List of oil filters with 99% efficiency at 20 microns.

What do you guys think of this review?

I have seen this before. Its nice that he cut them all apart in one place. Having said that his ratings seem wildly inconsistent.

He rates the Fram orange can the worst, indicating that at least one of the reasons is it only has a 10K mileage guarantee. He does have others admittedly.

He rates the "best" middle option as the microgard, even though it has the same mileage guarantee as the Fram. How can he use 10K mileage guarantee to bash one, but disregard it on another? I like the microgard btw - but his rating system seems fluid to say the least.

Then he rates the Supertech MP as the best value - even though the filtration rating is the worst of the bunch.

He rates the Wix XP as runner up to the best (amsoil), but first says that he has no published filtration spec for the filter. How do you rate a filter highly when you don't even know how well it filters?

I think his ratings are simply his favorites and not of much use, but it is nice to see all the filters cut open in one spot. Also it being 10 months old, a lot of these filters have changed since unfortunately.

I have seen this before. Its nice that he cut them all apart in one place. Having said that his ratings seem wildly inconsistent.

He rates the Fram orange can the worst, indicating that at least one of the reasons is it only has a 10K mileage guarantee. He does have others admittedly.

He rates the "best" middle option as the microgard, even though it has the same mileage guarantee as the Fram. How can he use 10K mileage guarantee to bash one, but disregard it on another? I like the microgard btw - but his rating system seems fluid to say the least.

Then he rates the Supertech MP as the best value - even though the filtration rating is the worst of the bunch.

He rates the Wix XP as runner up to the best (amsoil), but first says that he has no published filtration spec for the filter. How do you rate a filter highly when you don't even know how well it filters?

I think his ratings are simply his favorites and not of much use, but it is nice to see all the filters cut open in one spot. Also it being 10 months old, a lot of these filters have changed since unfortunately.
Thank you for the heads up.

If you don’t do extended drains intervals I wonder if it even matters a lot if your filter is rated 99% at 20um or 99% at 30um or whatever.

If you don’t do extended drains intervals I wonder if it even matters a lot if your filter is rated 99% at 20um or 99% at 30um or whatever.
Yes, the longer the OCI, the more need for a higher efficiency oil filter. But nobody can say for sure exactly what that requirement definition/criteria is. That's why some people may use a higher efficiency filter regardless if their OCI.

Obviously if someone changed the oil every 1,000 miles there is less cumulative volume of dirty oil circulated through the engine (and less wear potential) compared to a 10,000 mile oil change. There are only two ways to keep oil cleaner: 1) Do an oil change or 2) Filter the oil better.

If an inefficient filter is used on a long OCI, then over the OCI there would be more debris going round and round to cause wear compared to cleaner oil from using a higher efficiency filter. The level of wear is proportional to the cleanliness if the oil times how many times the oil was circulated through the engine.

Yes, the longer the OCI, the more need for a higher efficiency oil filter. But nobody can say for sure exactly what that requirement definition/criteria is. That's why some people may use a higher efficiency filter regardless if their OCI.

Obviously if someone changed the oil every 1,000 miles there is less cumulative volume of dirty oil circulated through the engine (and less wear potential) compared to a 10,000 mile oil change. There are only two ways to keep oil cleaner: 1) Do an oil change or 2) Filter the oil better.

If an inefficient filter is used on a long OCI, then over the OCI there would be more debris going round and round to cause wear compared to cleaner oil from using a higher efficiency filter. The level of wear is proportional to the cleanliness if the oil times how many times the oil was circulated through the engine.
Thank you

Back