The Mazda CX90. New commercial teasers and updates.

The only thing I can tell for sure is that it will have some of the same interiors as the new CX60. ( not available in the US)

The interior is really sharp but the new fabric instrument panel will require some new cleaning and maintenance solutions.

That grey fabric the use is just mind boggling. It looks like it's not smooth but textured, which would make cleaning even more complicated. And they even managed to put in the second row passenger doors, very convenient for the kids to use their crayons on.

"We removed the torque converter" ??? Seems like you need that...

The eight speed is all new. We will have to wait for some more in depth reviews. I know that the torque converter on my 2017 CX5 is very small and it locks up soon after moving.

That grey fabric the use is just mind boggling. It looks like it's not smooth but textured, which would make cleaning even more complicated. And they even managed to put in the second row passenger doors, very convenient for the kids to use their crayons on.

I agree. It looks fantastic but some different detailing solutions will have to come into play. Gone are the days of spraying interior detail spray all over. Give the kids a iPad and let them focus on that. 🤣

Interestingly enough, AutoWeek (January 31, 2023) reported that Mazda will offer both the inline-six engine as well as the 2.5L engine found in the CX-9.

“That 2.5-liter four is the other engine choice in the new CX-90. Through the miracle of hybrid electrics, the smaller-displacement mill manages 323 hp and the exact same 369 lb-ft torque as the six-cylinder. It, too, has an electric motor between the engine and trans, but it’s larger than the one mated to the inline-six. The electric motor draws on a 17.8-kWh lithium-ion battery mounted under the second- and third-row seats.

Both engines are mated to a Mazda-designed and built eight-speed automatic. I actually asked if they considered a CVT. No, they didn’t. This is Mazda, after all. There is no torque converter—that function being taken up by the electric motor. Mazda promises that it “achieves smooth and direct acceleration while improving drivetrain efficiency.”

Interestingly enough, AutoWeek (January 31, 2023) reported that Mazda will offer both the inline-six engine as well as the 2.5L engine found in the CX-9.

“That 2.5-liter four is the other engine choice in the new CX-90. Through the miracle of hybrid electrics, the smaller-displacement mill manages 323 hp and the exact same 369 lb-ft torque as the six-cylinder. It, too, has an electric motor between the engine and trans, but it’s larger than the one mated to the inline-six. The electric motor draws on a 17.8-kWh lithium-ion battery mounted under the second- and third-row seats.

Both engines are mated to a Mazda-designed and built eight-speed automatic. I actually asked if they considered a CVT. No, they didn’t. This is Mazda, after all. There is no torque converter—that function being taken up by the electric motor. Mazda promises that it “achieves smooth and direct acceleration while improving drivetrain efficiency.”

That’s interesting regarding the electric motor replacing the torque converter.

The PHEV gets the 2.5 four cylinder while the other gets the 3.3 inline turbo six which is a mild hybrid.

Here is the quick review from Motoman. He quickly mentions that the transmission uses a wet plate multi clutch.

This guy is a bit of a comic. See if you catch the 8 track reference in the video. I look forward to his video with Dave Coleman if that is happening.

This feature is on the top trim level. Other trim levels will have the typical black interior without the washi paper interior.

SO is it a wet dual clutch or an electric motor (or both)

I don't hate it, and Mazda has the capacity to make some cool stuff... so i wish them luck.

SO is it a wet dual clutch or an electric motor (or both)

I don't hate it, and Mazda has the capacity to make some cool stuff... so i wish them luck.

It’s both. The electric motor is in between the engine and the transmission

I’m hoping for a Dave Coleman explanation on this powertrain.

Proprietary transmission makes me nervous. Especially since it is innovative in design. They could look like geniuses on 5 years but odds are against that.

Great looking though and Mazda is known for outside the box thinking.

You and every other driving enthusiast on the planet.
But, we can't have nice things from Mazda.

I wonder how many years of promising the US market that the Inline 6 is coming soon before the model gets dropped for the all new CX-110?

Mazda hasn't delivered on any of the new high tech engines that they have been developing to the US market in almost 10 years now.
Built several stunning concept cars, only to drop their Mazda 6 sedan, and decide against a Halo car altogether.
So much development money wasted, and back to the drawing board they go.

You and every other driving enthusiast on the planet.
But, we can't have nice things from Mazda.

I wonder how many years of promising the US market that the Inline 6 is coming soon before the model gets dropped for the all new CX-110?

Mazda hasn't delivered on any of the new high tech engines that they have been developing to the US market in almost 10 years now.
Built several stunning concept cars, only to drop their Mazda 6 sedan, and decide against a Halo car altogether.
So much development money wasted, and back to the drawing board they go.

The in-line 6 is here but it’s not the SkyActiv X. I don’t know why that hasn’t progressed beyond Europe except for low sales.

A 2024 Mazda6 reincarnation is due out this year. It will have the six as well.

If the numbers are right, the inline turbo six has the same torque as the turbo 4 but 18hp more. Why go to the trouble of having another engine option if it only gains 18hp at the same torque ?

I wonder if their any accountants or actual leaders left at Mazda. They seem to be making some interesting choices. This was suppose to be the answer to the Pallisades and upcoming Grand Highlander....Its tiny inside

I just got slightly used Atlas, and than saw Maxda CX-90, and was like: oh, I really screwed up, considering inline 6.
Now, I see that they completely missed the market. For 50k, you are getting Honda Pilot, and VW Atlas SEL Premium, and they can haul a serious number of people comfortably.
No one will cross-shop X5, GLE or Q7 with CX-90.

Wow, an all-new inline six-cylinder engine! It's good to see Mazda do their own thing again. This is embarrassing for Toyota, who refused to develop a new inline six for their most iconic car, the Supra.

I hope the inline 6 CX-90 is a huge success. I also hope Mazda has learned from the CX-9 disaster. My coworker had a CX-9 and it was a total nightmare to own: 13mpg, engine failure and transmission failure.

Now, please bring back the MX-6 and stick it to the BMW Supra!

The in-line 6 is here but it’s not the SkyActiv X. I don’t know why that hasn’t progressed beyond Europe except for low sales.

A 2024 Mazda6 reincarnation is due out this year. It will have the six as well.

Are they planning on selling the 6 in the US? Been looking at used ones lately.

Back