Tesla Model S outsells S-Class, Panamera, BMW 6/7

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
https://electrek.co/2017/05/26/tesls-model-s-leading-us-large-luxury-segment/

From Link above:
"...Tesla shocked the industry last year when it confirmed having delivered 25,202 Model S sedans in the U.S. in 2015, which gave the company a 25% market share in the premium sedan market.

We used car sales data from Good Car Bad Car and new car registration data from IHS Markit (via Bloomberg) to visualize the current segment for the first quarter 2017...

It means that Tesla’s Model S so far outsells Mercedes S-Class, Porsche Panamera, and BMW 6/7 Series combined in the US in 2017.

There has been some controversy over whether or not the Model S should be considered a ‘large sedan’, but the EPA defines the segment as vehicles with 120 ft³ or more of combined passenger and cargo interior volume, which is exactly Tesla’s interior volume.

Therefore, it should technically fit the description – though barely admittedly..."

I'm not particularly surprised by the report. Tesla's problem won't be becoming the darling of buyers seeking electric cars at their price point. It will reveal itself sometime in the future ... how they can maintain their lead (unlikely) or stay in the game as a viable alternative (possible, but difficult) when the industry catches up in, probably, less than five years.

The world is fill of the Apples (who managed to bounce back, but not based on their once leading computers) and Palms (who dominated what is now a smartphone / tablet market) and Blackberrys (who invented the smartphone, then failed to adapt) and Nokias (everyone owned one, if you are old enough to have had a cellphone 20 years ago).

That is a fairly tech-heavy list, but Tesla is not a car company, they are a tech company. The car guys will be fighting back, very soon.

To Tesla's credit and the automaker's shame, car companies have generally speaking been very bad at tech. But they won't be for long as they have learned their lesson, they now put that job to the third party suppliers.

An illustrative example is Harmon International, who no longer just make audio but instead supply in-house developed full integration tech .. the stereo, the steering wheel controls, the anti-theft system, the "body computer" and the non-engine system bus entirely. Who the world's car makers turn to isn't yet clear, but they will turn to someone who understands the needs better than they do.

Research In Motion (formerly Blackberry) are in there as well, their QNX Operating System (OS) software drives many current automotive computing platforms.

The Model S P100D is the only new car that interests me at all. 0-60 in 2.5 seconds on full charge is way quick. And they are roomy
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
The Model S P100D is the only new car that interests me at all. 0-60 in 2.5 seconds on full charge is way quick. And they are roomy
smile.gif

The P100D's are bad to the bone for sure. Pretty price tag also. There is a Tesla dealer next to my work so I get to see them all day.

Wow. And I keep hearing about Tesla's impending doom. Sounds like the customers aren't buying those stories, but buying Teslas instead.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Wow. And I keep hearing about Tesla's impending doom. Sounds like the customers aren't buying those stories, but buying Teslas instead.

They are a one man show. Once the other car makers switch over to electric cars the market is flooded with many choices and coveted car jewelry like BMW and MB.

My viewpoint is that much of Tesla's popularity is because they are "different" at the moment and selling because it is trendy. Like others have mentioned, once the other car makers catch up with true electric models of their own, Tesla will not be such a shiny penny anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back