2023 Venza Update/test-drive

^^^Yeah, we’re not Susbie people especially my wife. Not that Subaru doesn’t build a great vehicle, they do indeed and I recommend them to those looking in a particular segment. We have friends who are Subie people(Outbacks & Foresters) and we’ve been in & driven them ourselves.

As-far-as Subaru goes, I’m a maybe but my wife is a solid no. And we both have to agree on the vehicle for which has helped over our 43 years of marriage. And we both STRONGLY AGREE on the VENZA. (y)

I fully agree with the OP's assessment. The Venza is a nice product, and from my test drive I could imagine it passing as an entry-level Lexus, but for one factor: the engine NVH. I gave it the beans because that's what I do with all of my cars, and I immediately grimaced. A conservative driver with a light foot will never notice, but the driver who likes to exercise the engine occasionally will get to know and loathe the upper rpm range. If one never exceeds 3,000 rpm, all is tranquil. Fortunately, the Venza, with its electric assist and HSD transmission, rarely warrants exploring the harsh clatter beyond 3K. Imagine what the Venza could be with a few dozen extra pounds of acoustic insulation at the firewall.

^^^I am that conservative driver. When I do explore the WOT of any vehicle, I am typically alone in the car, or that 1-2X/year that I need to go full gorilla. My wife may be that little bit more aggressive than I with the throttle & brake but she's not Mario. Oops, I mean Danica! Otherwise, it's just a slow go and keeping up with traffic, going here & there ~ 12K-13K miles/year.

Like many folks, we do lots of around town driving for the most part and hiwy journeys between an on ramp to the next off ramp. Beyond that, we do like to travel by car for that holiday trip between 6-8 hr drive per day do get to our destination. I think the VENZA will be that nice companion for these longer trips.

Shame on Toyota for forgetting about the NVH in their newer vehicles. They used to be the standard for quiet even in a Corolla. :(
The CEO who has just stepped down, I can't remember his name, I think it's Mr. "No More Boring Cars", should be ashamed of himself. He should have said, "No More Quiet Cars"...@$$#o!€

Last edited:
^^^Right. And just because it’s a nice new vehicle, doesn’t mean that I want to spend a stupid amount of money just for tires when it finally needs new rubber.

Sadly I forgot to mention that, even though the dealers in my area ARE NOT UP CHARGING the VENZAs, Toyota is equipping many of them from the factory with:

*Rubber(thick) trunk & floor matts.(I prefer carpeted matts)
*Bike mount hitch(whatever that's called). I do bike but NEVER take my bikes somewhere to go biking
*Fast Charge Pkg for your smart stuff
*First-Aid Kits
And just a bunch of stuff I DON'T WANT, NEED OR EVEN USE TODAY.
I could keep going as there are so many accessories from the factory. But, I see NO MUD FLAPS

Back