I'm DONE with "premium" oil filters

I remember when Purolator came out with the PureONE about 15 years ago. They started the war of the 'better' oil filter. 20 micron 99% efficiencies. Synthetic or Synthetic blend media, it was all new. In a world where tin can filters were $2-3, where the (edit - mod) said 96% at 40 microns was good: here was a product that seemed head and shoulders better and cost 2-3x as much.

Mobil jumped in on the game next, and came out with a 20 micron filter that they shoved more media in with deeper folded pleats. They claimed 15k miles "extended" performance. I was in love and bought that one too. Never mind paying $10-$12 for an oil filter. These filters could take out anything down to very high efficiencies.

Now the only 20 micron left is the fram ultra. But this is the orange can company and they are all getting sloppy too. The youtube cut opens are showing many brands with sloppy globs of glue, sometimes chunks of glue on the RETURN side of the media, ready to flow right into your engine and plug a tight passage.

The legendary m1 is now a 30 micro ho hum efficiency. Multiple videos cutting them open show glue slopped on the bottoms and backsides of the end caps. Gone are the crimped end pleats, they just glue the end pleats together. Mobil expects us to pay $12.71 at walmart for my rav4 2021 filter.

I saw some other companies (orange) with glue stains on the backside of the media. And some people are finding these"louvre" steel center tubes have bad stamping and the "louvre" is mostly bent shut.

So I'm now just like (edit - mod)! I"m going with Supertech MPs. They at least have a silicon drainback valve, i can stick a flashlight in and look for glue on the wrong side of the media, and you know what? I think the nylon center support cage is fine. Helps me see defects and you know what else? It doesn't need to hold 50 pounds...just a few, so its fine.

ST MPs have 30 micron 99% ratings. Thats good enough, (edit-mod) same rating M1 makes at 2.5x the price. The oil filter world doesn't seem to want to spend the extra on legit 20 micron media. The whole filter world is run by Harvard MBAs, where they LITERALLY have a case study they teach that instructs students that it is usually easier to just convince people a product is better than actually make it better. None of this is even considered unethical by these vampire training colleges. Charge more, claim more, but supply with common quality or even junk. They make a fool out of every one who wants better and is willing to pay.

Lesson for me is: buy the cheap stuff and just watch for problems. The ST MP4967 i just bought was $5.50 at wallyworld. Fram and especially Mobil: Go pound sand.

IMG_2035(Edited).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In theory, the higher efficiency should be better. The OEM (especially asian) filters haven't followed this premise. If you're so concerned with build quality go OEM, as they seem to prioritize that over efficiency. Or tough guard (look for silicone adbv) doesnt have glue on the inside... How do you get someone to pay more for a commoditized product like oil filters? Marketing. The 1% that actually cut open filters on this forum know better. I sleep pretty well using OCOD which is $3.88 on amazon since I changed at 5k anyway.

Last edited:
In theory, the higher efficiency should be better. The OEM (especially asian) filters haven't followed this premise. If you're so concerned with build quality go OEM, as they seem to prioritize that over efficiency. Or tough guard (look for silicone adbv) doesnt have glue on the inside... How do you get someone to pay more for a commoditized product like oil filters? Marketing. The 1% that actually cut open filters on this forum know better. I sleep pretty well using OCOD since I changed at 5k anyway.
Yes, the Orange XG is looking good with silicon adv and 95% @ 20 microns and steel core. The Fram "Drive" is their newest price leader. Nitrile and no actual rating i could find other than "7500 miles", with a nylon center basket.

Yeah, i like the nylon basket, i can see more of what i'm putting in my car with that.

I agree, all premium filters should be 99% at, AT 20 microns. USA made. silicone ADBV.

There seems to be different tiers of filters:
DIY price competitive cheapest possible
Jobbers for shops
some mid range offerings
top of the line filtration+milage.
boutique filters

I think once I run out of old style XG9837s for my car I may just order a few Champ XLs off Rock Auto, unless I find a good source for old stock XG/FPS9837/3675/3506 filters.
The Champ XL seems like one of the better mid grade oil filters, comparable to a Fram TG but arguably better build quality, they're what the Mobil 1 filters used to be before they screwed up and went to Mann-Hummel.

Doo, I somewhat agree with your position. WM seems to be always out of the ST filters I need for my 2 Chrysler Corp vehicles, both online and in store.....so I usually am relegated to picking a filter brand that they have in stock. Last oil change on my Durango, I opted for Purolator One filter and was shocked by the price. I had to get it at Advance Auto since WM didn't have anything in stock for it regardless of brand. Be thankful that you can get a ST filter for your vehicle.....as I am not sure how many other people have run into this same issue that I have had lately.

Doo, I somewhat agree with your position. WM seems to be always out of the ST filters I need for my 2 Chrysler Corp vehicles, both online and in store.....so I usually am relegated to picking a filter brand that they have in stock. Last oil change on my Durango, I opted for Purolator One filter and was shocked by the price. I had to get it at Advance Auto since WM didn't have anything in stock for it regardless of brand. Be thankful that you can get a ST filter for your vehicle.....as I am not sure how many other people have run into this same issue that I have had lately.
purolator boss on amazon is $23 for my vehicle, PureOne $9. Problem with amazon is i can't see the filter before buying.

Boss has a 'tougher' media and is 25 mics. PureOne is similar construction with a regular strength media at 20 mics. I would have bought this in wm, but they carry NO purolators by me. ST MP 20K miles for $5.50 at 30 mics is just fine and i can see no glue sloppiness.

Few people outside of BITOG know the difference between a $2 filter and a $10 one, and neither do they care. I just get the filter that's used by the car's manufacturer. It's often just a buck or two more than an aftermarket filter, and nobody can accuse you of being a fanboy of any particular brand.

I ran into the same problem myself today at WM. Hardly any ST filters or ST oil in stock.

Last edited:
I left the store and bought a Fram Drive FD6607 at AAP and a 5 quart jug of STP 0W20 at the AZ just down the street from AAP.
Oh, my heart just sank right there.... You deserve to just walk into wallworld, and pick up a $5 ST MP and $18.77 5 qt jug of ST 0w-20 Full Synth.

Back