Thoughts on these compact cars..

I am looking for a new daily driver. This is what I am looking at, what do you guys think?

Jetta S or Sport- I read good things about the 1.5 engine, seems really quick based on reviews

Mazda3 2.5 S- tried and true engine with a 6 speed auto.

Nissan Sentra- looks really nice, comfy seats but questionable Jatco CVT.

Corolla- 2.0 will be standard for 2023 no more 1.8 engine.

CIvic- Pricey for a basic equipped Sport model, slower 2.0, engine yet, it's a Honda with no GDI

Personally I would stay away from anything with a CVT.....That includes everything on your short list except the Mazda, and Jetta I believe.

Warning, there will be people who say that Toyota has perfected the CVT or that it is not as troublesome as the Jatco.......the reality is, it is still a CVT, which has inherent reliability risk and potentially more maintenance to keep it up to spec.

I'd say go with the Jetta S. I drove a number of them when I was a sales associate for a VW dealership. I always thought that they were sportier and a more fun vehicle to drive especially with the manual transmission

My SIL had a Mazda 3 sedan with a manual transmission. He commuted with it for about 6 years. No problems whatsoever. Said it was fun to drive.

He traded it off for a Nissan Leaf for the reduced "fuel" cost. He charges it (to some extent at least) using solar panels.

I test drove a Mazda 3 some years ago and really enjoyed it. I was talking to a group of car enthusiasts a few days later and told them I had test driven something on the weekend that was really fun. They looked at one another and all guessed "Mazda 3?" And these guys were driving some pretty good stuff (BMW, Mustang V8, Panoz).

I wouldn't touch anything with a CVT transmission. You might get lucky but it's more likely you'll have an average (ie expensive) experience.

Go with whichever one you get the best deal on. The whole CVT thing is over blown, IMHO. We fully intend to hand our (CVT) Impreza down to our eldest daughter 4 years from now with no reliabilty concerns whatsoever.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Also, consider how long you plan on keeping the car as to what tranny you will get.
Are you a manual tranny driver?

My SIL had a Mazda 3 sedan with a manual transmission. He commuted with it for about 6 years. No problems whatsoever. Said it was fun to drive.

He traded it off for a Nissan Leaf for the reduced "fuel" cost. He charges it (to some extent at least) using solar panels.

I test drove a Mazda 3 some years ago and really enjoyed it. I was talking to a group of car enthusiasts a few days later and told them I had test driven something on the weekend that was really fun. They looked at one another and all guessed "Mazda 3?" And these guys were driving some pretty good stuff (BMW, Mustang V8, Panoz).

I wouldn't touch anything with a CVT transmission. You might get lucky but it's more likely you'll have an average (ie expensive) experience.
At the local Nissan dealership a Manual transmission service was $80-90 an automatic transmission service was $120 or so cvt service was $ 180.

No manual transmission on a Sentra in the USA. It’s available in Canada however. The current 2.0 Corollas use a CVT with a physical first gear. It might feel better than a traditional CVT. I’d get a Jetta. There will always be those against VW usually because they have a worry wort mentality.

Go with whichever one you get the best deal on. The whole CVT thing is over blown, IMHO. We fully intend to hand our (CVT) Impreza down to our eldest daughter 4 years from now with no reliabilty concerns whatsoever.
No doubt as I'm approaching 100K on mine and other than the fluid exchange around the 75K mile point there has been nothing needed except driving the thing... Fluid-like acceleration as in crazy smooth, holds steady in the ideal rpm range under hard acceleration as in uphill, passing, etc. and has never given a single problem. Honestly see no reason why it won't do fine at least another 100K or more.

I will say the dealership fluid exchange was costly, but I opted to do that as it was still under the long term extended warranty. Recently found a great deal on the exact NS-2 fluid Nissan uses and scored 5 qts for $62. When it needs it again (mileage-wise) I plan to drain/fill myself and will save about 75% in the process.

As a Mazda owner of a 2012 Mazda 5, It has zero rust at 140K Uses no oil between changes and is very peppy. People that ride with us think it has a V6. Wife named the car Zippy. Reliable as a stone.

Civic - My vote goes to the Civic. A Civic with the 2.0 and 6 speed manual is a pretty safe bet for a car that will run forever. The Civics seem to be a safe bet even with the CVT but I would expect to do regular CVT fluid changes if you want it to last. The hatchback variant seems like a nice way to get extra cargo room too.

Jetta - The Jetta's are nice looking but Volkswagen still tends to have a different way of doing things which makes me nervous. People either seem to have great luck with them or they are nightmare cars. I think the Jetta would be my second pick.

Corolla - I personally would avoid the Corolla if you intend to ever have people in the back seat. I sat in a new Corolla at last years auto show and I was shocked how small they have become. The trunk seems to have shrunk as well.

Mazda - I know this generation of Mazda 3 they went to a solid beam rear axle. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but that tells me they were cost cutting. Also historically Mazda's seem to rust out really bad here in the rust belt.

Sentra - I wouldn't consider anything made by Nissan especially with a Jatco CVT. Rainman Ray on YouTube has it right with the "Chrysler of Japan".

Sentra - I wouldn't consider anything made by Nissan especially with a Jatco CVT. Rainman Ray on YouTube has it right with the "Chrysler of Japan".
Rainman Ray has an opinion like the rest of us and is likely as lame as Kilmer is with his constant B.S. TOYota praise! My Nissan was built in Japan and has been quite good going on 9 yrs now. I'd choose Japanese made over any other country for most items anyway...

Back