Time to buy a new GM vehicle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How this thread broke down into the same old argument over what is a "domestic" car is beyond me.

The basic problem is that, for whatever reason, GM does not make what enough people find desirable over other choices. There are three, THREE new Mustangs on my block. What does GM offer to compete?

I went to the local (big) Chevy and GMC dealers to see if they had something I might want to replace the 11 year old F-150. The only 4x4 pickups on the lot were crew cab diesels, priced after the discount, at a still mind boggling $36k.

No lies here. I have no reason to lie. Come up with some more fabrications of your imaginations. Here is some magic powder for you,,, pooooof....

Btw...you can use this deal on the new Saab 9-2x Aero. Its a fantastic vehicle.

Its basically a wagon/hatch, with saab exterior and interior, and subaru chassis, drivetrain, and engine (from the wrx).

2.0 I4 Turbocharged AWD.

Its a screamer for under 20k for the discount. Basically a really nice looking WRX.

-

quote:

Originally posted by crossbow:
[QB] ...
Its a screamer for under 20k for the discount. Basically a really nice looking WRX.

Are you serious? I think the MSRP on that starts at about 28k! If that is true and we didnt have other things going on right now, I would be picking one up TODAY. Wow!! Double wow! Too bad it is not 1yr later.

You are right, it's right there on the Saab website!! And the WRX sportwagon starts at over 24k. A better looking WRX for 5 grand less!! Crap.

No, they look mostly green. Interior pics are on website. If they were amber colored, what is wrong with that? My BMW has amber lighting. Research has shown it is best for night vision.

I just could not resist posting about Amkeer's arguements. At first he argued that he bought the Tacoma because of reliability. Then once he was shown that the top three compact pickups are Ford or GM he went back to arguing what is American.

It is sad that GM is having a hard time. They employ many people in this country and pay the pensions of many more. If they do not make it there will ba A LOT of unhappy pensioners. It seems as if GM has solved the quality problem. Their cars are ranked right up with the Japanese cars. The problem is that they just do not make cars that people want. The new Cadilacs are said to compete well with a BMW performance wise. However, they just look Freaky. Their new Pontiac G6 has nice specs. Nice size car. Good power. Looks good. Good rear seat leg room. But, have you driven one?!?! They feel like a tin can. Engine sounds tinny, and it does not handle that well. They just need to make cars that people want. The older Imapala? That thing is a boat. Yes, some people like every car. But, a boat like an Impala will never sell.

quote:

Originally posted by Jason Troxell:
No, they look mostly green. Interior pics are on website. If they were amber colored, what is wrong with that? My BMW has amber lighting. Research has shown it is best for night vision.

urban myth. orange/amber work better ONLY in the absence of exterior or ambient lights, like airplane cockpits. Airplanes rarely have oncoming traffic 10 feet away......

You may be right. But I don't think they are cheesy or that there is anything wrong with them. In fact they are easy to view without being distracting.
White dash lighting is the worst.
The green on the Saab's looks pretty cool and like it wouldn't distract.
Just my opinion.

most human factors engineers prefer the soft green backlight with black lettering. Or white on black with the soft green light giving it's color to the white lettering. High contrast is the key.

As long as you like it, it works for me.

I happen to dislike amber turn lamps in the rear but my Camry has 'em....I hate being behind me in traffic....
wink.gif

The coolest looking dashlights I ever had were in my 1988 Chevy S-10. They were blue. Kinda different from anything else I had ever seen.

Blue dash gauge illumination sucks. Due to the spectral sensitvity of the human eye, blue numerals will appear somewhat fuzzy.
Green is often used because the eye is very sensitive to green light, which means low levels of green light are easily and clearly seen.
Red light is ideal because it is makes for a very crisp viewing, and especially because red preserves night vision of the human eye: think "battle station." Audi has unfortunately given up red dash illumination in favor of Lexus-style white (actually multi-colored) gauges. My '96 has still the red "submarine" illumination. BMW still uses red, although a more orangey kind. I would not call the BMW illumination color amber (even if they do).

Btw...non haggle price on the saab is 19.4k. (Under the discount) Some local member got one for a little under 19k though, but they had to fight for every freaking inch.

Either way, its a massive steal, not to mention saab's warranty is longer and more inclusive then subaru's!

Other awesome steals are...

2004 Pontiac GTO's (Can snag for 22k new with haggling)

2005 Pontiac GTO's (your looking around 25-26k)

Heavy car, but a few mods and its running 12's and 13's.

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
Blue dash gauge illumination sucks. Due to the spectral sensitvity of the human eye, blue numerals will appear somewhat fuzzy.
Green is often used because the eye is very sensitive to green light, which means low levels of green light are easily and clearly seen.
Red light is ideal because it is makes for a very crisp viewing, and especially because red preserves night vision of the human eye: think "battle station." Audi has unfortunately given up red dash illumination in favor of Lexus-style white (actually multi-colored) gauges. My '96 has still the red "submarine" illumination. BMW still uses red, although a more orangey kind. I would not call the BMW illumination color amber (even if they do).

reread my post re: red/orange light.

it is used in military applications WHERE AMBIENT LIGHT is not an issue, yes, like submarines. In ambient light red/orange/amber is much less desireable. altho pale amber would be "less bad" than a purer red.

Unless you drive on pitch black roads without headlights, red (and the variants thereof) is bogus.

It's pure marketing.

quote:

Originally posted by Winston:
I just could not resist posting about Amkeer's arguements. At first he argued that he bought the Tacoma because of reliability. Then once he was shown that the top three compact pickups are Ford or GM he went back to arguing what is American.

Nope, I bought the Tacoma since it was the replacement to my 1985 4x4 Toyota. I realised afterwards that it was a domestic brand.

We already went over the issues with Ford, GM against Toyota trucks. The resale value have a direct proportion to ones PERCIEVED likelyhood to develope problems in a secondary sale.

What is American? Exactly, what is it, Mexican, Canadian, USA. I was talking about the USA built Tacoma in a GM/Toyota plant, built UAW workers.

What else would you like to me to clarify?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back