2023 Venza Update/test-drive

UPDATE:
So, I took a test-drive in a new 2023 Venza XLE. We want the base LE(cloth interior & 18" tires)~ $35K. We really like the style of the new VENZA.

To my surprise, the dealer sales rep offered to let me take it home and show my wife and let her give it a go as my wife wasn't able to come with me at that time. I was gone for almost 2 hours. I let the dealer know that I was going to be gone(by myself) for a while as I explained where I lived in conjunction to the dealership. NO PROBLEM! They had a copy of my drivers license and my car.

I can say that the VENZA is a very nice SUV. It rode very firm with the 225-55-19 tires without being HARSH. The base LE will have 225-60-18. The suspension rode very well over poorly paved roads and the body structure felt like a bank vault. It was very quiet but, the when the gas engine turns on, it can be a bit on the loud side but not as bad IMO as some YouTube reviewers have mentioned. However, the engine doesn't have the most pleasant sound/harmonics.

There is ECO, NORMAL & SPORT mode. I actually preferred ECO mode. :) It was just more smooth and linear even if it was lethargic. NORMAL was OK :whistle: and SPORT really woke up the engine.:giggle:...for what it is.

I found the car to be quite comfortable however the outward vision in the rear quarters is compromised compared to the boxier SUVs mostly due to the sloping rear hatch. Not a deal breaker !

ATMOF, nothing is really a deal breaker(when you like a vehicle) as this is a more upscale SUV that is priced very close to the other mainstream compact SUVs. I mean, we were looking at several Equinox, Rogue, CR-V, Mazda CX5 that were close to $40K in top trim levels. And while the VENZA we're looking at is the lowest LE trim, we feel that it's a(key words)...nice alternative.
And meanwhile, I will test-drive the competition until a suitable VENZA arrives for purchase.

Are there things that I don't like? Sure there are, just like any vehicle. Things that are particular to us but others wouldn't care.

*There could be more space in the boot but that would require a redesign/restyle.
*I can still sit behind myself at 5'10"ish and cross my legs but other SUVs with this exterior dimensions will have more rear seat room.
*The start button is located in the bin beneath the infotainment system which take useable space in that cubby.
*The gas engine could be quieter/smoother the way Toyota's used to be.
*Only 1 year of remote engine start and then a subscription.

Should we end up buying the VENZA, I am hoping to get the quality & reliability that Toyota's are known for as I was extremely disappointed in my wife's '01 Lexus RX300. This $35K VENZA is a 10X better SUV than the $40K RX300 we paid for new, 22 years ago...when LEXUS was supposed to be in their heyday. 2 yr old Preowned RX's were going for $34-$35 back then so we bought new instead.

Last edited:
My last few test drives involved me taking the vehicle for a few hours on my own and I greatly enjoy this compared to the short ride with the salesperson.

Yeah, I let the remote services lapse on both my Lexus and Toyota - not a fan of subscription services.

I test drove a Venza last week looking for a new car for the wife. It was a nice suv to say the least. She didn't like the sound that it made and found the seat not to her liking. Also, dealer was asking 4K over msrp. I could have lived with one though.

The dealer that we're working with(one of the largest auto groups in the U.S.) IS NOT Up Charging any of their vehicles and even knocked off $500 for which ever VENZA arrives(to our specifications). And they don't have to do anything as-far-as discounting vehicles especially Toyota's.

I'm not sure you're really going to notice any difference between 19" vs 18" wheels beyond simple placebo.

I'm not sure you're really going to notice any difference between 19" vs 18" wheels beyond simple placebo.
Maybe not, IDK.
However, we only want the “LE” trim anyway which only comes w/18”. And due to the taller aspect ratio of the 18s” it’s gotta help somewhat over broken pavement. Maybe the tires will give that extra little bit of bad road absorption…if I said that right.

Also, we liked some of the non hybrid SUVs as well. However fuel economy is becoming just as important as other factors are these days. We always valued fuel economy when everything was gas only. But now that there is other alternatives, we’d like to try these now. Diesel was never interesting to us.

Last edited:
There is ECO, NORMAL & SPORT mode. I actually preferred ECO mode. :) It was just more smooth and linear even if it was lethargic. NORMAL was OK :whistle: and SPORT really woke up the engine.:giggle:...for what it is.
When we bought the new '14 RAV4 there were debates on the RAV forums about the modes, it was claimed that the only thing it did was change the throttle response mapping. You can do the same mapping with your foot. ;)

You didn't mention the CVT or how the hybrid drivetrain feels.

Oh, Okay! 👌

The eCVT causes the gas engine to drone more than in my Altima. And the sound the engine makes isn’t the best. But it is what it is. Toyota isn’t spending the time that they used to spend on NVH and that’s a shame.
In ECO mode(my favorite mode for normal-ness), while driving easily is a nice partner to this nice SUV. When the gas engine turns on, it is a smooth transition and it is only loud upon near or WOT. Under moderate throttle it just sounds like any engine. Otherwise the gas engine is fine.

The eCVT goes about its business the way it should and in and of itself is very quiet…as is my Altima CVT.
I always hear members of the AUTOMOTIVE PRESS say(and I take exception to these comments) that CVTs are noisy when in fact, it’s the CVT that cause the engine to drone caused by the lack of shifting. So, it’s the engine that they’re hearing, not the CVT…IMO!

My daughter has had two Honda CVTs. And though the Press views Hondas as the better CVTs, I can’t tell the difference between Honda, Toyota & Nissan under normal, regular type of driving. Maybe if I tested vehicles the way publications do, I might be able to tell. 🤷‍♂️

As for the VENZAs other driving modes(NORMAL & SPORT) well, I need more time than just a couple of hours to play with them. I can however feel some differences between all 3 modes even if only slight differences.
I can say that SPORT did wake things up which is kinda defeating the purpose of a hybrid. But you know, ya gotta have fun sometimes. 🤪

Last edited:
UPDATE:
So, I took a test-drive in a new 2023 Venza XLE. We want the base LE(cloth interior & 18" tires)~ $35K. We really like the style of the new VENZA.

To my surprise, the dealer sales rep offered to let me take it home and show my wife and let her give it a go as my wife wasn't able to come with me at that time. I was gone for almost 2 hours. I let the dealer know that I was going to be gone(by myself) for a while as I explained where I lived in conjunction to the dealership. NO PROBLEM! They had a copy of my drivers license and my car.

I can say that the VENZA is a very nice SUV. It rode very firm with the 225-55-19 tires without being HARSH. The base LE will have 225-60-18. The suspension rode very well over poorly paved roads and the body structure felt like a bank vault. It was very quiet but, the when the gas engine turns on, it can be a bit on the loud side but not as bad IMO as some YouTube reviewers have mentioned. However, the engine doesn't have the most pleasant sound/harmonics.

I found the car to be quite comfortable however the outward vision in the rear quarters is compromised compared to the boxier SUVs mostly due to the sloping rear hatch. Not a deal breaker !

ATMOF, nothing is really a deal breaker(when you like a vehicle) as this is a more upscale SUV that is priced very close to the other mainstream compact SUVs. I mean, we were looking at several Equinox, Rogue, CR-V, Mazda CX5 that were close to $40K in top trim levels. And while the VENZA we're looking at is the lowest LE trim, we feel that it's a(key words)...nice alternative.
And meanwhile, I will test-drive the competition until a suitable VENZA arrives for purchase.

Are there things that I don't like? Sure there are, just like any vehicle. Things that are particular to us but others wouldn't care.

*There could be more space in the boot but that would require a redesign/restyle.
*I can still sit behind myself at 5'10"ish and cross my legs but other SUVs with this exterior dimensions will have more rear seat room.
*The start button is located in the bin beneath the infotainment system which take useable space in that cubby.
*The gas engine could be quieter/smoother the way Toyota's used to be.
*Only 1 year of remote engine start and then a subscription.

Should we end up buying the VENZA, I am hoping to get the quality & reliability that Toyota's are known for as I was extremely disappointed in my wife's '01 Lexus RX300. This $35K VENZA is a 10X better SUV than the $40K RX300 we paid for new, 22 years ago...when LEXUS was supposed to be in their heyday. 2 yr old Preowned RX's were going for $34-$35 back then so we bought new instead.
Nice review. You already know more about the car than l do after driving one for two years.

I hardly ever change driving mode and keep it in normal. Some say to use eco on highway and normal in city driving to maximize fuel economy.

The engine noise never was a concern of mine, but l will probably pay more attention after reading your review.

I renewed my subscription for remote start for one year, but just let it lapse as l hardly ever used it. It's nice to get an alert on your phone if the doors are unlocked or window left open, but l do not want to pay $80 a year for that fluff. I can still check tire pressure from phone with a lapsed subscription.

Looking forward to seeing pictures if you do decide to go with the Venza.

The Google maps based cloud navigation is 1 year free now also.

But, I like the App-based remote start. I can be in my office in the summertime and App-start it, and when I get to my car within the 10 minute limit, it's nice and cool inside.... it's something I renewed.

About the remote start, the annoying thing is when you open the door, the car shuts off (Toyota claims for safety purposes).

When we bought the new '14 RAV4 there were debates on the RAV forums about the modes, it was claimed that the only thing it did was change the throttle response mapping. You can do the same mapping with your foot. ;)

You didn't mention the CVT or how the hybrid drivetrain feels.
Eco mode severely reduces sensitivity of the throttle inputs. "Sport mode" also claims to increase steering feel by reducing assist, it's barely perceptible. But there is a difference in throttle behavior in Sport Mode, and changes the CVT programming for acceleration, instead of holding an engine speed, it holds a ratio (a rather tall ratio). You can see this in higher trims with the HUD, when you show the tach instead of the eco meter.

Does the LE come with 2 position driver seat memory? On my must have if the vehicle has 2 drivers. XLE should have that as standard.
We have it on our 19 RAV4 Hybrid Limited. It gets used all the time.

That's priced less than my wife's 2012 Venza was. Yes, that one is totally loaded and she loves it. I don't care too much for the cartridge oil filter and the 20" tires are expensive, but a short list of dislikes.. Nice report on the current model.

Maybe not, IDK.
However, we only want the “LE” trim anyway which only comes w/18”. And due to the taller aspect ratio of the 18s” it’s gotta help somewhat over broken pavement. Maybe the tires will give that extra little bit of bad road absorption…if I said that right.

Also, we liked some of the non hybrid SUVs as well. However fuel economy is becoming just as important as other factors are these days. We always valued fuel economy when everything was gas only. But now that there is other alternatives, we’d like to try these now. Diesel was never interesting to us.
Right. The 18's will ride better than the 19's.

Is that the 2.5? Those are nice motors.
Yes it is the 2.5L. As I mentioned, it's a bit loud in the hybrids as compared to the non-hybrid 2.5L in say, the Camry. As long as it's reliable, I can live with it. And it's only loud(er) upon harder acceleration. Otherwise I many not even notice it.

Does the LE come with 2 position driver seat memory? On my must have if the vehicle has 2 drivers. XLE should have that as standard.
We have it on our 19 RAV4 Hybrid Limited. It gets used all the time.
No, the LE does not come with the 2 position seat memory but the other trim line do. And all VENAZA's come with automatic tilt/telescope steering wheel...On the XLE & above, the tilt/tele is linked to the seat memory.

And since I haven't test-driven the LE, IDK if the seat & steering wheel move back & out of the way when shutting off the engine and forward & down when starting it. However every other trim line does have this feature. I'll have to check the LE for this. No auto dimming mirror either on the LE which there was last year from what I understand. Not a deal breaker as we drive very little at night.
We don't purposly go out at night though we will come home at night from where ever we are.

If you're into base models, check out the Outback, it comes with even better 17" wheels with 65 profile tires! :love:
I think it also addresses every issue you mentioned, but no hybrid option. Probably near similar hwy mileage, but for short trips in the city our Outback seems to use a lot of fuel in the first 5 miles.
It also has a pretty good built in roof rack which we use all the time.

Back