frustrated about lifespan of common electronics

I hear that wife has tiny "earholes" so even the smallest tip doesnt fit well (painful)
I gave her my never used pair of "samsung buds live" and shes on her 2nd set of those.. they dont go in that far.

I have tried about 5-6 but they either dont work as single buds or have odd issues.. the regular buds2 are my current set and about ready for a new set.
AH ... yes, my wife I gave for a present one year AirPods Pro, works well for her, same reasons, many hurt her ears. The Samsung Buds Live sound like a similar concept.

I wish I had more options. I am tempted to try the BEATS FIT PRO. Years back, same issue with the standard "new" beats at the time before the pros called the Studio Buds. The Pro now have some small "wings" on them.
I also back then tried the Power Beats Pro because they have ear hooks. They came close in fit but once again, my left ear would loosen up after a while and lose sound quality.

I loved the Studio Buds at the time but returned because of the fit. I loved the Power Beats Pro's too and even using them on phone conversations was awesome, but again, the fit for the price I was paying just didnt quite cut it.
Im tempted to try the Beats Fit Pro and even the Power Beats Pro again, so turned off by the Bose issue.
I also have over the ear Bose QC 45 that I still have to unpack and I better do that soon as I think they maybe still under warranty.

Bottom line, its been a long time now but I if I had to put everything I tried together and comment about sound and quality feel I think I would say I like the Beats products the most. (trust me, I was never a beats fan before this) Next for comfort would be Bose for sure. now if they just didnt fail all the time from what I read. The Bose app is terrible too, jack of all trades.

I hear that wife has tiny "earholes" so even the smallest tip doesnt fit well (painful)
I gave her my never used pair of "samsung buds live" and shes on her 2nd set of those.. they dont go in that far.

I have tried about 5-6 but they either dont work as single buds or have odd issues.. the regular buds2 are my current set and about ready for a new set.
UPDATE - OMG, Bose is sending me a pair with their latest QC Earbuds at no cost to me. Currently they are $299 on Amazon
I did all their online trouble shooting regarding red and blue flashing lights. After three attempts of different types of instructions a prompt came up and said congratulations you will get a new set of earbuds.
They sent me a free prepaid UPS label to return and once they received will send out the new ones. I even got to pick the color.

I am sooooo impressed. Yeah, ok, I get it, it must be a known issue and mine were hardly used. But I DIDNT even have to talk to a human, it was all online. Im very excited because these new ones are supposed to be really nice according to reviews.

Ok, well, off to UPS I go. Im very impressed by them standing behind their product. WOW. They certainly just took a big step to a life long customer and proponent.

Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 1.22.54 PM.png

Except zoom.

Also, depending on how much HD/UHD footage you want to capture, storage space on your phone may become an issue.

True, but even there the gap is closing. A quick search shows the camcorder in the OP has a 26x optical zoom, my phone has 5x optical zoom and a SD card slot that will hold quite a bit of storage space.

yesterday I took the camcorder out for a short capture of something I am working on. The unit is a Panasonic HDC-TM90, does the 1080 recording. I bought it likely in 2011 to 2012 time frame, don't really remember. The screen flickered and later on went blank.

Come to think of it... over the last 25 years or so, I have owned 8mm tape camcorders, 4mm tape camcorder, and this Panasonic digital, as well as many point and shot digital cameras. All of them died out of normal use, no abuses whatsoever.

Yes, it has been many years of use. but I still feel quite frustrated. Sorry for the negative energy. These things are not really repairable or worth a repair.
Add TV sets as well. Old things don't have to die, but they die anyway. Ugh!
Not using something is worse than frequent use.......IMHO.

Should I be upset Google stopped supporting/patching/updating my $24 Chromecast bought in Jul 2013?

My 17 yo daughter still uses it every other day for streaming to my 2010 Sony Bravia 40” we mounted in her room.

I find electronics generally last.

planned obsolescence
Yes and no. Technology has advanced at such a quick rate people for the most part want the newest and greatest or close to it. When sd and xcsd memory became cheap why have a second device when a cell phone can capture and store hours of video.

I've had terrible luck with Sony. If it's Sony, it's baloney.

I purchased a new Sony CFD-D77 boom box ($$$$) and it was defective out of the box (CD player would skip). I returned three of them before getting a good one. This one lasted about 3 months before it started skipping. No alternative but to have this one repaired. The local authorized Sony repair station (Toyo Electronics in Palo Alto, CA) had to sent it back to Japan and I didn't see it for 3 months. When it was returned, it lasted another 3 months before it started skipping again. I gave up.

I purchased a new Sony XR-77 stereo cassette deck for the car. After about a year, the left channel would go dead after listening to FM for ~10 minutes. The only way to get the channel to come back was to flip the selector between FM and AM several times. I sold the car ('74 Camaro) and the Sony went with it.

I had a new 12" Sony color TV in college. It had a push button tuner. There were only two over the air stations in Butte, MT so the top two buttons were set to these. When I moved back to CA, I went to set the tuner to the local stations and only 4/12 of the buttons worked. Pretty poor for having zero mileage on them. I used the TV as a monitor for my Commodore 64 for a while before throwing it overboard as e-waste.

I've had more than a few Walkman players that have died. Oddly, I have an original Walkman WM-1 that still works perfectly.

yesterday I took the camcorder out for a short capture of something I am working on. The unit is a Panasonic HDC-TM90, does the 1080 recording. I bought it likely in 2011 to 2012 time frame, don't really remember. The screen flickered and later on went blank.

Come to think of it... over the last 25 years or so, I have owned 8mm tape camcorders, 4mm tape camcorder, and this Panasonic digital, as well as many point and shot digital cameras. All of them died out of normal use, no abuses whatsoever.

Yes, it has been many years of use. but I still feel quite frustrated. Sorry for the negative energy. These things are not really repairable or worth a repair.
Add TV sets as well. Old things don't have to die, but they die anyway. Ugh!
My friend has a Frigidaire in his garage that was made in 1949. Not only is it still running, it still makes the coldest beer around; one where your first mouthful is more slushie than cold beer.

Nobody wastes time on things that will last when the entire house of cards is perched on eternal consumerism.

UPDATE - OMG, Bose is sending me a pair with their latest QC Earbuds at no cost to me. Currently they are $299 on Amazon
I did all their online trouble shooting regarding red and blue flashing lights. After three attempts of different types of instructions a prompt came up and said congratulations you will get a new set of earbuds.
They sent me a free prepaid UPS label to return and once they received will send out the new ones. I even got to pick the color.

I am sooooo impressed. Yeah, ok, I get it, it must be a known issue and mine were hardly used. But I DIDNT even have to talk to a human, it was all online. Im very excited because these new ones are supposed to be really nice according to reviews.

Ok, well, off to UPS I go. Im very impressed by them standing behind their product. WOW. They certainly just took a big step to a life long customer and proponent.

View attachment 178169

The stores have always honored warranties live with me.
I walk into a mall store with a broken Bose this or that and walk out with a new one.
Getting it done remotely is even better. Congrats.

Back