The Mazda CX90. New commercial teasers and updates.

It was a 1st gen V6, coolant mixed with oil and destroyed the engine. I don't know the details of the transmission failure.
That was the dreaded Ford transverse 3.5/3.7. The WP was internal for transverse applications, so when it leaked, coolant went into the sump. It was a triumph for the accountants over the engineers.

It was a 1st gen V6, coolant mixed with oil and destroyed the engine. I don't know the details of the transmission failure.
Yeah, I figured as much.
The only thing the same between your friend's CX-9, and the CX-9 that's been on sale since 2017 is the name.
No more Ford drivetrain parts.

Mazda USA has the new CX90 on their website now with all the options available including some new colors both exterior and interior. Pricing is also included.

That’s not the greatest “build your own Mazda” website………..

And I love how the MPG is “TBD!”

What’s that? “Too Bad to Display?”

C’mon, Mazda!

Grand Highlander was just released. I like the looks of the Mazda better, and I’ve never been a Toyota fan, but that aside I think the Grand Highlander would suit the active family a bit better. I certainly had to put looks aside when we went with buying this Palisade (that just so happens to be in the shop again for an unresolved vibration it’s had since new). Drove a new RAV4 home as a loaner, really un-impressive.

That’s not the greatest “build your own Mazda” website………..

And I love how the MPG is “TBD!”

What’s that? “Too Bad to Display?”

C’mon, Mazda!

I agree it does seem complicated. Maybe the swipe to choose a trim is to blame? I’m actually surprised at the number of trims.

I agree it does seem complicated. Maybe the swipe to choose a trim is to blame? I’m actually surprised at the number of trims.
Base model pricing stays similar to CX-9 ($40k), which I thought was good. Price quickly goes up with trim levels though. Should be a nice vehicle.

Are they going to be made in Japan or Alabama?

Were i in the market for such a vehicle it would defiantly be on my list. Mazda can build some enthusiast focused vehicle when they put their mind to it and an inline 6 has the right DNA.

I hate that leather is forced on all "luxury" cars/trucks/suv though, and i agree that build it site is not good.

I think they might have underpriced this vehicle. Again who is running the company, and whats their end goal here?

I think they might have underpriced this vehicle. Again who is running the company, and whats their end goal here?

The price range is fairly wide, basically from $40k to $60k. Their end goal mimics Toyota somewhat from what I can tell. Hybrids for now with one BEV available at the moment but more are in the plans.

I just got slightly used Atlas, and than saw Maxda CX-90, and was like: oh, I really screwed up, considering inline 6.
Now, I see that they completely missed the market. For 50k, you are getting Honda Pilot, and VW Atlas SEL Premium, and they can haul a serious number of people comfortably.
No one will cross-shop X5, GLE or Q7 with CX-90.
We have a 2019 Q5 and would seriously consider a Mazda when the time comes. Hopefully it will be more reliable than the Germans which shouldnt be out of the question. The CX-5 although a great car is a little to small for us. I would consider the CX-90 or CX-70(when it arrives) when the time comes. I do most of the maintenance on it myself but as I get older not sure if I want to and will not pay the ridiculous service charges the Germans charge.

We have a 2019 Q5 and would seriously consider a Mazda when the time comes. Hopefully it will be more reliable than the Germans which shouldnt be out of the question. The CX-5 although a great car is a little to small for us. I would consider the CX-90 or CX-70(when it arrives) when the time comes. I do most of the maintenance on it myself but as I get older not sure if I want to and will not pay the ridiculous service charges the Germans charge.

The CX-70 will be the two row version of the CX-90. It will have the inline six as well. For comparison you can look up YouTube reviews for the CX-60 which will be comparable. The CX-70 is supposedly wider than the 60.

The price range is fairly wide, basically from $40k to $60k. Their end goal mimics Toyota somewhat from what I can tell. Hybrids for now with one BEV available at the moment but more are in the plans.
Their end goal is all over the place, but their drive is commendable.

-Shows up TMC by launching an inhouse developed inline 6 motor
-Material quality at first look seems worlds better then before and bordering luxury rivals
-Toyota has a loyal following, I doubt many switch over. The real hurt I guess might be Luxury rivals from Acura to BMW land who were used to cheap leases, finding out they no longer are cheap, so give this a try.
-Interior volume has always been a concern, and until I check it out, I'll hold my peace.
-Again I guess they want the price tag to be attractive from the start so zero reason to incentivize. I wish them all the success for really pushing the limit and not kneeling to the accountants onboard.

Their end goal is all over the place, but their drive is commendable.

-Shows up TMC by launching an inhouse developed inline 6 motor
-Material quality at first look seems worlds better then before and bordering luxury rivals
-Toyota has a loyal following, I doubt many switch over. The real hurt I guess might be Luxury rivals from Acura to BMW land who were used to cheap leases, finding out they no longer are cheap, so give this a try.
-Interior volume has always been a concern, and until I check it out, I'll hold my peace.
-Again I guess they want the price tag to be attractive from the start so zero reason to incentivize. I wish them all the success for really pushing the limit and not kneeling to the accountants onboard.

A lot of that comes from thinking outside the box, both Mazda engineers and designers. Everyone has soft touch instrument panels now but Mazda’s idea of using fabric incorporating a Japanese stitching method is unique. The fabric is like washi paper. Heritage plays a big role with them. Another example is the maple wood inlays. Everyone else uses oak or some dark wood.

Their weak point might be availability especially in the Midwest and some other regions. I’m fortunate to have several Mazda dealerships within a hour of the home. Some states don’t have one. They are very popular on the west coast.

I’m wondering if Lexus/Toyota is thinking about the inline six for one or more of their models?

A lot of that comes from thinking outside the box, both Mazda engineers and designers. Everyone has soft touch instrument panels now but Mazda’s idea of using fabric incorporating a Japanese stitching method is unique. The fabric is like washi paper. Heritage plays a big role with them. Another example is the maple wood inlays. Everyone else uses oak or some dark wood.

Their weak point might be availability especially in the Midwest and some other regions. I’m fortunate to have several Mazda dealerships within a hour of the home. Some states don’t have one. They are very popular on the west coast.

I’m wondering if Lexus/Toyota is thinking about the inline six for one or more of their models?
TMC has let go of that aspiration. The v35, will be the engine that will be farmed out to every model that would have been launched with a v8, and anything that is 2 door coupe. Plus with E-Axle they can really build up their weak points on that motor.

I do worry that Mazda be making this the hill that makes or breaks the brand.

Back