Buick Regal GS now with 6 speed and 255hp

Status
Not open for further replies.
If not for the Sonata Turbo 2.0T I'd likely be more impressed with the Regal GS offering from GM. The Sonata, now in showrooms, delivers 19 more horsepower and 5 more mpg rating in both the city and highway driving. And, the Sonata does it on recommended regular fuel while the GS recommends premium. The Kia Optima will also offer the 2.0 Turbo for those preferring more traditional styling.

The GS looks to be a nice effort from GM, but IMO it inevitably draw comparisons to the Sonata/Optima Turbo offerings. And, they will have a head start.

For the enthusiast though, the GS will offer a manual, while the Sonata/Optima won't.

Just to throw a little gas on the fire, there's some critical analysis over on TTAC about what the GS was supposed/wished to be (AWD, 325hp) and what it ended up being (FWD, 255hp). Being as the 0-60 time in the GS is only 7.5s, they seem to think you're mostly paying for a bodykit by choosing the GS over the CXL.

Regal GS critique w/some non-TTAC track video

Note: Don't shoot me/the messenger; I just saw this thread here and remembered seeing the related TTAC commentary yesterday. I actually like the changes at Buick and think these vehicles will have great value as 2-3 year old used vehicles. I'm not sure I'll buy one, but I'll definitely cross-shop Buick to see how they compare (something I wouldn't have done five years ago).

I test drove a Regal CXL with the NA 2.4L Ecotec DI on Saturday while my Saturn was getting serviced.

I am sold on this car, and I am convinced that it will be my next personal car provided that I decide to get a new car and not a CPO 335i. While it still retains some American car DNA, the suspension is well-tuned and the steering weight is excellent (though lacking in feel). Interior quality is above average, and the size of the car is about perfect for me. Great job, GM, I must say.

I don't see how a turbo-4 GS in any way lives up to the legacy Super-6 GS of the past in terms of performance or refinement relative to other quick sedans that are on the market today.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: CivicFan
I don't understand why they insist on changing Buick from a comfortable oldfolksmobile into a sports sedan. They already have sports sedans under the Cadillac brand.

I think its because the old folks that were typically buying Buicks like that are passing away and the market is not there anymore. That image was also hurting Buick so they had to change. Also, for the people that can't afford a Cadillac, they can get nearly the car for less money with Buick.

"BINGO!!!"

Originally Posted By: -Clayton-
Not to mention it's just plain ugly.

As a 32 year old, I think this is much better looking than my father in law's 2004 Regal.

Finally a Buick that's what I would consider: high quality interior, small fuel efficient engine (turbo 2.0), and look nice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: -Clayton-
Not to mention it's just plain ugly.

You must have seen the latest Acuras then....THAT'S ugly.

Well kids , got a call from my local sales critter ; they just unloaded a turbo Regal this afternoon :) With a little luck, I should be able to get some seat time . I had started an earlier thread ,but figured I'd just add to this one.
-best
Jorge

Drove the turbo Regal today; It's a runner!
Suspension was firmer , but not intrusive at all. VERY 'German feeling" i.e. firm cushions in the seats,firmly valved shocks, very small dead zone on center of steering. If they can broker one out to me at the right price, wifey's Christmas present is covered :) Seriously kids, drive one and see.

Was that the 220 hp version, or the GS? I'd love to test-drive that turbo Buick, as that just might make the short list for new cars. I've been plenty impressed by my "old-person's" Buick (note: I'm a mid-twentysomething), so they just may get another customer.

Uh-oh. I like what I see and hear about the Regal, but -- Firmer suspension means "You'll feel every split and hole and crack in the road, and don't you just love living where said splits, holes, and cracks are allowed to roam free?" It might not be right for me. I hope the new LaCrosse isn't set up the same way.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Uh-oh. I like what I see and hear about the Regal, but -- Firmer suspension means "You'll feel every split and hole and crack in the road, and don't you just love living where said splits, holes, and cracks are allowed to roam free?" It might not be right for me. I hope the new LaCrosse isn't set up the same way.

The Lacrosse is not set up as stiff as the Regal. It is complaint and roadworthy, but not harsh. I would compare the ride to a Park Avenue like yours with the Grand Touring Suspension option.

+ 1 on the LaCrosse ; test-drove it with the Touring package also.
About the same as my G35, perhaps a little less sway bar in it and a bit more spring and shock rate

They guy who used to own my PA has a new model LaCrosse, gold over cream -- one of my favorite color combos. Since I know how well he takes care of a car, I've told him when he's ready to sell in 2-3 years to call me!

In the meantime I should test drive a LaCrosse to see if I like it overall, and its ride.

Interesting developments from GM.

Do Buicks have Aisin transmissions these days?

Downside for me is at first glance this new Regal is overweight.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect

Do Buicks have Aisin transmissions these days?

I know some do, as my 07 Equinox does.

I sat in a new Regal the other night when I bought my truck.
Very nice put togther well. Was pretty comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back