The polar vortex is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last winter was the longest/coldest one we've had in over 30 years. With my cars parked in an unheated attached garage, I experimented with something different. I put one of these on the front seat floor:

http://www.laskoproducts.com/oscillating-ceramic-heater-model-5409/

and passed an extension cord into the car and plugged it in...usually about 3-4 hours before I intended to depart. Worked pretty well. Got the interior of the car toasty warm no matter how cold it was and cleared the glass of any leftover ice/snow and most of the car too. Had to remember to disconnect it before driving away, but that's a minor point. Heats the dash real well...maybe helps the door locks too. No downside yet.

Originally Posted By: GrtArtiste
Last winter was the longest/coldest one we've had in over 30 years. With my cars parked in an unheated attached garage, I experimented with something different. I put one of these on the front seat floor:

http://www.laskoproducts.com/oscillating-ceramic-heater-model-5409/

and passed an extension cord into the car and plugged it in...usually about 3-4 hours before I intended to depart. Worked pretty well. Got the interior of the car toasty warm no matter how cold it was and cleared the glass of any leftover ice/snow and most of the car too. Had to remember to disconnect it before driving away, but that's a minor point. Heats the dash real well...maybe helps the door locks too. No downside yet.

I use a Delongi oil filled electric radiator in my van to keep paint from freezing instead of schlepping it in on cold nights. I have no fears of it catching fire. No problems scraping ice off windows or with snow removal. As you mentioned everything is nice and warm when I'm ready to drive.

The only downside is it would be a little big for putting into a car, but for my van or an SUV it is perfect.

Yeah, it's been the same general pattern for awhile.

Maybe we can freeze the Great Lakes completely over. We only made it to 98% last year.

Then we'll keep being told how warm it is.
smirk.gif

Whatever side you fall on (global warming or global Non sense) one thing is for sure:

What are you going to do about it?!

Just prepare yourself and enjoy life. Cripes...

Last edited:
I'd rather contend with a cold winter than a warm one. Warm winter weather brings constant freeze/thaw cycles that make for some icy roadways. Warm snaps also bring in the possibility of freezing rain, typically at night. I'd also rather contend with cold snow where there is grip, than slush with wet ice underneath.

If there is a polar vortex, I hope it passes through my way.

Local meteorologists in our region say that it is unlikely to have a repeat of last winter. I'm about 2 hours north of Detroit, about same distance from Buffalo.

Americans will pretty much blame Canada for just about everything including their bad weather, lol
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

Didn't cha know, this is really a (certain type of) political site with a car/oil problem??
crackmeup2.gif

That's really it in a nutshell...
Hardly anyone disputes NASA landed us on the moon but once they mention climate change all of a sudden they're idiots.

Well, of course the two are not connected, and the NASA of 2014 is quite a different place than it was in 1969. They had a purpose and a mandate then, and were focused on one goal. Today? It's about funding and justifying your existence.

They're not idiots, that's not the problem.

Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
Hardly anyone disputes NASA landed us on the moon but once they mention climate change all of a sudden they're idiots.

Forecast by the same folks that have a 50/50 accuracy rating on the 7 day forecast.

It's pretty clear the original poster isn't all that old, otherwise he'd realize that there have been plenty of winters that are cold-just as cold as last year. Some are colder than others, some are warmer than others.

I too can make some predictions.

I predict that winter will bring snow to some parts of the country. There will be a few areas that have colder than average temperatures, and some that have warmer than average temperatures. Most areas will be in the normal range.

I also predict that there will be a blizzard or two, and people from the weather channel will be standing out in the snowstorm claiming it's one of the worst they've ever seen. People will watch them on television and mindlessly nod their heads in agreement.

I predict that people in areas that are experiencing colder than average temperatures will look fervently around, make the hex sign, and in hushed voices utter the words "polar vortex". I also predict that people in areas that are warmer than average will scoff at the people in the colder areas.

All in all, pretty normal.

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Thats pretty funny OneEyeJack. Down here in the deep South last year we had several snowstorms, ice fiascos and temps down in single digits for quite a few days. Needless to say this area had all kind of broken pipes, accidents, etc due to the winter. I certainly hope we do not have a repeat of last year.

Yup, I was in NC and VA last winter and it was by far the coldest in my 26 years in this area. Homes, people, and our transportation departments are not made for anything but 1" and 50 degrees the next day
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
Originally Posted By: dailydriver

Didn't cha know, this is really a (certain type of) political site with a car/oil problem??
crackmeup2.gif

How many people made billions and countries had their economies damaged by the moon landing? LOL

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Forecast by the same folks that have a 50/50 accuracy rating on the 7 day forecast.

It's pretty clear the original poster isn't all that old, otherwise he'd realize that there have been plenty of winters that are cold-just as cold as last year. Some are colder than others, some are warmer than others.

I too can make some predictions.

I predict that winter will bring snow to some parts of the country. There will be a few areas that have colder than average temperatures, and some that have warmer than average temperatures. Most areas will be in the normal range.

I also predict that there will be a blizzard or two, and people from the weather channel will be standing out in the snowstorm claiming it's one of the worst they've ever seen. People will watch them on television and mindlessly nod their heads in agreement.

I predict that people in areas that are experiencing colder than average temperatures will look fervently around, make the hex sign, and in hushed voices utter the words "polar vortex". I also predict that people in areas that are warmer than average will scoff at the people in the colder areas.

All in all, pretty normal.

Too true. It's almost as if winter weather is somehow new every year.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
From everything I've read, this will be the repeat weather pattern this winter as the polar vortex sets up around Hudson Bay similar to last winter, with the jet stream coming from northwest Canada to the southeast US and storms riding it one after another.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/polar-vortex-to-vist-central-u/36890008

We're talking the next few days here, not the entire winter. El Nino will probably result in a mild one overall...

The Polar Vortex is simply the subject of the OP's news item because that's the term for what's happening. You can call the weather-related results of that whatever you like, and if you're properly prepared for the results, even better, the rest of the world can relax.

Looks like a bit of lake-effect possible here. Got the cars prepped, the windows caulked, furnace fired up, and snowblower ready to clear snow.

Just another winter...

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: Guitarmageddon
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Polar Vortex = the latest term for winter cold snap.

Hahah agreed.

Just another word liberals ginned up to explain....well.....explain no problem at all. Gotta stay relevant I suppose though....

Maybe its because cory gardner banned birth control....and wierded our weather?

[censored] are you talking about? No, it's not liberals who point out weather phenomena like this, it's mostly anti-global warming advocates like Joe Bastaardi and John Coleman who I agree with.

Why are you bringing up condoms? Dimentia???

I lost a lot of respect for Bastaardi. I used to follow him when I was traveling to upstate NY frequently. He sold out.

He's also not a climatologist. You'd be surprised how many people that have a really cold winter think that means there is no global warming. LOL. The world revolves around them.

What I do find interesting is the recent sun activity and space weather. I'm not sure how all of those variables factor into their models. What I do know is 97% of climatologists believe there is man made warming. It is up to the opposition to prove them wrong, not the other way around.

The claim of 97% of climatologists believe there is man made warming is questionable.
The truth is there were a few now disgraced agenda driven so called scientist that phonied up some data.

Their own emails exposed them. There may well be some global warming but i don't believe its man made either, we should not pass laws and endanger the economy based on agenda driven opinion and not based on science.
The science didn't support their claims so the reworked the data, that is probably the only thing that has been proven.

Questioning man made global warming is not selling out it is using common sense. these people have proven themselves capable of distorting data to suit themselves.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303480304579578462813553136

49.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back