Those other people you see buying oil at walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol. I guess I'm lucky,I just go in,get my stuff,pick the shortest check out line,pay,and leave.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
I saw an little old white haired lady who must be at least 75 years old today in the oil section of the Wilton Walmart. I was grabbing an oil filter for my dad's jeep, and she picked up 5 quarts of Valvoline Synpower 5W-30, a ST Oil filter, 6 quarts of Valvoline Dex/Merc ATF, and a Fram Air filter. (Acceptable) I asked her very politely if she needed any help. She looked at me and smiled, and said no she was going to go home and change the oil and transmission fluid herself on her old deceased husbands Buick. I said bye and came straight home. Wow, spry old lady.

Somehow this is how I picture my wife turning out (way) down the road...
19.gif

She would always be around groups of car guys at the office talking away about whatever cars or projects interested them at the time. She'd be following along not really paying attention while working and then spout out some comment "but wouldn't that mean the compression wasn't up to spec?" that she heard me talking about a week before. The guys were usually shocked.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FZ1
I don't understand the elitism being displayed re Walmart. It's just a store. Many are open 24 hours and are located along highways. That's why you see people in route hunting,fishing,working,etc.,stopping to shop on the way to another activity in the activity appropriate attire. If you think anything else,you have a problem.

Walmart is a very big and successful business. This makes them a magnet for hatred. Some people have problems with various Walmart business practices, and because of this they feel they have good reason not to shop there. That, by itself is perfectly fine. However, I have a problem with the "crusaders", the ones that won't accept any OTHER people shopping at Walmart, and do everything in their power to insult and demean those that shop there.

I love Walmart! Absolute BEST place to buy groceries,which I`m headed to as soon as I submit this post :^)

Well,there is a difference between Steel and Aluminum frames. Ride much??

yes, and 15 yrs bicycle tech experience. not all steel is the same as well as not all aluminum is the same. point being, the 'salesman' was not qualified to explain the difference, nor would there be any appreciable difference at such a low quality level. the bikes are such chrap it doesn't matter what they are made of.

Who ever said that the lowest price always had to be the highest quality . I buy my supertech oil and filters at wm when the other brands are too expensive. I have had one filter leak and they replaced it. I swore i would never buy them again ,but I buy other champ brand filters so I have(in a weak moment) bought them again. My car has 270,000 miles on the original motor so I guess their junk has not hurt my car too much.
I kinda imagine that a bunch of fat , balding ,shirtless, old men , are posting on this forum between runs of downloading kiddie pictures so are we any different than the customers of wm. Stop bashing just because you think that you are a petroleum engineer. I probably guess that you are by the BOB label on your shirt and the Plexiglas window you sit behind. See , i can do it too!
WHAT A SHAME!
Nice first post ,eh.

Originally Posted By: chad8
Who ever said that the lowest price always had to be the highest quality . I buy my supertech oil and filters at wm when the other brands are too expensive. I have had one filter leak and they replaced it. I swore i would never buy them again ,but I buy other champ brand filters so I have(in a weak moment) bought them again. My car has 270,000 miles on the original motor so I guess their junk has not hurt my car too much.
I kinda imagine that a bunch of fat , balding ,shirtless, old men , are posting on this forum between runs of downloading kiddie pictures so are we any different than the customers of wm. Stop bashing just because you think that you are a petroleum engineer. I probably guess that you are by the BOB label on your shirt and the Plexiglas window you sit behind. See , i can do it too!
WHAT A SHAME!
Nice first post ,eh.

lol.gif
I'm 22, not balding, not shirtless, and not fat
48.gif
Welcome to the site.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
Well,there is a difference between Steel and Aluminum frames. Ride much??

yes, and 15 yrs bicycle tech experience. not all steel is the same as well as not all aluminum is the same. point being, the 'salesman' was not qualified to explain the difference, nor would there be any appreciable difference at such a low quality level. the bikes are such chrap it doesn't matter what they are made of.

WAYYYYYYYYY back when I was into bikes,all-chromoly frames were the rage (Redline,Diamondback),then titanium (there was this BMX bike called the Bearmobile),and carbon steel (Mongoose,unless you got the Supergoose or the Team Mongoose which was all chromoly). Now I see alot of high end mountain bikes that are all aluminum.

Last edited:
Not everybody can afford Dura Ace.

lots of intermediate steps between wal mart and dura ace. even an entry level bike shop bike is light years ahead of WM.

Have you notice the difference with the jugs from Auto Zone and the jugs from Walmart ? Next time your in Auto Zone , check out the Mobil 1 jugs and compare it to the Mobil 1 jugs from Walmart..

To make it easier here is the difference with the jugs.
At Auto Zone they are : 5.28 US Qts / 5 Liters ..
At Walmart they are : 5 US Qts. / 4.73 Liters..
Just wondering if anyone else noticed this too..

http://yfrog.com/alsspx0009ejx

Last edited:
Yeah but that's better than someone that ignores their car altogether, and possibly better than just taking the car to a Speedi-Lube place.

I think the main thing is to pay attention to OCIs, whatever's used for oil and filters is better than ignoring it.

49.gif

The people that made me believe the *myth* that once synthetic oil is used, that you can't go back to Dino oil was a local brand new Auto Zone store. You'd think they could see through myths like this but I didn't learn the truth until I found BITOG.

That AZ store also recommended I change the Syntec 10-30 after 9 months. (Sell more oil that way).
smirk2.gif

I want to know what the Accel ND "lubricating oil" is doing in the "motor oil" section. That's irresponsible.
It's fine for oiling the axles on dollys and carts, but I usually turn the first bottle around and sort of hide that row to try to keep people from buying it for engines.

Originally Posted By: MrWideTires
..I always see some other dude buying oil, usually they have "Guy harvey" t-shirt, or they're wearing a fishing shirt for no reason, or the latest.. a John Deere shirt.

I never notice guys shopping for oil....but I only hang out in the cosmetics dept at Wal Whirled.

Originally Posted By: callbay
I enjoy it when the shop guys at Wal-Mart are coming into the oil dept. to grab a filter and they ask me if they can help while I am looking at the oil. I always say "no thanks" as I am thinking about all the stories of what goes on in their shop.
15.gif

They are nice to ask though.

I always want to tell them about BITOG but I don't.

Oh My. Spread the word. I always tell these guys about BITOG and for the most part, they are appreciative. On a subsequent visit one of the guys actually admitted that he lurked around the site and found it most informative.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
but I usually turn the first bottle around and sort of hide that row to try to keep people from buying it for engines.

that's seriously OCD. do you hide the pepsi also so people don't drink anything w/ HFCS? or hide the hot dogs under the organic chicken?

Originally Posted By: MrWideTires
Everytime I go to walmart to pickup some oil (not that often.. usually go to Autozone for GC) ..I always see some other dude buying oil, usually they have "Guy harvey" t-shirt, or they're wearing a fishing shirt for no reason, or the latest.. a John Deere shirt.

I feel sorry for their cars... and this is why I don't buy used cars unless I know the owner and how was it mantained.

The latest one picked up a jug of PYB 10w40, some STP oil treatment, and an orange FRAM filter. I would not that car with a 10-inch pole.

Why are you checking the guys out at Walmart to see what they are wearing?...I just grab what I want and get out and could not care less what anybody is wearing.

Their cars might be in better condition then the bulk of the others out there...At least they are changing their oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back