Any cars you regret buying? - My '14 CR-V experience

Honda's "AWD" CRV is anything but AWD
I don’t know about the new ones but I know the “real time” system in my 2006 gets a lot of hate for being a part time system that only activates after losing front traction.

In reality, though, it works well. One major advantage of this kind of AWD system is that it weighs less than other solutions, keeping the overall weight of the vehicle relatively low. I have light AT tires on mine and can go basically anywhere geometry permits. I’ve even taken it on fire roads in CO and it has done fine. I have also driven through over a foot of virgin snow with no issues.

I’m sure I could probably get into a situation where I lifted two crosswise tires and it would fail to put power where it needs to be. More modern systems like what the Pilot has are going to be better in those situations. On the other hand, I’m an experienced off roader and I’ve never had an issue in how I use my old CR-V, and I take it to places probably 90% of people don’t go in CUVs.

My Mom leased one of these new with the AWD. It looked close to the same as OPs. It was admittedly not very powerful. The awd made a noise like a frog if I recall. It did need warranty work in the form of the VTC actuator. It wasn't a big deal as it was taken care of easily enough, but not confidence inspiring to need a new Honda engine opened up. It consumed some oil as well.

The main thing with it was just that it was very obviously cost cut. She had an EX w/AWD and still had the urethane wheel, cheap looking dash, somewhat loud on the highway.

Despite all of that we did enjoy it. It steered and drove nicely enough. But she dumped it at lease end and bought an RDX that is a lot nicer overall for similar money and MPGs.

Only owned two vehicles in my whole life, but both were/are great.
Had a 2001 Civic, purchased used, many kms on it, 12 years old when I got it. That thing was a great car, didn't have it long though, because ultimately I wanted a truck.
In 2014 bought a new F150, still have it, and what a great vehicle.

Back