Those other people you see buying oil at walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Samilcar
Some people have problems with various Walmart business practices, and because of this they feel they have good reason not to shop there. That, by itself is perfectly fine. However, I have a problem with the "crusaders", the ones that won't accept any OTHER people shopping at Walmart, and do everything in their power to insult and demean those that shop there.

The problem is that OTHER people shopping at Wal*Mart support and sustains the objectionable Wal*Mart business practices.

At the highest levels, Wal*Mart has been pushing this country towards a lower-standard of living equilibrium. Wal*Mart's goal is to make the general population poor enough that they can only afford to shop at wal*mart. They kill all sorts of small businesses (and put severe stress on larger ones) while replacing those good jobs with low skill McJobs.

It's essentially the opposite idea of Henry Ford paying his workers $5/day so that they could afford to buy Model T's themselves.

In addition, wal*mart encourages substantial waste of natural resources by selling low quality products (with shorter working lives) as well as importing [censored] near everything from China. You think those container ships run on solar?

Hence if you want to stop the damage being caused by wal*mart, you must convince others not to shop there. Thus leveraging your personal non-participation in wal*mart.

One way to do that, is to make Wal*mart socially unacceptable, by insulting and demeaning those idiots who shop there.
31.gif

Originally Posted By: SL2

I have been saying this for a couple of years now, Why go to AutoZone, and pay the full price for a 5Qt, and filter, when you can go to Wal-mart, pay $25, and that gets me a 5Qt of PP 5W30 and a Motorcraft filter..

Autozone is constantly running promotions for motor oil every month. You can usually get 5 Qt of the synthetic of the month + a filter for $30 or sometimes less.

They pretty much price match wal*mart when it comes to oil.

this thread actually got me thinking to try the auto section at WM the other night; our car got hit in front of the house and I needed some lens tape and bulbs for a temporary fix. they were out of 1157 bulbs AND lens tape. the only crowded section was the morons checking out the chrome and ricer 'accessories'. for all the effort to go there, find a place to park, walk through the mass of idiocy to get to the back of the store, and THEN not having what I needed? forget it. went down to AA like I should have to begin with, got just what I needed, got in and out quick.

I never go there with any real intent on buying. I do it to get a barometer on oil prices or catching something on close out. I do end up buying some brake clean and maybe a MC/ST filter or two.

I have no desire to cart out tons of plastic like it was something I'm supposed to do.

I usually don't reply to these kinds of postings...but, while I agree with others comments in regards to Wal-Marts business practices (don't really like 'em so I avoid 'em), I don't understand why Mr. Widetires has to create a posting to slam others who purchase oil, filters, & junk at Wal Mart.

I'm guessing those "other" people are nice folks...though maybe uninformed or misinformed. How can anyone make such rash judgments about other people they don't even know?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ionbeam22
Some people have problems with various Walmart business practices, and because of this they feel they have good reason not to shop there. That, by itself is perfectly fine. However, I have a problem with the "crusaders", the ones that won't accept any OTHER people shopping at Walmart, and do everything in their power to insult and demean those that shop there.

The problem is that OTHER people shopping at Wal*Mart support and sustains the objectionable Wal*Mart business practices.

At the highest levels, Wal*Mart has been pushing this country towards a lower-standard of living equilibrium. Wal*Mart's goal is to make the general population poor enough that they can only afford to shop at wal*mart. They kill all sorts of small businesses (and put severe stress on larger ones) while replacing those good jobs with low skill McJobs.

It's essentially the opposite idea of Henry Ford paying his workers $5/day so that they could afford to buy Model T's themselves.

In addition, wal*mart encourages substantial waste of natural resources by selling low quality products (with shorter working lives) as well as importing [censored] near everything from China. You think those container ships run on solar?

Hence if you want to stop the damage being caused by wal*mart, you must convince others not to shop there. Thus leveraging your personal non-participation in wal*mart.

One way to do that, is to make Wal*mart socially unacceptable, by insulting and demeaning those idiots who shop there.
31.gif

There are many folks here at BITOG that shop at WM. By calling all of us "idiots" that do that doesn't show much tolerance on your part for freedom to chose the place where we want to spend our dollars. By talking that way it really makes us heartlanders think you northeasteners are elitist.

I don't remember seeing a 5 qt jug at AZ or AAA. The're always 4 qt. and even on sale are real close to the same price as WW 5 qt. jugs.

Originally Posted By: tig1
However, I have a problem with the "crusaders", the ones that won't accept any OTHER people shopping at Walmart, and do everything in their power to insult and demean those that shop there.

31.gif

There are many folks here at BITOG that shop at WM. By calling all of us "idiots" that do that doesn't show much tolerance on your part for freedom to chose the place where we want to spend our dollars. By talking that way it really makes us heartlanders think you northeasteners are elitist.

I think you missed (or maybe I did a bad job of it) the sarcasm by echoing samilcar's phrasing.

In consumer society such as our own, where and how you shop has implications for the polity. Shopping at wal*wart means you are willing to contribute money to WMT's political agenda.

Since I oppose that agenda, I advocate against shopping at wal*mart. Some of these reasons are more theoretical, e.g that wal*mart supports slave labor in china, and others more pragmatic e.g that shopping at wal*mart is unpleasant.

When it comes to motor oil, looking at the most recent Autozone circular shows a number oil change specials ranging from

http://www.autozone.com/dyn/dyn/MEDIA_ProductCatalog/m1300231_circular_pdf_slot_1.pdf

5qt Quaker State Dino + filter for $14

to

5qt of Mobil 1 + M1 filter (Castrol Edge + Bosch Filter) for $30.

So walmart is not the cheapest place to get oil change packages either.

Alternatively,we were just driving by and wanted to get the best price on our awl.

So I'm new and this is my first post. Other than business practices, are you (collectively) saying that WM's PP, M1, Castrol, etc., is different than what I can buy at an auto parts store?

Originally Posted By: window
So I'm new and this is my first post. Other than business practices, are you (collectively) saying that WM's PP, M1, Castrol, etc., is different than what I can buy at an auto parts store?

No!

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Originally Posted By: window

No!
Agree!

NOT a CHANCE that the oil at Wal-Mart is any different than any other place.

People who think this REALLY need to find something else to think about and put away the foil hats.
33.gif

Take care, Bill

PS:
welcome2.gif

31.gif

I disagree. If you dislike the business practices of Walmart, and want to convince other people not to shop there, the best way of doing this is through reasoned and rational argument.

Insulting people and calling them "idiots" because they hold a viewpoint that differs from yours, only highlights the weakness of the very argument that you are trying to make.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kestas
The moment you have one person trying to dictate another person how to run his life, you will have problems.

This is rather profound. This stands true for civilizations as well.

I disagree. If you dislike the business practices of Walmart, and want to convince other people not to shop there, the best way of doing this is through reasoned and rational argument.

This I doubt very much. The choice to shop at wal*mart is usually not the result of reasoned thought. It's an instant unconscious thing.

And so you need to create a message that can be considered instantly and unconciously. Something along the lines of

"Wal*mart sucks!" or "Wal*Mart: not for me" how you instill that message could involve reasoned argument or not.

For example you could have a thread about various socially undesirable people "other people" you might encounter while shopping at WMT.

This I doubt very much. The choice to shop at wal*mart is usually not the result of reasoned thought. It's an instant unconscious thing.

Please.
smirk2.gif

I think out EVERY purchase and shop at Wal-Mart to the tune of over $2000 a month. Go there once a week at the min.

You really need to get over your problems with Wal-Mart and understand why they are the nations #1 retailer.

They provide service/product for a good cost. I value every cent I spend and don't need to throw away money.

Bill

I was going to come up with a reasoned, logical rebuttal to moonbeam22's posts, such as the fact that everywhere a Walmart has been built the locals quickly adapt to it and are happy to have it in the neighborhood. Walmart is a "good neighbor" in more ways than one, and I for one often shop there. However, moonbeam22's own posts have revealed the mental processes or lack thereof that prompt his anonymous posts, so it is really unnecessary to belabor the point.
Mike Thompson

Originally Posted By: Kestas
The moment you have one person trying to dictate another person how to run his life, you will have problems.

And your statement brings this discussion full circle to the OP's flawed original observation. I keep a little black book of life lessons, and one of my earliest is "try hard not to judge others".

ionbeam22, I share some of your sentiments about big box stores and their affects on our country. That is why I find much of your argument VERY HYPOCRITICAL.

You chastise the whole Walmart idea, then turn around and suggest people shop at places like Autozone, the "Walmart" of auto stores. Autozone and the other big box auto stores put all of the mom and pop auto stores out of business. Stores that carried better quality parts and employed knowledgeable counter help.

Like it or not, the big box store phenomenon is about all we have today. Where can one go to NOT buy Chinese products of any type.....clothing, auto, building materials?

How dare people wanting to save their hard earned money by shopping at places that offer the lowest prices.........shame!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back