I'm DONE with "premium" oil filters

When I was 17,1992, my local Mobil gas station,now gone,was my go to place. I had a 1983/84 buck century my dad gave me. The mechanic,pricey,john, was older school.he understood mechanics,but didnt understand sensors,so I was told by another mechanic he knew him,later in life. A mechanic thier, kinda looked like a Caucasian jimmy hendrix, red bushy Hendrix like hair..I asked about oil filters one day.he told me, he didn't like frams.cardboard endcaos.might leak. Best filter was oem,dealer/factory. He said, as long as you change your oil and filter every 3,000 months your good I don't know if he also said 3 month.my dad did it every 6 months. We had under 3,000 miles by then.
The mechanic also said,the efficiency didn't matter as long as you follow your oil change,the engine car will last .
So! In my oil changes,taking filters apart.I find,it does matter. Oil was black but not as thick or black with wix,Napa gold,pureone. 3,700 miles in 4 month windows.but with gram oranges,supertech,car quest blue,oil was thicker,blacker.
That's my experiences.
I remember the mechanic.dunno where he went.jimmy Hendrix looking with red hair!

Personally, I don’t bother with FUs or similar unless there’s use of an “cleaning” oil like VPBR or an in-place cleaner like HPL’s engine cleaner. All the cars I care for get OE, Wix, Champ or Fram orange/silver cans. All have hit high miles with no lubrication issues.

Is it now? It didn’t used to be.
Maybe something changed when M+H took over. Efficiency is at the bottom of their webpage. Of course, it's on their huge 30001 model filter.

1657791148315.jpg

1657791038450.png

Here are two filters that look to have some decent construction, and good efficiency and are extended life/ 10K OCI. Both are ~$10. STP Xl are at AutoZone and Microgard Select at O'Reilly. Champion Labs also makes the "ChampXL" series synthetic blend media which are also extended life. Not sure what the efficiency is, but they are available on RockAuto.

STP XL is 99% @ 20u and the Micorgard Select is 99% @ 25u. I looked at the Microgard at the local O'Reilly and looked well built. Here's some cut open videos.

Seems to be a lot of sceptics of Mann Hummel filters on this forum. Did my first oil change on a new Mercedes GLC300 SUV. Manufacturer had installed a Mann (Germany) filter as original. Official dealer replacement was the same, so I know of at least one backer still supporting Mann. Is Mann and Mann Hummel one and the same?

Oh, my heart just sank right there.... You deserve to just walk into wallworld, and pick up a $5 ST MP and $18.77 5 qt jug of ST 0w-20 Full Synth.
See that filter you are holding in your photo? It fits in the palm of your hand. There is barely enough filter paper in there for a fuel filter never mind an oil filter. Ill take the "low" 30 micron efficiency in this case. These are not traditional PH8a or PH30 sized cans.

-Ken

Seems to be a lot of sceptics of Mann Hummel filters on this forum. Did my first oil change on a new Mercedes GLC300 SUV. Manufacturer had installed a Mann (Germany) filter as original. Official dealer replacement was the same, so I know of at least one backer still supporting Mann. Is Mann and Mann Hummel one and the same?
Mann-Hummel makes alright filters in Europe and Korea, but their American operation , particularly the Purolator division, is quite lackluster.

Last edited:
Yes, the Orange XG is looking good with silicon adv and 95% @ 20 microns and steel core. The Fram "Drive" is their newest price leader. Nitrile and no actual rating i could find other than "7500 miles", with a nylon center basket.

Yeah, i like the nylon basket, i can see more of what i'm putting in my car with that.
The XG is 99% at 20 microns.

That's the entire premise of synthetic media, it's better on both fronts.
Even filters with a synthetic blend media can to both very well. The Purolator PureOne was always deemed "too restrictive" (with no actual data to prove it) because it was so efficient (99+ @ 20u). Then delta-p vs flow data from a Purolator engineer was obtained and it showed the PureOne flowed very well. Misconceptions are born and live for a very long time, if not forever it seems.

It pains me to say it, but it seems the Chinese are making well built oil filters with good looking internals. Trouble is finding the efficiency specs, for example Hengst makes some filters in China, the internals look great, but cannot find the micron ratings for them anywhere.

It pains me to say it, but it seems the Chinese are making well built oil filters with good looking internals. Trouble is finding the efficiency specs, for example Hengst makes some filters in China, the internals look great, but cannot find the micron ratings for them anywhere.
Do you have the efficiency ratings for Hengst filters made in Europe?

Back