The Tesla Model 3 Was The Best-Selling Luxury Car In America Last Year 

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
http://flip.it/5CGS7L

Tesla's efforts to ramp up production of its Model 3 sedan are paying off and the vehicle surged past its competitors in the luxury car segment last year. Tesla produced a grand total of 145,846 Model 3s throughout the year and an estimated 138,000 of them were sold to U.S. customers. That made the Model 3 the best-selling luxury vehicle in the U.S. in 2018, a remarkable achievement given that EVs only made up 1.12% of total vehicle sales. Tesla said that its 2018 numbers exceeded the total sum of its sales between 2003 (when it was founded) and 2017.

Data from automotive magazine Car and Driver shows the vehicle models Tesla has left in its rear-view mirror. The Lexus RX was the runner up in the luxury car market last year with 111,641 models sold while the BMW 3 and 4 series came third with sales of 75,957 vehicles. With Audi and Porsche expected to launch new lines of electric vehicles this year, it remains to be seen if Tesla will be able to sustain its success.

Drivers hoping to purchase a Model 3 will be delighted to hear that Tesla recently cut the price of all three versions by $1,100 with the cheapest version of the car now starting at $42,900 before incentives. On Wednesday, Tesla CEO Elon Musk announced that the car could cost as little as $35,000 when $8,000 credits and fuel savings are factored in. Even though some observers criticized his statement given the varying cost of electricity, Tesla's pricing is still gradually moving in the right direction to reach its goal of an unsubsidized $35,000 starting price for the Model 3.

Screenshot_20190208-150147_Flipboard.jpg

I assume price determines that it is a "luxury" car?
Given the fit, finish, cold weather issues that the 3 is seeing, I am far from being convinced the car is a luxury car with a proven track record.
As well, Tesla's financial situation is precarious at best.
Just too many red flags for me to even consider a Tesla, and yes, I can afford one if I chose to.

Once they work through the back orders they will no longer hold onto that spot.As usual Musk is fudging the numbers. He's claiming $8,000 in credits and fuel savings. The tax credit has dropped to $3750 for the first half of 2019 and will be $1,875 for the last half. And it is doubtful there will be any "fuel" savings if you live in an area with high electricity costs. So much for being a car for the masses.......

I see a lot of these on the road. Knew they were popping them out big-time. On Danno's comments regarding "proven", remember Teslas have been in production for 7 years now. They hold up just fine. If you still doubt it, check out the results of the Munro Teardown. The skateboard scored extremely high, which is the actual high-tech major system in the Model 3. Its a winner.

Originally Posted by Sunnyinhollister
Once they work through the back orders they will no longer hold onto that spot.As usual Musk is fudging the numbers. He's claiming $8,000 in credits and fuel savings. The tax credit has dropped to $3750 for the first half of 2019 and will be $1,875 for the last half. And it is doubtful there will be any "fuel" savings if you live in an area with high electricity costs. So much for being a car for the masses.......

Tesla has already announced price reductions. There of course will be savings vs a comparatively priced gas vehicle.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
I see a lot of these on the road. Knew they were popping them out big-time. On Danno's comments regarding "proven", remember Teslas have been in production for 7 years now. They hold up just fine. If you still doubt it, check out the results of the Munro Teardown. The skateboard scored extremely high, which is the actual high-tech major system in the Model 3. Its a winner.

Let me know if that doesn't concern you about the brand.
https://teslabears.club/t/suspension-failures-the-case-for-a-recall/556/2

Originally Posted by Danno
I assume price determines that it is a "luxury" car?
Given the fit, finish, cold weather issues that the 3 is seeing, I am far from being convinced the car is a luxury car with a proven track record.
As well, Tesla's financial situation is precarious at best.
Just too many red flags for me to even consider a Tesla, and yes, I can afford one if I chose to.

Technology-wise it certain is luxury. The only system that competes with AutoPilot is Cadillac's Super Cruise. Everything else is behind. Same with the infotainment screen - that giant Tesla screen is clearly faster, more logical and easier to use than anything.

The power train is also FAR more "luxury". None of those gas powered rivals are anywhere near the smoothness and silence of electric motors.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by Sunnyinhollister

Tesla has already announced price reductions. There of course will be savings vs a comparatively priced gas vehicle.

The price reductions are still a far cry from the $35K Musk originally quoted. The savings over gas is questionable at best depending on where you live. Depending on the plan, in this area, it will cost $3 to $4+ to get a charge of 10kwh. If you drive the car under 60mph with no AC or heat you can achieve 4.5 miles/kwh. A gallon of gas around here is $2.96. Not much of a savings. Once you start going above 60 mph, turn on the heat or AC, whatever savings that might have been generated is gone. I've had a Volt, a Leaf, and now a Bolt. I do like EVs, but I also have my own solar which I got for a very good price in 2012 and I do not pay for the electricity to charge my EV.

Originally Posted by Greggy_D
I have yet to see one out in the wild.
..... due to Michigan banned Tesla sales. The dealer's association there paid off some politicians, requiring an independent dealership to sell Teslas, which Tesla won't do. Direct sales not allowed. I.E, you can't buy a Chevrolet from Chevrolet. You need a middleman to take their cut.

They have many submodels listed separately. They are all luxury models. It seems to me Tesla output in total has to be compared to Mercedes, Lexus, BMW etc totals. Not sure this chart means anything.

One problem with this whole article.....the Model 3 is NOT a luxury car except in it's price. Sorry but the Model 3, IMHO is equivalent to a Honda Civic. It's probably a nice car but surely does not reach the status of a 45K Lexus or Audi.

I rode in one and they drive very nice. People comparing model 3 to a Civic are most likely doing it from looking at pictures or videos.
The interior is very simplistic looking and the materials don't scream super luxury, but they are not the cheapest ones like in a Prius either.

But the ride quality is something else, very luxury like. Acceleration and road manners are also up there.

The Model 3 is a luxury car. And from a technology standpoint; there is nothing like it.
The amazing thing about the sales numbers is, most were sold late in the year after they opened the 2 huge assembly tents.
Musk admitted his decision to use robotics was wrong.
They ramped up to 5,000 cars per week; I believe they hit the 6,000 cars per week.

The fit and finish on our car is amazing.
It amazes me how many people bad rap Musk and Tesla.
It is an American success story.

Not sure that I'd position the Model 3 as a luxury car In anything other than what Tesla calls it and the selling prices.
There are so many compelling cars in the 50-60K price range that with cheap gas and expensive electricity in most of our country I can't see much potential for this car.
At the originally promised 35K, it would be a whole new ballgame.
At current prices, this car makes no sense.
Not that much tech in it either. Any current hybrid is far more advanced technically.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
I rode in one and they drive very nice. People comparing model 3 to a Civic are most likely doing it from looking at pictures or videos.
The interior is very simplistic looking and the materials don't scream super luxury, but they are not the cheapest ones like in a Prius either.

But the ride quality is something else, very luxury like. Acceleration and road manners are also up there.

agree somewhat....but the Civic is a 20-25k car.....and the Model 3 runs what....45k?

"Any current hybrid is far more advanced technically."

Friend, there is no car like the Model 3.
Go check one out; this thing is the future.
It is way more than electric.

I guess I wonder why you do not think it isn't a luxury car; it is fabulous.
It is also really faaaaast.

The $35K car makes up half of the 400K reservations.
Will there ever really be one without rebates? Dunno, not so far.

Originally Posted by philipp10
Originally Posted by KrisZ

agree somewhat....but the Civic is a 20-25k car.....and the Model 3 runs what....45k?

Ours was $62K out the door, with CA tax and license.
Not cheap.
Take off the $7,500 Fed Tax Credit and PGE, but still not cheap.

And if we got the AWD Long Range, it was $7K more as I recall.

20181220_093250 (1).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back