Those other people you see buying oil at walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Curious_George
Has anybody noticed that the Supertech 5W-30 synthetic (in a clear bottle w/ a wide mouth) is now certified for the GM4178M specification?

CG

Yep.

Originally Posted By: Samilcar
I hate buying oil at Walmart.

There's always some nosy guy standing there giving me the ol' look over. It's almost enough to make me stop wearing my fancy "goin' to wally world" JD shirt.

lol.gif

My FIL was the director of the Delaware River Port Authority. Every Saturday morning he was unshaven and wearing the most knock around clothing he owned. In the winter it was a flaming orange hunting hat and a heavy flannel shirt. Everyone waited on him to get him moving quickly in the affluent suburbs. This was pre-WallMart ..so KMart or whatever ..ACE ..will have to do.

Originally Posted By: Curious_George
Has anybody noticed that the Supertech 5W-30 synthetic (in a clear bottle w/ a wide mouth) is now certified for the GM4178M specification?

CG

No, not here in PA anyway... I will keep my eye out.

I was at Walmart a few months ago and was picking up oil and this guy came up to me and asked me about Mobil 1 because it was highly recommended by his friends.

I told him its a good oil but for the price of a few dollars less you can run just as good oil such as Synpower and PP. What does he do? Picks up another jug of Mobil 1 and walks off. Whats the point of asking if you throw my suggestion under the table? lol

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Anies
I was at Walmart a few months ago and was picking up oil and this guy came up to me and asked me about Mobil 1 because it was highly recommended by his friends.

I told him its a good oil but for the price of a few dollars less you can run just as good oil such as Synpower and PP. What does he do? Picks up another jug of Mobil 1 and walks off. Whats the point of asking if you throw my suggestion under the table? lol

he probably thought Pennzoil Platinum had too much wax in it and you lost all credibility with him...or price was not a factor to him

Originally Posted By: FastSUV
I recently had a Wal-Mart employee tell me that ST, Pennzoil, & QS were all made by the same company (pennzoil) and that he lost an engine using Pennzoil.

I 1st informed him that I thought he was wrong and that the older Tech-2000 oil was made by QS, but that the ST was made by Warren and was a decent oil for a normal OCI.

Then I dug deeper and it caught him off-guard when I began to ask specific questions about this alleged vehicle that Pennzoil killed. I will not go through the methodical questions I asked because I hate to type, but the data I got back was:

- it was a '79 Chevy p/u with a small block

- he did not buy it new, it was inherited from someone in his family who was supposedly a professional mechanic who did all the required service and only used Pennzoil

- When I asked if he was using the correct oil weight he said he was and that it "calls for 5w30" LOL....yeah right in '79 hahahaha

- after a year of owning it, the "block got a crack in it that you could fit your hand in" LOL

- he will never use Pennzoil again and would not recommend it (or ST or QS) to any of his customers. I am sure Wal-mart corp would be happy for him

From what I could gather he never even changed the oil for the year he owned it. When I told him that overheating is what most likely caused his crack and not the oil & that usually a head will crack before the block and asked him if it ever overheated, he shut down the conversation...he knew he was caught...

I am ashamed to have once been a person who fell for the stories about Pennzoil, but at least I am not one who actually makes one of these false claims.

COMMENTS?

LMAO thats so funny any person that pays any attenion to the hand held would know if you scan a bottle of super tech it says Warren Oil CO.
But I work at Walmart in the TLE as a Tech. and I will reccomend any oil to anyone. I suggest its just persnol prefrence as far as brand names I do try to shew them away from the bulk oil since the bottle oil is the same price.
I try to get them to stay with the reccomend oil for the car but some wont budge I had a guy bring in a hemi jeep and he wanted 20w50 castrol gtx in it and his oil cap said 5w20 with only 7000 miles on the jeep I thought to my self glad its not mine and not my warrenty im loosing for being stupid

Good stuff, Good stuff....I am happy to see an actual Wal-mart employee as a member of BITOG!!!

and as far as the other guy, the cracked block could have also been from putting too much water & not enough antifreeze in the motor in the winter time...I doubt it was due to Pennzoil LOL

That is sad about the guy with the 20w50...I hate people who "think they know" and are arrogant about it...that is alsmost as bad as someone who pulls out in traffic in front of you, and then blames you & flips you off as if you somehow wronged them!

The only "heavy" oil i'd use in a jeep would be 10w40 at most, MAYBE 15w40 in a 4.0L(thats pushing it). 10w30/10w40. The newer Jeeps are a far cry from the 4.0L in terms of oil diet.

Good stuff, Good stuff....I am happy to see an actual Wal-mart employee as a member of BITOG!!!

and as far as the other guy, the cracked block could have also been from putting too much water & not enough antifreeze in the motor in the winter time...I doubt it was due to Pennzoil LOL

That is sad about the guy with the 20w50...I hate people who "think they know" and are arrogant about it...that is alsmost as bad as someone who pulls out in traffic in front of you, and then blames you & flips you off as if you somehow wronged them!

Yeah Im a car guy and cant stand the thought of screwing somthing up that could easly be prevented by listen to the OEM spec instead of making it up as you go along. but what can you do when people have the big head and know everything there is to know about everthing.I know I dont know everthing thats why im here on this forum because I like to learn I want to know what the correct OCI is and what the newest greatest oil out is not to ask ppl for help shug it off and go put 20w50 in a geo metro
15.gif

Quote:
a John Deere shirt.
I feel sorry for their cars...

There's a connection???

Many of us 'John Deere' types are actually quite attuned to the wants/needs of our engines vis-a-vis lubrication..
grin2.gif

Did you remember to take a shower that day? Perhaps you ate something with garlic previously?
grin2.gif
Just kidding.

You beat me to it. I saw that two days ago and was going to post it myself. As you know I can be a bit harsh when it comes to Walmarts products!Not because I have anything against them just that I hate hype and this stuff has in the past been nothing to write home about just average to sub-average. I have 5 quarts of this I picked up for the wifes car because it was miss priced at $2.67 I think it was. I might try it in my ride though just to get some number's.

My Dad just picked some up today to put in my Mom's car. Origanaly I was going to sweeten the Walmart stuff and run it in the wifes car but now I am considering running it in my car. Since I am starting college Sept. 8th I am going to be putting a decent amount of miles on it and it will be almost entirely HWY miles. Since we have a few UOA on this site of my car it might not be a bad idea to run it and see what we see!

I have to agree that for the average person it does not pay to spend more then what PP or Synpower cost's. My family has been using my now gone stock pile of PP from Advanced Auto Parts Bogo sales on everything from vehicles to lawn mower's etc.....At $250 a quart it was two good a deal to pass up. I have been using it as well. My Dad has been using what ever is cheapest for some time now due to cash flow issues.Since his companies contracts are with GM and Ford he has not had a lot of work lately often only getting 1-2 days of work a week. This is why he decided to try Walmarts Synthetic in Mom's car. This is the first time I have ever known him to use a 5W30 but they do not carry the Walamrt Synthetic in my area in anything other then 5W30.I suggested he try Motorcraft 5W20 since her car is approved for it and it is cheaper then synthetic but he would not have none of that 5W20 stuff!!!LOL

The fact that it meets GM4718 gives me a little bit more confidence in it.

I had a guy ask me if Rain-X worked as advertised when he was picking up new wiper blades. I said yes, it did, you do have to reapply it every other month for best effect. Guy thanks me, picks up the Rain-X spray bottle, and wanders off. I idly wonder how he's faring.

Because you didn't say what he wanted to hear. And he would look like an idiot in front of his friends if he didn't have M1 in the engine. The lore of Mobil 1 is very strong with some people. LOL

Last edited:
Afew years ago I was M1 shopping and another guy ask the clerk if they had the wt. of M1 he was looking for. While the clerk was gone we struck up a conversation about M1 and he said that's all that was ever in his Chevy truck, all 447,000 miles. You meet the smartest people at WM.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Originally Posted By: Tortured_Soul
I recently had a Wal-Mart employee tell me that ST, Pennzoil, & QS were all made by the same company (pennzoil)

Super Tech full syn is the same as MAG 1. Not Pennz or Quaker.

It looks like some pretty decent stuff...

http://www.mag1.com/Products.aspx?id=ebb5aaea-7e6b-405e-90b6-33a97e640a1f

Yeah looks to be Warren's name-brand oil; I wonder if it is the exact same as the ST stuff in a different bottle?

http://www.mag1.com/AboutUs.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back