Winter 2011-2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Exacta Weather:

US Long Range Winter Weather Forecast 2011-2012

The coldest winter in 30 years was recorded across many parts of the US during the 2010-2011 winter. Eastern parts of the US plunged to a record -50F with the Northeast of the US also seeing records broken. Temperatures was also largely below normal averages for New York, Chicago, New Orleans, and Minneapolis. Snowstorms shattered New York City in December 2010 and January 2011 to become the snowiest January ever recorded.

So let's turn to the US winter of 2011/2012.

La Niña cools the equatorial seas of the Pacific and was one of the strongest on record during 2010/2011. Less warm air rises during La Niña conditions with a cooling influence on the atmosphere that has big implications on global climate and global weather patterns. The changes in global weather patterns come from air pressure changes in atmospheric cycles called the North Atlantic Oscillation (NOA) and Arctic Oscillation (AO).

The latest National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) update suggests neutral conditions ahead, but a negative Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO) may yet suggest otherwise. The PDO is a pattern of Pacific climate variance that recently switched to negative (cold) and will remain that way for the next two to three decades. It is likely that La Niña will return more frequently during this time period as a negative PDO results in stronger La Niña (cooling) and weaker El Niño (warming) episodes.

Low solar activity is also a primary driver of atmospheric cycles that influence blocking activity patterns/ridges.

Our weather models consider all of these factors and are currently showing a particularly harsh winter for many parts of the US during 2011-2012. Large parts of Central and North America will face prolonged periods of below average temperatures with above average snowfall throughout this winter, with many Eastern and Western parts also facing periods of below average temperatures with above average snowfall amounts.

We expect North America and the Pacific Northwest region to experience a very severe winter, the Cascades snowpack is likely to see increased levels due to the negative (cold) phase of PDO. Our weather models are also showing an increased likelihood for major snow events in Northeastern and Midwestern parts of the US throughout December 2011 and January 2012, that could see severe blizzard conditions hit New York City and Chicago.

With low solar activity levels, changes to the Gulf Stream, the negative Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO), and the general trend for a much colder winter after the onset of last year's La Niña, this winter could prove to be a record breaker with extremely cold temperatures and exceptional levels of snow for many parts of the US.

--Might be good time to tune up that snowblower. Anyone know of an "early bird" sale?

Originally Posted By: tig1
Does all that mean we should all change to 0-20?

laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
Does all that mean we should all change to 0-20?

Haha yea...

good more snow for me!!

The forecasted increase in the Pacific NW snowpack sounds excellent to us folks who expect to benefit from it, i.e. nearly everybody in British Columbia, Oregon, & Washington....bring it on!

Glad the Honda has snows already, and going to get snows for whatever new car I get. Saving the pennies for the season pass to the local ski area, and block heaters for the cars. Debating if I want to spring for a snowblower or not...

Originally Posted By: WagonBoss
From Exacta Weather:

Yeah, right. This comes from the same folks that can't get a 3 day forecast correct?

I think you'd have the same chance at an accurate long term forecast by watching the woolly bears or deciphering chicken poo.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I think you'd have the same chance at an accurate long term forecast by watching the woolly bears or deciphering chicken poo.

I've lived in every climate zone of the U.S. in my lifetime...never have the wooly worms failed to accurately forecast the approaching winter (except in Hawaii...didn't observe any woolies there).

As to the chicken products, when I noted frozen chicken carcasses in the snow of my grandparent's Indiana barnyard in April, I knew we were in for a late spring.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
YEEEEEHAW!

Love the outlook. This summer has been too [censored] hot and rainy. Bring on the snow!

I don't mind snow.
It is fun to drive through.
I'll take hot and humid any day of the week over bitter cold, however.
Summer beats winter any time, IMHO.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
The Official Farmers Almanac, IMO, still give an accurate weather forecast for regions of the country.

Which reminds me to get a copy soon.....

Of course it's going to be correct for SOME regions of the country--how could they miss?

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: WagonBoss
From Exacta Weather:

Yeah, right. This comes from the same folks that can't get a 3 day forecast correct?

01.gif

AMEN! Predicting December and January weather in the middle of summer is crazy. As you said they can't even get Friday's weather right on Tuesday.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: scurvy
YEEEEEHAW!

Love the outlook. This summer has been too [censored] hot and rainy. Bring on the snow!

I don't mind snow.
It is fun to drive through.
I'll take hot and humid any day of the week over bitter cold, however.
Summer beats winter any time, IMHO.

Our Penn Dot crew`s are out plowing at the first flake! But no where to be seen when fixing the roads are concerned!
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
AMEN! Predicting December and January weather in the middle of summer is crazy. As you said they can't even get Friday's weather right on Tuesday.

YOU SAID IT ! 30% chance of rain all day [censored] is that???.. so i cant ride my bike to work ? not a cloud in the sky, mid day, not a cloud, late afternoon, A few scattered clouds but mostly sunny.. 40% chance of rain ??, same as before only a few clouds.. almost never rains.. I truly start paying attention when they say 50% or better, then its like.. ok they might be on to something.. i swear there all laughing at us.. those idiots are paying attention.. we have a pool in the weather room taking bets, gambling, the winner gets to make up a forecast.. there's one person in a room with a degree.. scratching there head trying to decide whats up.. ahh the %%%%% game.. that way i can cover my [censored]

Last edited by a moderator:
so, is it global warming or colder winters? Can it be both?

Or, warm summers and cold winters? In that case the sports guy in me likes the "new" weather...

Anyways, does not seem to get any warmer where I live, rather colder or neutral.

while I take this forecast with a grain of salt... we had one snow last winter that piled up so much (because of wind) that we had to shovel most of it so that the plow could get in to do the parking lot. He came by and said "I can't plow that" and left, and me and 4 65-85 year old ladies (plus a few random neighbors) shoveled it out.

I would be happy if that doesn't happen again, and a forecast that says severe blizzards for Chicago does not make me happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back