It's going to get colder!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been looking at the weather models and over the next week, it looks like this arctic outbreak might intensify and even colder weather will plunge into the upper midwest into the mid south. The jest stream is solidly locked into an omega block with a huge ridge of high pressure over the west coast and a large Hudson Bay upper low over.............the Hudson Bay. That in turn means the jest stream goes from northwest Canada towards the upper midwest USA and smaller scale storm systems just keep pulling the arctic air near the north pole down south as they ride the jest stream.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/01/21/senior-meteorologist-on-extended-usa-cold-blast-wow-f-ing-wow/

Last edited:
Special11.png

We seem to be missing out on all of the heavy snow this year.

But it's cold for sure.

National Grid got in trouble for price gouging electricity rates.

Now that I'm almost 50 lbs lighter I'm much colder all the time. Less insulation but at least I won't be as miserable when it's hot in the summer time.

Wow...up here we are experiencing yet another non-winter. For the past week it has been well above freezing. I am pondering taking off my winter tires due to lack of snow. Again for the 3rd year in a row.

Translation for those that are uninformed about Canada: My winter igloo melted and I had to put wheels on my dogsled...
crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
The bad stuff in China floating to CA coast concerns me. Common sense may not be so common today but maybe it never was.

I remember the neighbor who used old used motor oil on his driveway for dust control. Some road departments did the same.

'Plagued with a dust problem in the early 1970s due to its 23 miles (37 km) of dirt roads and lack of pavement funds, the city of Times Beach hired waste hauler Russell Bliss to oil the roads in and around the town in 1971.[2] From 1972 to 1976, Bliss sprayed waste oil on the roads at a cost of six cents per gallon used.'

A Real Motor Oil Story

Originally Posted By: GaleHawkins
The bad stuff in China floating to CA coast concerns me. Common sense may not be so common today but maybe it never was.

I remember the neighbor who used old used motor oil on his driveway for dust control. Some road departments did the same.

'Plagued with a dust problem in the early 1970s due to its 23 miles (37 km) of dirt roads and lack of pavement funds, the city of Times Beach hired waste hauler Russell Bliss to oil the roads in and around the town in 1971.[2] From 1972 to 1976, Bliss sprayed waste oil on the roads at a cost of six cents per gallon used.'

A Real Motor Oil

Story

I wonder what "oil spray intervals" were used to keep a well maintained dirt road?

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Now that I'm almost 50 lbs lighter I'm much colder all the time. Less insulation but at least I won't be as miserable when it's hot in the summer time.

Also, less chance of a heart attack/stroke when shoveling 10 feet of the white stuff, IF you actually shovel and don't just use a machine.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Donald
Its all relative. Let me know when its approaching -273K. Then I will consider it very cold.

Yes, absolute zero is quite deadly to any/everything, NO MATTER how prepared/insulated/etc. one is.
eek.gif

I just looked at long range forecasts for this area, and it appears that you're right.
Depending upon what happens when, we may end up with an ice storm over the weekend.
A half foot of snow beats half an inch of ice in terms of getting out and around.
A half an inch of ice followed with temperatures too cold to melt it would be quite unplesant.
We appear to be looking at a number of below zero mornings over the next couple of weeks.
We've already had plenty of below zero mornings this winter, although no real snows. I think 5" is the most we've seen at any one time.
Last winter was pretty mild and the one before that could hardly be dignified with the term "winter".
Looks like we got a real winter this time, although without the heavy snows we've sometimes seen.
Only about another four weeks of this stuff to go, though.
By March, things ease up considerably, although we occassionally see a good snowstorm in March.
In 2012, I actually had to cut the grass the third week in March.
I doubt that'll happen this year.

What part of no global warming discussions do people not get? 7 days vacation if it comes up again.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Its all relative. Let me know when its approaching -273K. Then I will consider it very cold.

Yes, absolute zero is quite deadly to any/everything, NO MATTER how prepared/insulated/etc. one is.
eek.gif

-273 K isn't absolute zero. That would be -273°C. At -273 K Donald needs to replace the frozen batteries in his calculator.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
Originally Posted By: dailydriver

eek.gif

-273 K isn't absolute zero. That would be -273°C. At -273 K Donald needs to replace the frozen batteries in his calculator.

lol.gif
^^^

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
What part of no global warming discussions do people not get? 7 days vacation if it comes up again.

21.gif

It is a discussion based on science not politics, sex, race, etc...? Don't get that but whatever you say... I brought it up 1st so I guess I am to blame for breaking a rule I didn't know about.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back