Theoretical Justification to Use Traveller 15w-40 in my Wet Clutch MC's

Well, it looks like I won't be carrying out my test of Traveller 15W-40 in my MC's after all.

As per this thread, TSC had 5g T4 on sale, and with the rebate (that I just received), the price was $49.99 for 5 gal-- same as the sale price on Traveller 5 gal that I mentioned above.

So, given the price was the same, I went ahead and got the T4 since the JASO rating is far less in question than it would be with the Traveller (not that I really doubt that the Traveller would work-- it probably would).

Since I'm now set for a few years for MC oil, don't know if I'll ever carry out this test, but I'll continue to follow this thread should there ever be any new information.

Thanks, all, for the earlier responses provided here!

Interesting story on Warren-- I'm in Nebraska and I personally know the former President of Warren, Chuck Downey. He was President of the company from 1995 to 2021.

Charlie is an unbelievable good person. He's a very strong Christian, which usually doesn't mean all that much to me as I'm not religious at all. But in Charlie's case, it does have meaning-- he isn't religious just for show, he truly "walks the walk." I could give examples but suffice it to say that he is truly a good and honest man.

As such, I would trust my life to any product Charlie Downey was in charge of producing and thus was always a big fan of Warren products. I've not talked to him in quite a while, but I assume he retired after the Highline merger (takeover?).

While their products may still be good, now that Charlie's gone, I no longer have the inherent trust in Highline Warren products that I did with Warren products.

So, who knows how Smitty compares to Highline Warren? Everything is so fluid in the oil business! (See what I did there? :) )

Jim

Appreciated your information on Charlie Downey. I was a fan (during his years at Warren) of Warren Blended Products sold thru Walmart/SuperTech and Costco/Kirkland for both 15W-40 HDEO (for diesel engines, motorcycles, and outdoor Power equipment Engines) and 5W-30 for modern gasoline auto/truck engines). Still use the Highline-Warren blended post transition products hoping nothing has been lost after the transition. I purchase them in quantity when on sale to cover my yearly needs.

Would be great to have a private conversation with Charlie to get his thoughts if Highline Warren Blended products are still the same great oil that Warren was in the past :cool:.

Enjoy retirement and the 11 bikes. I only have 2 myself but have two local friends that each have 5 bikes. You are now my high bike owner mentor with 11. You put us to shame.

Take care

Slick

Would be great to have a private conversation with Charlie to get his thoughts if Highline Warren Blended products are still the same great oil that Warren was in the past :cool:.

I would be very surprised if I ever saw Charlie again. I only know him because I took over the position he had once held before he went to Warren. I didn't take over his position directly-- I was the 4th successor 20 years after he left.

But his wife still worked there and was my direct report for a while.

So, I didn't know him all that well, but he left quite a legacy and I worked briefly with him on a very worthy charitable program he was initiating in the lowest income area of town. Based on these factors, I did gain a huge amount of respect for him.

But now he's retired (and I believe moved away) and I'm retired so, as I said, the probability of me speaking with him again are vanishingly small.

Enjoy retirement and the 11 bikes. I only have 2 myself but have two local friends that each have 5 bikes. You are now my high bike owner mentor with 11. You put us to shame.

As I believe I mentioned somewhere in this thread, all the bikes are low mileage and in great shape, and all were bought used (usually 8-12 years old) and at very low prices (I'm a Facebook Marketplace bottom-feeder, waiting to strike when a killer deal comes up).

Average price I paid was somewhere around $2K each (+/- $1K), so the whole fleet cost less than a single KTM 1290 Super Duke.

As you can see from the list I posted, none of them are super-exciting bikes, but I sure do enjoy them myself-- they are perfect for me!

So, if I were to be a mentor about anything related to motorcycles, I think it would be for people who find enjoyment in experiencing the differences between a variety of motorcycles as opposed to just having one.

I've had great success with that and would be happy to discuss with anyone attempting to do the same!

As I believe I mentioned somewhere in this thread, all the bikes are low mileage and in great shape, and all were bought used (usually 8-12 years old) and at very low prices (I'm a Facebook Marketplace bottom-feeder, waiting to strike when a killer deal comes up).

Average price I paid was somewhere around $2K each (+/- $1K), so the whole fleet cost less than a single KTM 1290 Super Duke.

As you can see from the list I posted, none of them are super-exciting bikes, but I sure do enjoy them myself-- they are perfect for me!

So, if I were to be a mentor about anything related to motorcycles, I think it would be for people who find enjoyment in experiencing the differences between a variety of motorcycles as opposed to just having one.

I've had great success with that and would be happy to discuss with anyone attempting to do the same!
Thats my kind of bike fleet and I'm also a FB Marketplace bottom feeder so I'm with you there!🍻

Back