Those other people you see buying oil at walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sine the oil companies won't do it, I wish the retailers would make up a basic flow chart or Venn Diagram for customers.

Old=Thick (40)

New=Thin (30)

Winter=5w

Summer=10w

No wonder 10w-30 is the best selling grade, it's the middle-est.

Hey at least they are buying oil so they can change it. An employee of mine asked me to look at her 07' Expedition because the oil light was on and it was running rough and when I checked it, it barely registered on the dipstick. I asked when was the last time she had it serviced and she told me never because it didn't need it until 100,000 miles. True story.

Well, she had the car repoed a few months ago and I cringe to think that it was probably sold at auction and then sold on some used lot somewhere to an unaware buyer. the truck was beautiful looking but I bet that motor doesn't make it to 50k.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
I can't tell if the other oil shoppers are cluelesss or BITOGERs.

One group would look at all the bottles before deciding, and the other would too. Both would have an overwhelmed look on their face.

We have come full circle.

Good one, mechtech2. Not only full circle, but the engines of the clueless ones are probably as well protected as the BITOG ones that have OCD owners spending time here posting on pathetic threads like this one (myself, included).

The JD shirt guy I know has a half million dollars of ag. equipment with turbo charged diesel engines that would chew up the OP and spit him out with the silage.

The 10W40 PYB/STP/Fram guy might have a 20 year old smoke belching beater he is just trying to keep going for a few more months.

While MR. Widetire feels sorry for cars, I feel sorry for any visitor here reading this thread about people sharing their experiences and judgements about shoppers at Walmart.

Judging others based on their clothing, oil brand, etc.......that brings this forum to a new low.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I don't check out what other guys @ WM are doing. 8)

Well, the most recent time I was at WM looking for 2 cycle oil (which they didn't have) an attractive 50ish woman appeared to be perplexed, peering down at a business card and then up at the shelves.

Then came the line every BITOG'r dreams of:"Do you know anything about oil?"

Seems she was looking for syn top off oil for her 9x Lexus or Infinity and she had all the requirements written down ISLAC GFx, SH, etc. The aisle she was on only had ST oil, but I mentioned the shelves on the other side were packed with syn oils.

After about 5 minutes of chatting I had her off with a jug of M1 5W-30 and a funnel lest she "pour the oil all over the top of the engine" She remarked it appeared to be her lucky day and that the funnel "was a good idea"

If you got her number, send it to me!

Oh man, I tried and tried and tried. Offered to go out to the parking lot and do the work myself hinting she might be unaware of the amount to put in, except she was so low on the stick, that she drove her HUSBAND's car down to pick up the oil. Nuff said there....

I was a bit worried when she insisted on buying a 1 gal jug...

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
I've never seen anyone purchase SuperTech oil.
I HATE the LCD oil filter selector at Walmart.
I did see a used wiper blade in a package at walmart. someone actually had the nerve to return a used wiper blade!?!?!??
I've never seen a female in the oil sectionm at walmart. sniffle sniffle. let alone a Lexus in the parking lot.

I've been using SuperTech full synthetic for about three years now....
I also buy motorcraft oil filters ( and some AC Delco) there.

Many years ago when I was only using M1(now Amsoil), Walmart had a sale on M1 $19.99 a case of 6 quarts. Well they had no cases left only loose quart bottles. So I find the automotive department manager (which is a woman) if I could get 6 quarts for the case price. She says no not 6 quarts, 12 quarts. I said no it's 6, she says no 12. So not to argue I agreed and grabed 48 quarts. All said and done it came out to about $1.50 a quart.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
I have never seen anyone else in the oil aisle while I have been at Wal-Mart. It's usually a ghost town in the automotive section. Weird.

thats because their all old farts down their in FL,and go to the dealer for oil changes.......
grin2.gif

Huh.....the website doesen't [censored] the word farts?

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Sine the oil companies won't do it, I wish the retailers would make up a basic flow chart or Venn Diagram for customers.

Old=Thick (40)

New=Thin (30)

Winter=5w

Summer=10w

No wonder 10w-30 is the best selling grade, it's the middle-est.

01.gif

11.gif

38.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Speeking of the Walmart Oil section, the last 4 times Ive been to W.M the M1 section has been blown out!!!!I meen basicly nothing but 1 qt bottles and 5 qt. jugs of 15w-50. I wonder if local mechanic shops wipe out the shelves as soon as the stock is replenished??. All other brands are usually nicely filled...

MY RECENT WAL-MART OIL STORIES:

I helped a girl who was buying 10w40 Accel for her '02 Dodge Neon...I corrected her and sent her away with a couple qts of 5w30 ST dino and explained to her how to check her oil & get it to the proper fill level

I saw a guy in a pair of loafers & breathing though his mouth look for about 5 minutes and then buy 10w40 Quaker State dino & a Fram filter...no doubt that was for his newer model minivan that probably calls for 5w30 LOL...I did not bother to attempt to speak to him

Then finally, I saw a guy get Pennzoil YB 5w30 and I commented to him that it was good oil. He had never heard before about the wax story and said his dad was a retired mechanic and had used Pennzoil since the 60's and swore by it...I found that odd, but refreshing

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
I can't tell if the other oil shoppers are cluelesss or BITOGERs.

One group would look at all the bottles before deciding, and the other would too. Both would have an overwhelmed look on their face.

We have come full circle.

Good one, mechtech2. Not only full circle, but the engines of the clueless ones are probably as well protected as the BITOG ones that have OCD owners spending time here posting on pathetic threads like this one (myself, included).

The JD shirt guy I know has a half million dollars of ag. equipment with turbo charged diesel engines that would chew up the OP and spit him out with the silage.

The 10W40 PYB/STP/Fram guy might have a 20 year old smoke belching beater he is just trying to keep going for a few more months.

While MR. Widetire feels sorry for cars, I feel sorry for any visitor here reading this thread about people sharing their experiences and judgements about shoppers at Walmart.

Judging others based on their clothing, oil brand, etc.......that brings this forum to a new low.

THANK YOU! The rest of you probably shouldn't go outside when it's raining.

I over heard a youg fella tell his buddy"That's how they rip you off,buying oil and other things for your car."I have no idea what he meant by that.

The oil isle at all my local Wal-Marts are almost always completely empty. However, when I do see someone (usually ONE), Pennzoil seems to be the only one I have ever seen picked up. Mobil 1 on a couple of occasions. They are always almost out of all the Pennzoil products. There is always plenty of SuperTech, Motorcraft, and Castrol though. Then again, I didn't start buying oil there till this year. But it's interesting nonetheless.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kruse
MrWideTires said:
I was just about ready to ask for her phone number or see if we couldn't change oil together and......I saw her load up a Fram oil filter. I walked away from her as I knew we were incompatible.

Hey. A guy has got to have some standards. I knew I could never take this woman home to meet my family.

Well, you missed a chance to educate :).

Originally Posted By: wgtoys
MrWideTires said:
I was just about ready to ask for her phone number or see if we couldn't change oil together and......I saw her load up a Fram oil filter. I walked away from her as I knew we were incompatible.

Hey. A guy has got to have some standards. I knew I could never take this woman home to meet my family.

+1

It seems that the amount of space Wal-Mart has for oil and filters is very large for not having many people in that section. We have a large new Supercenter and I have spent several minutes there several times lately and usually see no one. Especially no atractive ladies!

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I don't check out what other guys @ WM are doing. 8)

Well, the most recent time I was at WM looking for 2 cycle oil (which they didn't have) an attractive 50ish woman appeared to be perplexed, peering down at a business card and then up at the shelves.

Then came the line every BITOG'r dreams of:"Do you know anything about oil?"

Seems she was looking for syn top off oil for her 9x Lexus or Infinity and she had all the requirements written down ISLAC GFx, SH, etc. The aisle she was on only had ST oil, but I mentioned the shelves on the other side were packed with syn oils.

After about 5 minutes of chatting I had her off with a jug of M1 5W-30 and a funnel lest she "pour the oil all over the top of the engine" She remarked it appeared to be her lucky day and that the funnel "was a good idea"

did you make good and get her number at least?

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: wgtoys
MrWideTires said:

+1

I forgot the smiley on my post. I sure hope you knew it was a mild attempt at humor.
All the people I see buying oil are mindless zombies who still buy the 10W-40 and the same brand of oil that they have purchased for 30+ years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back