Those other people you see buying oil at walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mpvue
Originally Posted By: river_rat
but I usually turn the first bottle around and sort of hide that row to try to keep people from buying it for engines.

that's seriously OCD. do you hide the pepsi also so people don't drink anything w/ HFCS? or hide the hot dogs under the organic chicken?

I do the exact same thing that river_rat does.

I hate seeing those guys in the long trench coats fondling the oil with that lustful look in their eye.

Originally Posted By: odessit
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I love Walmart! Absolute BEST place to buy groceries

33.gif

I do not think I would want to visit southern TX
27.gif

I advise you to skip south Loozyana while you're at it. I wish I could.

Save-a-Lot stores, if you have them, sell grocieries of the same or better quality than Mall-Wart, and are possibly even cheaper . . . and the stores are clean and rarely crowded.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral

33.gif

27.gif

Save-a-Lot stores, if you have them, sell grocieries of the same or better quality than Mall-Wart, and are possibly even cheaper . . . and the stores are clean and rarely crowded.

WM put a lot of them out of business down hthere, delchamps is gone, isn't it? winn dixie still around?
up here, there are plenty of better choices than WM. when you actually do REAL price comparisons, not just what they show as examples, you can do better at other places.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral

33.gif

27.gif

Save-a-Lot stores, if you have them, sell groceries of the same or better quality than Mall-Wart, and are possibly even cheaper . . . and the stores are clean and rarely crowded.

WM put a lot of them out of business down hthere, delchamps is gone, isn't it? winn dixie still around?
up here, there are plenty of better choices than WM. when you actually do REAL price comparisons, not just what they show as examples, you can do better at other places.

Yes, Winn-Sickie is still here in NO; there's one only a few steps outside my door. High prices and inefficient management. I can't tell you how many times I've walked in that store at the beginning of the evening rush and watched as the staff snap into action immediately: They shut down the express lane.

Delcramps was nice in that a lot of their stores were open 24/7, and they had some inexpensive store brands. Sav-A-Center, from the A & P people (also gone), has been bought out by a local chain, Rouse's. Much better prices and service all around, as with Breaux Mart, another local company with about six stores.

Miss Linda has switched to Save-a-Lot for most grocery items. You know you've got something on the ball when she, who saves money by reusing coffee grounds, goes to your store instead of Walmart.

(Okay, she puts fresh coffee in atop the used grounds, so it's not as bad as it sounds.)

I worked, on and off, for years at a WM near my place. It was in a 'not so nice' corner of town, and is a pretty run-down store.

We sold LOTS of ST oil. It was always out of stock. Lots of locals with oil-burners needed it for top-off. If folk bought something else, it was often PZ YB, b/c that was on the shelf the most.

Most cars that came into our shop were half-dead already. No oil showing, smoking and knocking, and CEL's on were the norm, NOT the exception.

Funny thing I noticed is that among the small part of our clientelle that DID care for their cars a lot, and were fussy about them, most of them insisted on using Valvoline oil, and got pretty nasty if something else was used by mistake, or they thought it was.....

I certainly agree with that statement. Just don't see the harm in the WM bike person explaining the differences between Steel and Aluminium to a customer buying a WM bike.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
I certainly agree with that statement. Just don't see the harm in the WM bike person explaining the differences between Steel and Aluminium to a customer buying a WM bike.

ok, back to THAT again. my point was that in WM, they are BOTH boat anchors. they sell lots of so-called 'full suspension' mtn bikes that weigh over 40lbs. the aluminum is low grade thick wall junk; it is ludicrous to think that a casual 'biker' will be able to discern any difference or advantage of one over another.
harm being done? the harm is that people think 'bikes are bikes', and in dept stores, they are sold in the toy dept. people who might otherwise enjoy cycling might not ever get the chance because they were turned off by a less than enthralling experience riding a mass market bike.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe

lol.gif
I'm 22, not balding, not shirtless, and not fat
48.gif
Welcome to the site.

I'm not alone here then.
beer3.gif

I've walked into many a Wal-Mart in my most expensive jeans and a Abercrombie button-up just to grab some oil or whatever supply I need.

Last edited:
So? Maybe the WM salesperson should refer all the customers out to a bike shop? My initial comment was that the WM sales person should not be "beaten up" by you for pointing out the basic differences between Steel and Aluminum. End of subject.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
So? Maybe the WM salesperson should refer all the customers out to a bike shop? My initial comment was that the WM sales person should not be "beaten up" by you for pointing out the basic differences between Steel and Aluminum. End of subject.

you can't call end of subject!:) I never beat up on the guy, I just overheard his dispensing of misinformation. he was as clueless as the customers, maybe it was a good match, who cares. THAT'S the end of subject.

M1 prices have dropped lately on M1, and people are stocking up - civilians and some shops.
That M1 name is a huge factor - it stands for high quality - the best - to most people.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2

That M1 name is a huge factor - it stands for high quality - the best - to most people.
Not on BITOG :).

Last edited:
I recently had a Wal-Mart employee tell me that ST, Pennzoil, & QS were all made by the same company (pennzoil) and that he lost an engine using Pennzoil.

I 1st informed him that I thought he was wrong and that the older Tech-2000 oil was made by QS, but that the ST was made by Warren and was a decent oil for a normal OCI.

Then I dug deeper and it caught him off-guard when I began to ask specific questions about this alleged vehicle that Pennzoil killed. I will not go through the methodical questions I asked because I hate to type, but the data I got back was:

- it was a '79 Chevy p/u with a small block

- he did not buy it new, it was inherited from someone in his family who was supposedly a professional mechanic who did all the required service and only used Pennzoil

- When I asked if he was using the correct oil weight he said he was and that it "calls for 5w30" LOL....yeah right in '79 hahahaha

- after a year of owning it, the "block got a crack in it that you could fit your hand in" LOL

- he will never use Pennzoil again and would not recommend it (or ST or QS) to any of his customers. I am sure Wal-mart corp would be happy for him

From what I could gather he never even changed the oil for the year he owned it. When I told him that overheating is what most likely caused his crack and not the oil & that usually a head will crack before the block and asked him if it ever overheated, he shut down the conversation...he knew he was caught...

I am ashamed to have once been a person who fell for the stories about Pennzoil, but at least I am not one who actually makes one of these false claims.

COMMENTS?

Originally Posted By: FastSUV
I recently had a Wal-Mart employee tell me that ST, Pennzoil, & QS were all made by the same company (pennzoil)

Super Tech full syn is the same as MAG 1. Not Pennz or Quaker.

Originally Posted By: Tortured_Soul
Originally Posted By: FastSUV
I recently had a Wal-Mart employee tell me that ST, Pennzoil, & QS were all made by the same company (pennzoil)

Super Tech full syn is the same as MAG 1. Not Pennz or Quaker.

Mag-1 is decent oil isn't it? I still say Warren makes the dino ST; maybe the fill-syn is made by someone else though.

Originally Posted By: Curious_George
Has anybody noticed that the Supertech 5W-30 synthetic (in a clear bottle w/ a wide mouth) is now certified for the GM4178M specification?

CG

yeah, there have been some recent posts on it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back