Thoughts on Super Tech?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I spend the extra for Mobil1 for my daily, which, with patience, often isn't a ton more than Supertech synthetic.

Is it worth the difference? Probably not but it makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Other than that, I've used bunches of Supertech conventional. Pre-rebuild in the MG when I was using a quart every 100 miles(not exaggerating) I kept a 5 quart jug of Supertech 20W-50 in the trunk. I still keep a quart or two in the trunk as there's an oil leak I need to fix and have been putting off(I know where it is, but it's a pain to get access to it). It's also what I put in the transmission-admittedly that's not as demanding as engine oil, but I still trust my pricey overdrive to it(which is hydraulically activated).

If I were shopping for a used car and found one that had been fed nothing but Supertech and changed regularly, I'd choose it over one rarely changed but with a name brand oil when it was.

I say use with confidence!

supertech for the daily drivers, mobil 1 for the hot rod, and whatever i have laying around for the lawnmowers and the junker i plow my driveway with.

That’s not how it works with Walmart. Walmart advertises Walmart and when you’re there (because of the advertisement) you buy motor oil along with all the other things you buy at Walmart. It’s just a little disingenuous to say that these other companies have “bloated” advertising costs on their products but Walmart can sell for less because they do not. The cost of Walmart’s advertising is spread over every product they sell, that isn’t the main driver why their products cost less.

I think they should put "It's good 'nuff" on the bottle with some Lucas-like italics writing and a 'Murican flag.
Or maybe claim that they found a 55 gallon drum of some mystery additive in an abandoned factory, which Mr. Lucas claims is how he got his start.:rolleyes:

Getting serious for a moment, we all know that a major refinery makes SuperTech oil for Wal-Mart, which may even be identical to a name-brand product. However, it's possible that licensing agreements keep Wal-Mart from listing all the actual specs and certs on the jugs. That's not my endorsement, just a comment.

Last edited:
I have run the ST full syn 5-30 in my Focus track car... for 3 years now. 12 events a year, 4 hours at 4-7000 rpm, 250* oil temps.
65-105* ambient temps. No issues. Pretty extreme/severe use. I really should do a UOA just for reference. (I like having a cheap track car that is as fast as cars 20x times the $$$ of what have in mine)
Those were awesome cars. Lots of bang for the buck. I was drooling over a 2018 Focus RS (last production year, I think) as a companion to my 2016 Mustang GT, but couldn't make the numbers or garage space work. My dealer had a few of them at highly discounted prices.

Yes, I spend the extra for Mobil1 for my daily, which, with patience, often isn't a ton more than Supertech synthetic.

Is it worth the difference? Probably not but it makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Other than that, I've used bunches of Supertech conventional. Pre-rebuild in the MG when I was using a quart every 100 miles(not exaggerating) I kept a 5 quart jug of Supertech 20W-50 in the trunk. I still keep a quart or two in the trunk as there's an oil leak I need to fix and have been putting off(I know where it is, but it's a pain to get access to it). It's also what I put in the transmission-admittedly that's not as demanding as engine oil, but I still trust my pricey overdrive to it(which is hydraulically activated).

If I were shopping for a used car and found one that had been fed nothing but Supertech and changed regularly, I'd choose it over one rarely changed but with a name brand oil when it was.

I say use with confidence!
Good luck finding a used car these days owned by someone who knows what kind of oil was used in it.:(

Or maybe claim that they found a 55 gallon drum of some mystery additive in an abandoned factory, which Mr. Lucas claims is how he got his start.:rolleyes:

Getting serious for a moment, we all know that a major refinery makes SuperTech oil for Wal-Mart, which may even be identical to a name-brand product. However, it's possible that licensing agreements keep Wal-Mart from listing all the actual specs and certs on the jugs. That's not my endorsement, just a comment.
Refinery ? Where is it ?

It's a blender, not a refinery. They buy the ingredients from other suppliers and blend them. Just like Amsoil.

I think its good oil and you should get it if you are in need of oil right away, however, you can get the brand name oils for cheaper with rebates.

I agree....and the guys who constantly harp "Use the 'Search' Function" are more annoying than a guy asking a question that's been asked before....especially since they will often sarcastically say "nice way to resurrect an old thread" if he posts his query in an older thread...I've always felt that if you can't add any substance to the thread you should ignore it rather than being the thread police.

As far as Supertech synthetic goes....I agree that it's a very good oil at a very good price (although it's gone up a bit lately like almost everything else) and I would use it with confidence in any application it's spec'd for. My only concern about ST synthetic is that, IIRC, the 'Advanced Synthetic' (20K) version doesn't seem any different than the 'Full Synthetic' (10K) according to VOA's. The same goes for ST oil filters where the only difference between the $2.97 filter and the $5.48 filter seems to be a silicone ADBV.
Agree 1000%. We come here to discuss, not to search. And the search often leaves you empty handed, and guess what? If you do actually find what you’re searching for, if it’s an old thread you had better not bring that thread back up, or you’ll hear...you realize this thread is over two years old, how dare you?

But regarding ST — I agree again. Seem to remember the 20,000 version not being much different than the 10,000 mile ST. I can’t remember the difference in actual price (might be a couple bucks) but it turned me off that they slapped the 20,000 mile oil label on it without explanation or evidence to why or how?

Was down at Walmart last night picking up some things and needed to pick up some Fuel Injector Cleaner. Back in the oil isle, man & women in there 50s were looking at 5 quart jugs of HM oil and initially he picked up Castrol GTX HM. I said, he look -- this high mileage is cheaper and its full synthetic. I said, dont be fooled because of the name -- quality oil and a great price. Sure enough, he thanked my & put it in the cart while his wife was smiling away.

Whoops. I was wrong. I now see where it is "manufactured " (blended?) and "packaged" by Warren Oil Company.
NO. Warren Distribution. Schlott, Downey and Knapp.
WD House brand is Mag 1

Warren Oil used to bottle AutoZone house brand stuff, at the very Least the diesel jugs.
I don't recall if Old World or Warren Oil bottled the Orange Bottle AZ house brand quarts,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back