Thoughts on Super Tech?

Status
Not open for further replies.
By their little star chart, regular ST full syn is half as good as the advanced version in reducing engine wear/extending engine life and combatting sludge and deposits.

View attachment 77234
Now I see why cheaper. Pennzoil conventional oil has better numbers and when you get to the advance table for 20k Pennzoil Platinum has better numbers.

Attachments

• 550045208_PZ_CONV_5W30_5qt_US_BACK_GF6_TK.jpg
    550045208_PZ_CONV_5W30_5qt_US_BACK_GF6_TK.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 73
I might as well throw my $.02 in. Here is a copy and paste from what I said back a few months ago from a different thread that was ST vs. everyone else too:
~
Here is perhaps a slightly different take on this.
I live in a small town with a small, locally owned Napa store. Napa has some pretty good deals on oil through the end of August; Napa and Castrol. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to spend maybe a couple extra bucks and support them versus giving my money to the giant WM.
I am not critical of those that do. I've bought a lot of oil from Wal-Mart over the years. But with the deals at Napa right now, I'm going to stock up and add to my stash a bit before the end of the month.
I have posted similar - living in a small town you are going to buy things at Walmart. But I prefer lubricants from vertically integrated companies that I also rely on in my job overseas (and getting there) … companies matter.

The search function here is horrible. As long as I’ve been here I still can’t ever find specific threads via the search function.
I agree....and the guys who constantly harp "Use the 'Search' Function" are more annoying than a guy asking a question that's been asked before....especially since they will often sarcastically say "nice way to resurrect an old thread" if he posts his query in an older thread...I've always felt that if you can't add any substance to the thread you should ignore it rather than being the thread police.

As far as Supertech synthetic goes....I agree that it's a very good oil at a very good price (although it's gone up a bit lately like almost everything else) and I would use it with confidence in any application it's spec'd for. My only concern about ST synthetic is that, IIRC, the 'Advanced Synthetic' (20K) version doesn't seem any different than the 'Full Synthetic' (10K) according to VOA's. The same goes for ST oil filters where the only difference between the $2.97 filter and the $5.48 filter seems to be a silicone ADBV.

Last edited:
Dexos is a GM approved specification that requires a product license number
Yes all licenses have a specification but not all specifications are licensed.

Which sometimes makes it kind of difficult to determine if an oil actually complies with a specification.

Reactions: 4WD
Been using ST oils for years now and can't complain. 200K plus on many previous vehicles without any issues. However, With their new 20K version, I'm wondering if the added cost is worth the money?

Been using ST oils for years now and can't complain. 200K plus on many previous vehicles without any issues. However, With their new 20K version, I'm wondering if the added cost is worth the money?
The added cost is 36 cents per quart, or about 10.6% higher for the 20K version. I think I'd pay 11% more for an oil that can potentially last twice as long. Even if it lasted 12% longer than the 10K version, I'd come out ahead.

supertech is great for someone that wants cheap, good, and convenient but doesn’t necessarily need to maximize any of those three criteria. there are cheaper oils, there are better oils, there may be more convenient oils if wal-mart isn’t nearby, but on the whole, it hits the sweet spot for a lot of us.

if you want to do the work of looking for better oil on sale and storing it, you can do incrementally better than supertech. if you just wanna buy oil when you need it, supertech is great.

supertech is great for someone that wants cheap, good, and convenient but doesn’t necessarily need to maximize any of those three criteria. there are cheaper oils, there are better oils, there may be more convenient oils if wal-mart isn’t nearby, but on the whole, it hits the sweet spot for a lot of us.

if you want to do the work of looking for better oil on sale and storing it, you can do incrementally better than supertech. if you just wanna buy oil when you need it, supertech is great.
Yeah - rethinking Walmart anyway … was there early with 3 employees watching me as the lone check out - 2 at the register and one 25’ away near the door … later wanted to see my receipt - (one bag with food) she still has it unless she tossed it …

Last edited:
I use the 5W30 version in my Mustang GT. I'm sure it has no issues running 5000kms on it over summer. 4.6 isnt that hard on oil. Generally the oil comes out pretty clean. Also Im sure its a way better oil than Ford originally recommended in this engine.

I’m using the high mileage syn in my kids oil burning Kia 2.4. It’s the only oil I’ve found so far to really slow down the consumption. It went from a quart every 2,000 miles or so to 1/2 a quart in 5,000 miles. It works great in her application for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back