Winter 2011-2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mongo161
The Official Farmers Almanac, IMO, still give an accurate weather forecast for regions of the country.

Now that's funny, since every research paper I've read on the Old Farmers Almanac puts their accuracy rating at about 20% or less. The research to which I refer was done by Penn State, Golden Gate Weather Services and Iowa State University.

The Almanac’s perceived success can be attributed to its practice of making weather pattern generalizations for large geographic regions rather than specific predictions. Somewhere in that large geographic area they'll probably come close, and they measure that as an accurate forecast for the entire region.

Throw a dart enough times, and if the dart board is large enough you're sure to hit it on occasion no matter how poor your aim might be. And there will probably be someone watching who will consider your aim to be accurate.

Originally Posted By: lars11
so, is it global warming or colder winters? Can it be both?

Or, warm summers and cold winters? In that case the sports guy in me likes the "new" weather...

Anyways, does not seem to get any warmer where I live, rather colder or neutral.

The theory behind global warming indicates more extremes during your seasons...summers get hotter and winters get colder.

We are coming out of an ice age folks, what do you expect?

Originally Posted By: deeter16317
We are coming out of an ice age folks, what do you expect?

Exactly!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back