Thoughts on these compact cars..

1660654064362.jpg
Looking for a compact car ? Here is one . :ROFLMAO:

I'd like to add:
My daughter has been renting many cars/SUVs lately when she goes to her NOSC each month. Of the cars that you mentioned and that she has either rented or even ownes; she ownes a 2022 Civic LX and loves it, she feels that the Corolla is junk, cheap & noisy even if Toyota is more reliable, and the others are great, roomy & smooth. The Mazda 3 feels the most cramped with poor visibility but it's built well and quiet and she has owned an '06 Mazda 3 in the past and still has a soft spot for them.

Last edited:
I am looking for a new daily driver. This is what I am looking at, what do you guys think?

Jetta S or Sport- I read good things about the 1.5 engine, seems really quick based on reviews

Mazda3 2.5 S- tried and true engine with a 6 speed auto.

Nissan Sentra- looks really nice, comfy seats but questionable Jatco CVT.

Corolla- 2.0 will be standard for 2023 no more 1.8 engine.

CIvic- Pricey for a basic equipped Sport model, slower 2.0, engine yet, it's a Honda with no GDI
Mazda 3 2.5S hatchback for the win.

Reactions: TCL
Corolla - I personally would avoid the Corolla if you intend to ever have people in the back seat. I sat in a new Corolla at last years auto show and I was shocked how small they have become. The trunk seems to have shrunk as well.
I rented one recently (well, 2019) and found it tough to get in and out of, like the roof was too low + the doors were oddly proportioned to make me bash my head each time. On the other hand, a friend (a big guy, like 300 pounds) just bought a 2021 HB and he loves it. Apparently he is more flexible than I am.

I am looking for a new daily driver. This is what I am looking at, what do you guys think?

Jetta S or Sport- I read good things about the 1.5 engine, seems really quick based on reviews

Mazda3 2.5 S- tried and true engine with a 6 speed auto.

Nissan Sentra- looks really nice, comfy seats but questionable Jatco CVT.

Corolla- 2.0 will be standard for 2023 no more 1.8 engine.

CIvic- Pricey for a basic equipped Sport model, slower 2.0, engine yet, it's a Honda with no GDI
Out of those, Mazda 3 followed by Civic followed by Corolla.

Would you consider a used Chevrolet Volt? Looks like sub-20k mile Gen 2 cars are in the $25-30k range. Still under full powertrain warranty, plus it's easy enough to add a 240v outlet, should you live in a single family home. I absolutely loved my Gen 1.

I'd personally go with the Mazda 3. I've owned a few Corollas and my last (and current one) haven't been that impressive. The quality just isn't there anymore, at least in my opinion.

-corollaman

As a Mazda owner of a 2012 Mazda 5, It has zero rust at 140K Uses no oil between changes and is very peppy. People that ride with us think it has a V6. Wife named the car Zippy. Reliable as a stone.
Bring that thing up here and see how long it last. I saw a 2016 Mazda 3 with rot in the rear dog legs just a few weeks ago. A 2014 Mazda 6 with a rotted out rear sub frame. They may be fine down south or out west but not in the rust belt. VW on the other hand I have seen many 20 years old and older and are still rock solid underneath and have good engines too. It is hard to beat a old MKIV with an AEG under the hood for rust and engine reliability.

My thought is that you're overlooking the Elantra. Love my '18 with its spacious interior, and that it's non-turbo, non-GDI, and non-CVT.

I rented one recently (well, 2019) and found it tough to get in and out of, like the roof was too low + the doors were oddly proportioned to make me bash my head each time. On the other hand, a friend (a big guy, like 300 pounds) just bought a 2021 HB and he loves it. Apparently he is more flexible than I am.

Not a compact, but I banged my head onto many Sonatas, the latest body style. Some cars are just like that, or maybe it's some people.... No issues with the elantra/i30 which is more compact though.

Despite being a Euro fan snob, I'd go Civic with the 6 speed.
It'll be the most fun to drive (for the price), yet reliable and cheaper to maintain.
If cost (purchase and servicing) wasn't an issue, I'd go Jetta.

Back