine or a K frame Smith & Wesson...or L frame, but they're heavier...A good used model 10 or 64 .38 special K framed Smith is hard to beat...$250 to $350 or so..depending...

Enjoy your search!

Thanks for all the info, so far, guys.

Seems my BIL and a good friend both have Glocks. One of them has a baby Glock (G 26); not sure of the other Glock model, but I am gonna get in touch with them and get some info, what they think, etc...
afaik, both their wives use the gun they have, and BIL is ex-military and the buddy is a cop...they might be able to give me some pointers, i guess...

and a green beret SF guy i know was in my class, i bet HE cna give me some lessons, huh? that reminds me of the 2 ex-marines in my class, too...

while checking here with you guys, I am gonna get in touch with all these people i know, and see what they have to say...
will keep updating, but for now, with NO experience, and basing ONLY on what I read online, and pics, i REALLY like the Glock 26...of course I will have to see how it is, planning a trip to a gun store/range soon, after my preliminary research...

idk how much of an expert this guy is, but i like what i hear...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkyO4D2CWRk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNB2EXzvZrM&feature=related

I would consider Lieutenant Colonel Nutnfancy to be an expert.

As far as a Glock for a 1st ever gun though... I'm just not too sure about that. I might not feel comfortable as a beginner, keeping one in the chamber of the Glock, during concealed carry.
It is reliable, simple to use, & keep clean though.

Keeping with the sub-compact German theme, maybe the H&K P2000SK would be a decent choice. It's a SA/DA, with the de-cocker and external safety. Might be a more mind comforting choice for carry. I do hear that they're $pendy though, and that the company dislikes us civilians.

On that H&K P2000Sk, I think it's the Version 3 that has the de-cocker.
Also, if it's available, consider getting the night sights on whatever it is you choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back