The Tesla Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dogememe
Has anyone compared the actual environmental impact of driving a Tesla 200K miles to driving a Camry 200K miles? Like, from r&d to manufacturing to fuel to repairs to recycling? I suspect the Tesla would be worse.

ICE cars are soooo much better nowadays, due to regulations.
Everybody knows this.

I am curious why you suspect Tesla would be worse? Just curious...

EV vs ICE? Here is one study:
EV vs ICE

As time goes by, EVs should gain ground due to long EV motor lifetime, low maintenence, etc.
Teslas are engineered with an emphasis on minimal envinronmental impact, for example "Vegan leather".
In other words, soft vinyl. I believe BMW and Mercedes Benz have pioneered this to some extent as well.

Lot's of room for improvement.

Our car's drivetrain, including battery pack, is warranteed for 8 years or 100K miles.

Million Miles?

Last edited:
Has anyone compared the actual environmental impact of driving a Tesla 200K miles to driving a Camry 200K miles? Like, from r&d to manufacturing to fuel to repairs to recycling? I suspect the Tesla would be worse.

The vast majority of Tesla's are titled in states which do not use coal/oil for power generation. On that basis alone they are significantly cleaner. The real test will be battery recycling/disposal. IIRC the EU has some regulations which mandate that the manufacturer handle the end of lifecycle cost. That's a cost adder that US EV owners do not have.

Solar is in a similar situation because damaged panels release heavy metals into the surrounding soil

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

The vast majority of Tesla's are titled in states which do not use coal/oil for power generation. On that basis alone they are significantly cleaner. The real test will be battery recycling/disposal. IIRC the EU has some regulations which mandate that the manufacturer handle the end of lifecycle cost. That's a cost adder that US EV owners do not have.

Solar is in a similar situation because damaged panels release heavy metals into the surrounding soil

In simple terms, manufacturers will ship dead batteries and solar panels to third world countries for "recycling" where whatever material that can be extracted will be, with no regards to human safety or environmental damage and the rest will be buried somewhere.

But as long as we don't see it happening, the green agenda can continue.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
A few points:
Tesla takes trade ins.
Tesla does not have car lots.
Tesla continues to ramp Model 3 production; they are targeting 10,000 cars per week.
Individuals can make up their own mind as to what is a luxury car; the market considers Tesla a luxury car.

sorry just because the price of a Model 3 is up in luxury car range does not make it a luxury car. The Model 3 is more of a Honda Civic with electric motors and batteries in place of the ICE. It gets a premium price not from luxury but from other reasons (cache, low cost of fuel, cool factor, it's acceleration). But luxury? I don't see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back