Thoughts on Super Tech?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do as well, spend 6 - 8 dollars more per oil change using M1 on my '10 Sonata 2.4 I bought new, currently @ 329,600. Burns no oil.
Is that due to Mobil 1 or the fact that most of your Miles are highway? Who says super tech couldn’t have done the same 😎

Highline Warren is Pritzkers new name for the former WPP....the other 'Warren' is Warren-Unilube of Dunn NC. I would use either but prefer the former WPP's products although Pritzker seems to be pricing them out of consideration. Why would I pay $26.48 for 'Highline-Warren' 20k synthetic when Castrol EP 20k is on 'Rollback' for $24.97.
That’s reason enough for me to stick with majors - can’t stand boss hog …

The internet is full of surprises, one of them being fake news.

1. There are ( or were) two Warren companies. Warren Oil and Warren Distribution. They got mixed up all the time here. Warren Distribution is now Highline Warren so that should solve that problem.

2. Ford does not make Motorcraft oil.
Or as much of Ford either 😷

I do as well, spend 6 - 8 dollars more per oil change using M1 on my '10 Sonata 2.4 I bought new, currently @ 329,600. Burns no oil.
What OCIs are you doing on your 2.4 Sonata? I ask because a family member has one and stretches his OCIs further than I would. He's doing 9 or 10k OCIs on whatever syn. is available albeit it's 90% highway miles.

That’s reason enough for me to stick with majors - can’t stand boss hog …
I have been using Supertech full synth high mileage for years but now with the price increase there are "name brand" oils (Valvoline synth high mileage for example) that are less than $3 more for the 5 qt jug.

Reactions: 4WD
What OCIs are you doing on your 2.4 Sonata? I ask because a family member has one and stretches his OCIs further than I would. He's doing 9 or 10k OCIs on whatever syn. is available albeit it's 90% highway miles.
Was doing 6 - 6.5k, now, w/ higher mileage, 5.5 - 6k.
I buy the oil (5 - 20) from Walmart, only use upgrade Purolator filters. ~ $35 for oil and filter, mechanic charges $20. $55 every three months.

Or as much of Ford either 😷

This is the most info that can be found about Warren at this time. I have looked at (3) companies named Warren and the most I have found is they make or blend Supertech. All of the sites list them as a Distribution Company yet this article calls them a manufacturer of "automotive products." YET I can not find one place to list what they actually make other than windshield washer and cleaning products. Oh and they do bottle premade products other companies pay them to package and distribute. Does anyone know the website that details what this company makes and sells. Or course they make or blend or bottle Supertech cause its containers are labeled as such. What other products can we buy in stores and find that states manufacutured by Warren? Anyone? Looks like a lot of corporate double talk on all the atricles about Warren that says a lot with out really saying what the consumer wants to know.

Go to their listed site where they offer product into and see how far you can get.
Warren Distribution is a family-owned business that was founded more than 95 years ago in 1922 by James Schlott, the grandfather of Robert “Bob” Schlott, the current Chairman and CEO.

Today, we are the largest private label lubricants manufacturer and automotive chemical distributor located in North America. Plus, we ship to 45+ countries. Our products include passenger car motor oil, heavy-duty engine oil, industrial oils, and greases. We distribute a wide variety of popular automotive chemicals.

Really? Well? what products? I saw some chart from as far back as the 1990s but even that chart on BITOG does NOT say Warren manufactures those oils. Surely with as much talk about all these oils that are under Warren company (to say they make certain oils) why is it so hard to find what products this company Warren actually manufactures themselves?

Last edited:
Is that due to Mobil 1 or the fact that most of your Miles are highway? Who says super tech couldn’t have done the same 😎
More detail in my using M1. Years ago I read article written by two scientists who were gearheads when in HS. Ripped apart and rebuilt their cars engines. Fast forward twenty some years they teamed up, combining their advanced science background with their car interests, and performed an elaborate series of tests on motor oils and filters. Long story short, AMS and Royal Purple scored off the charts, everything else, while excellent, but much less. Except one. M1, which scored smack halfway between the two winners, and the rest. As far as filters, same two brands won, one stood out superior amongst the rest, Purolator upgrade. So, for the extra ~ $8, $9 dollars four times a year, I'll use M1 Purolator upgrade, 6k interval. Let's see if I get to 350, 400k, or more.

More detail in my using M1. Years ago I read article written by two scientists who were gearheads when in HS. Ripped apart and rebuilt their cars engines. Fast forward twenty some years they teamed up, combining their advanced science background with their car interests, and performed an elaborate series of tests on motor oils and filters. Long story short, AMS and Royal Purple scored off the charts, everything else, while excellent, but much less. Except one. M1, which scored smack halfway between the two winners, and the rest. As far as filters, same two brands won, one stood out superior amongst the rest, Purolator upgrade. So, for the extra ~ $8, $9 dollars four times a year, I'll use M1 Purolator upgrade, 6k interval. Let's see if I get to 350, 400k, or more.
It would be interesting to see what tests they ran. Plenty of statistically valid standardized tests already exist to evaluate both oil and filters.

Do you have those scientists names? Then I could search for that test.

WAT? So you choose m1 bc some “scientist gear heads” did some “testing” that showed m1 was an amazing oil? If that’s what persuaded you to use that oil…well I have a bridge in Brooklyn I’d like to sell you 😉.

Countless UOAs show that as long as you use an oil that meets your engines grade and specs….one oil doesn’t perform better than another. Ask the labs that do oil analyses.

I’m willing to bet a generic house brand like super tech could have gotten you to where you are now no problem especially given your driving conditions and vehicle.

WAT? So you choose m1 bc some “scientist gear heads” did some “testing” that showed m1 was an amazing oil? If that’s what persuaded you to use that oil…well I have a bridge in Brooklyn I’d like to sell you 😉.

Countless UOAs show that as long as you use an oil that meets your engines grade and specs.one oil doesn’t perform better than another. Ask the labs that do oil analyses.

I’m willing to bet a generic house brand like super tech could have gotten you to where you are now no problem especially given your driving conditions and vehicle.
AGREE. YET......
Had an amusing thought that came to me and is not pointed at any one person. :cautious: I already admitted & proved I have OCD = Oil Change Delusions. Always find myself hanging on every BITOG posts and scanning the world wide web in search of that magic elixer motor oil that will be the best thing known to man. Deep down I know that one product can not be found. What I seek is likely found already in 99.9% of the motor oils for sale already + proven, thru use by all of us on the roads every day. How do we know? Because 99.9% of us never experience oil related engine damage or failures. Clearly something is working and working well.
I wonder how many of us will admit something?. I bet most of us act and make the same type of product / purchase decisions just like we decide what oil we put in our own vehicles when we are in the hardware store looking for some repair parts or even in the grocery store where we select food or drink brands etc... We all make those decisions based on something. We don't close our eyes and just grab random. Well..... maybe some do. :unsure: But a perceived product quality or reputation, word of mouth from someone, etc must be the driver of those selections. They gotta be based on something. So why do we fret so much over all those motor oils, those snake oils, or those deceptive lubricants that are always out there trying to snag us into changing brand and buying them by bragging on their superior brand? Those oils that constantly change their packaging, their slogans or boast of their new improvements etc that get us all excited or angry. Those lubricants that cause us to sling mud at each other or to laugh at each other and accuse one of being an idiot or one of being cheap, etc... only cause we did something as simple and about as similar to choosing a Hunt's Ketchup instead of the Hines brand....? Most have stated and agree that there is not much at all that separates the modern motor oils one can purchase these days. ;) Check the dip stick. Turn the key. Smash pedal and enjoy....................................

That page says: Warren Oil is the largest independent lubricant manufacturer and marketer in the United States.

Maybe this is splitting hairs, and maybe I'm just wrong, but I've always understood that Warren was a blender, buying stock from the companies like XOM, Shell, etc, who actually own refineries and make their own base stocks, i.e., manufacture lubricants. I don't believe that the quality of the oil marketed by Warren, good or bad, is affected by whether they produce or just blend, I'm just curious if my understanding of the situation is correct.

Also, I have heard conflicting opinions/facts on whether the Warren products discussed here are Group II based, or have a good portion of Group II in their blend. Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited:
Also, I have heard conflicting opinions/facts on whether the Warren products discussed here are Group II based, or have a good portion of Group II in their blend. Can anyone confirm this?
The conventional products are going to be a Group I/II and maybe some Group III blend, the synthetics will be a majority Group III product. You can get an idea from the SDS for the particular brand.

Countless UOAs show that as long as you use an oil that meets your engines grade and specs….one oil doesn’t perform better than another. Ask the labs that do oil analyses.

You have a good point, well taken. My ride, I'm good w M1. Not changing now.

AGREE. YET......
Had an amusing thought that came to me and is not pointed at any one person. :cautious: I already admitted & proved I have OCD = Oil Change Delusions. Always find myself hanging on every BITOG posts and scanning the world wide web in search of that magic elixer motor oil that will be the best thing known to man. Deep down I know that one product can not be found. What I seek is likely found already in 99.9% of the motor oils for sale already + proven, thru use by all of us on the roads every day. How do we know? Because 99.9% of us never experience oil related engine damage or failures. Clearly something is working and working well.
I wonder how many of us will admit something?. I bet most of us act and make the same type of product / purchase decisions just like we decide what oil we put in our own vehicles when we are in the hardware store looking for some repair parts or even in the grocery store where we select food or drink brands etc... We all make those decisions based on something. We don't close our eyes and just grab random. Well..... maybe some do. :unsure: But a perceived product quality or reputation, word of mouth from someone, etc must be the driver of those selections. They gotta be based on something. So why do we fret so much over all those motor oils, those snake oils, or those deceptive lubricants that are always out there trying to snag us into changing brand and buying them by bragging on their superior brand? Those oils that constantly change their packaging, their slogans or boast of their new improvements etc that get us all excited or angry. Those lubricants that cause us to sling mud at each other or to laugh at each other and accuse one of being an idiot or one of being cheap, etc... only cause we did something as simple and about as similar to choosing a Hunt's Ketchup instead of the Hines brand....? Most have stated and agree that there is not much at all that separates the modern motor oils one can purchase these days. ;) Check the dip stick. Turn the key. Smash pedal and enjoy....................................
Marketing :)

That page says: Warren Oil is the largest independent lubricant manufacturer and marketer in the United States.

Maybe this is splitting hairs, and maybe I'm just wrong, but I've always understood that Warren was a blender, buying stock from the companies like XOM, Shell, etc, who actually own refineries and make their own base stocks, i.e., manufacture lubricants. I don't believe that the quality of the oil marketed by Warren, good or bad, is affected by whether they produce or just blend, I'm just curious if my understanding of the situation is correct.

Lol, oh Sheldon. Lubricant manufacturer can mean a blender. They MANUFACTURE the end product.

Do you not refer to intel as a chip MANUFACTURER? Yet they don’t mine the gold or other metals or silicon that goes in their chips. They buy raw material and MANUFACTURE a chip.

Lol, oh Sheldon. Lubricant manufacturer can mean a blender. They MANUFACTURE the end product.

Do you not refer to intel as a chip MANUFACTURER? Yet they don’t mine the gold or other metals or silicon that goes in their chips. They buy raw material and MANUFACTURE a chip.
AFAIK, Warren doesn't buy raw materials, they buy finished products and blend them. However, I did say I might be splitting hairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back