Cadillac's new ATS V-Spec: Hi-Speed Orgasmotron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that was informative Mr Horsepower.
Now about that video, I think I know where it was shot.
Remember the Ford truck pulling the stick of firewood ad?
A 2103 GMC had to be kept out of sight during the shoot.
I did not know the the intentions of the ATS was to build
a street legal track car. That must mean that myself and
the other 99.9% of the population just doesn't get it.
Give me a week and a cutting torch and I'll turn that
turbo model into a real track car.

Originally Posted By: used_0il
That looks like a fun project LS 1 Mike.

When you shop for a cam, don't buy overlap,
the GM engine designers are smarter
than the cam buying public.

114-116 LSA sounds about right in blowhard's opinion.

Now whatever happened to the "ORIGIONAL" CTS tune-up?

I have a N/A 11 second LS1 Trans Am 6 speed. 112-110 LSA is just right in those. You can daily drive it no problem. A 116 is worthless. That was the stock grind for all F-bodies and those cams are MILD. Most guys with a cam only car will run a 112 or better.
Cam in my Trans Am is a 112 LSA .582/.591. duration 228/230

The Chevrolet Performance Parts (CPP) catalog has a few aftermarket cams designed by GM engineers specifically for the LS1 and LS6...The GM hot cam is hmmmm 112 LSA. The GM ASA Cam is 110. Both very streetable. Lots of them running around out there.

Have you ever modified or tuned an LS motor?

Now whatever happened to the "ORIGIONAL" CTS tune-up?

Not sure I understand. My first CTS? That was the wife's ride, put just north of 150,000 on the Opel Sourced 3.2, never gave us any problems. She decided, in 07, She wanted an Equinox. We drove that 6 years 142,000 thousand miles and picked up a 2013 Equinox.

XLranger; Why are you the only young person responding?

I think your post is sick.

I'm not the only young person responding actually. I believe hatteras is a little older than I am, but not by much, though he is in the "I'd rather buy a Benz" camp. A couple others in the thread may be within roughly the same demographic.

What's sick in my post? Pointing out that boomers will buy anything under the sun if it appeals to them and strikes the right chord? Your generation has the most diverse, unpredictable tastes the auto industry has ever dealt with, and they've never been able to nail it down. Boomers aren't the Cadillac generation, they are the generation that gave Cadillac problems, not mine, not gen X. Your generation was the one that bucked the idea of "you buy a Chevy first, then an Oldsmobile, then a Buick, then a Cadillac." Cadillac has a better chance selling cars to my generation if they keep up with the times because we don't really remember the Cimarron or the land yachts. Your generation does though, so it's seen as "cigars and Depends" regardless of what Cadillac does. I don't see cigars and Depends in the CTS-V. You do apparently. My parents do. Hence why they are more likely to buy something that the manufacturers actually tried to target towards my generation or gen X. If luxury cars appealed to my parents, they'd probably buy a Benz too, but like many others in their generation, the manufactuers can't bank on them buying a luxury car just because they are getting up there in years. They wanted a kind of fun/practicle vehicle, and a fuel efficient tree hugging vehicle. If they were willing to do the Euro car thing again, I'd put money on a GTI.

Is it calling them granola eaters? They wear that badge with pride. They aren't easily offended like the Cadillac generation. My dad pokes fun at me for being what he considers conservative.

Cadillac lost boomers a long time ago, but not all is lost for them if they keep doing what they are doing now, and if my generation and the millenials will actually buy cars.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Brabus-Bullit-800-coupe-301-626x382.jpg

Black and is 800hp enough?

How much does this cost? It's probably not built for the same demographic as the ATS-V.

Well its not a $299 ATS lease special; which is the point really.

Which is rather pompous itself. Some of our friends who are VERY wealthy (own some very recognizable companies, own their own islands in the Caribbean, etc) still drive very pedestrian cars. Cars that would be considered very low end by the nose in the air crowd. Yet they do indeed appreciate cars and boats and fine homes and some REALLY nice stuff.

Some things are just excessive enough to be ridiculous to most anyone... Not usable, such a marginal improvement that the "appreciation" wanes real quick, etc.

As a fairly young person (younger half of my 30s), I don't get the trend towards gaudy cars (and some of the supposed high end, "you wouldn't understand" type cars are the worst violators), nor am I against the big land yacht type cars, or minivans. Everything has its place, and if the market supports it, great.

Some things are also just such a waste of money that even if you have so much that you don't know what to do with it, its still just silly...

There is a cross section where practicality, fun, economy, efficiency, and power/performance are about optimal. Something like this or a CTS-V is about the right spot, IMO.

But it is a shame that there isn't any GM V-8 in it, given that a high power V8 to me is a Caddy trademark.

The issue I guess is that this car sort of strikes me as being a malibu with a caddy badge (not true since this is front engine, RWD which the Malibu isn't). The platform sharing, for as much as it makes sense and perhaps trickles down some benefits, is something that is automatically set in my mind with a lot of brands...

Me; I would like 6 oil filters please.
Parts; That will be $1,200.

Me; This is the parts department isn't it?
Parts; I will sell you the filters just to get you away from my counter.

Like I said, sounds like a [censored] dealer. Patronize a better one.

If they need to make their money on oil filters, they are doing it wrong. I'd rather spend my time selling a few grand in body/trim panels on one ticket than haggle with a walk in over freaking filters.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
If someone wants that white/blue logo on their hood as a status symbol, there is nothing Cadillac can do about it. BMW can sleep easy and just pump money into the whole UDM marketing.

That's true. The lack of low-end variants of the euro vehicles annoys me. While my next car may well be an E-class diesel, it may also not be if they try to put too much garbage in it to make people who lease them think that they are "high end" when they're not.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I was very disappointed when Caddy decided not to appear at the State Fair of Texas this year...very disappointed.

LOL, you also can't get a caddy convertible with horns on the front any more either
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Which is rather pompous itself. Some of our friends who are VERY wealthy (own some very recognizable companies, own their own islands in the Caribbean, etc) still drive very pedestrian cars. Cars that would be considered very low end by the nose in the air crowd. Yet they do indeed appreciate cars and boats and fine homes and some REALLY nice stuff.

Yup. As I posted about before the one individual I know had no problem driving around in those old Buick Caprice-style wagons because they were great to cart her dogs around in. She's one of the richest people in Canada.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Yup. As I posted about before the one individual I know had no problem driving around in those old Buick Caprice-style wagons because they were great to cart her dogs around in. She's one of the richest people in Canada.

Dogs often motivate people to make interesting choices in vehicles.

Not a case of wealth, but my 22 year old cousin recently bought a 1990s Dodge B150 Ram Van...because it's great to cart her dogs around in. Her first car was a new Mazda 3. Her second car a Maxima. Oddly enough, she seems much more enthusiastic about the big old Ram Van than her previous cars. I asked her what engine it had in it, and without even having to think about it for a second, she said "it has the 318." Made me proud.
grin.gif
First thing she did when she got the van was to have all the fluids changed...the last two cars got no such maintenance.

"Sick" is good. Example;
I think your new car is sick.

The Benz dealer wanted $1,200 for 6 oil changes.
I wanted 6 oil filters.

I don't do Tweet, but there is a translation
going on; What the person is saying
and what the person is thinking.

We'll start over.

Me; I would like 6 oil filters please.(Why do they always have red hair?)
Parts; That will be $55.00 including tax. (What a waste of a nice car)

Me; Thank you. (Have you been bobbing for apples in a deep fryer?)
Parts; Come back anytime. (Never I hope)

Me; Oh I will. (When I need a 34 cent washer, part # 69 trillion and something.)

Brabus-Bullit-800-coupe-301-626x382.jpg

Black and is 800hp enough?

Quite obviously, the demographic for THAT vehicle is never supposed to open the bonnet, but is expected to like what's in the photo.

Seriously, is that where you would put an air cleaner that you would expect muggles to be poking around ?

"Sick" is good. Example;

I wanted 6 oil filters.

We'll start over.

Me; Oh I will. (When I need a 34 cent washer, part # 69 trillion and something.)

Serious question: are you intoxicated?

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Cadillac is really stepping things up to dethrone BMW as the acknowledged industry leader in luxury sports sedans. I couldn't believe all the technical content that has been changed to increase performance in this car.

Cadillac is a great value and they are making some real good cars, for my money they are a no brainer for what you get.
The Americans are well able to make cars that compete with anything and have done many times over the years even against makes like MB and Rolls Royce.

The era 70 through the late 90's was a bad time for the American car industry but it will come back.
I hope they allow Cadillac to build its own engines again not just dressed up corporate versions and a real American flagship car even if it means producing its small numbers at a loss.
For Lincoln i fear its way too late. Ford has allowed the image to be tarnished so badly it seems beyond resurrection. There will never be anything unique and built like the Continental Mark II again.

Something like this..

Last edited:
This is what it would take to get me to buy an ATS:

Remove the turbo V6 and install the Mercury Marine 4.5L V6/LSV8 option.

Give me a switch so I can turn off the traction control and ABS completely.

Raise the ride height 25mm.

Four doors.

Stiffer suspension.

Wait a minute....did I almost describe a Pontiac G8?

What happened to that car?

Oh! You sold them all.

Unless there's a G8 in your drive way, your post isn't valid.

I'm 42. If I bought a new car, Buick and Caddy would be on the short list.

Last edited:
"Sick" is good. Example;

I wanted 6 oil filters.

We'll start over.

Gotcha...don't usually hear sick used in that context from boomers, but then again you guys are the "I won't be caught dead or wearing Depends in a Cadillac" generation.

Too bad your dealer wants to pull the "you don't buy a Mercedes to maintain it yourself" card. Granted, we don't sell luxury brands where I work, but the only time I direct people to service is when I can tell they are in way over their heads, or when they want me to diagnose the car for them. Those encounters usually go like this...

Customer: I need the air condition for my car.
Me: Ok, which part of it?
Customer: I don't know, the air condition part, it don't blow cold.
Me: Well, the air conditioning system has a lot of parts. I think you need to have the car diagnosed.
Customer: They charge for that?
Me: Yes, I am sure they will. Have a nice day.

If I had the money to dispose, I'd think hard about disposing it on the ATS-V with the 6-speed manual. Right size for where I need to drive it, and likely would sip fuel when not using the turbos. Plus it's a GM, so the aftermarket will likely have a 500+ hp tune out in 6 months for $400 or so. Swap the PSS's for PS AS3's, and it would be a fine 3-season car. As long as I'm dreaming, keep the Cruze around for the winter beater, lol!

I was very disappointed when Caddy decided not to appear at the State Fair of Texas this year...very disappointed.
LOL, you also can't get a caddy convertible with horns on the front any more either
crackmeup2.gif

Yep..I remember those..smoky & the bandit?

As for the Caddy's disappearing act at SFOT, Caddy's are everywhere around Austin, so I was hoping to at least sit in one at the Fair. No joy. I don't like the way they look at all (the angular motif + smiling, cheese-grater grille...just looks cheesy to me), but inside they might be very nice...if I could fit that is (6'4"). Evidently, they're doing something right as I see plenty of them on the road. Perhaps they've found their niche? It's about time....

But I did have to smirk at the sales guys frank admission re: "staying away just because the Europeans do"...gimme a break.

Evidently, they're doing something right as I see plenty of them on the road.

Well, you are in TX.
grin.gif

Quote:

But I did have to smirk at the sales guys frank admission re: "staying away just because the Europeans do"...gimme a break.

Yeah, if they are going to turn their noses up like that, they better be ready to play hard and keep it up.

The European angle is what got them in hot water before and is why a lot of people who remember the Cimarron and Catera don't take them seriously when they say they are going to make a 3 Series or C Class fighter. I think the ATS is legitimate competition, but they will need to keep pace with the Germans and strive to do better than them all the time, not just be almost like them. If they get complacent, it will just fall behind and won't resonate with the people willing to give them a chance this time. I don't think alienating the Texas crowd will really help them out there.

If you want a V8, all signs & rumors still point to there being an ATS-V "Plus" with a V8 and 600+ HP. I think not having a carbon ceramic brake option on the ATS-V almost guarantees they are planning an even hotter version.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sciphi
Swap the PSS's for PS AS3's, and it would be a fine 3-season car.

I would go the other direction on mine, swapping the PSSes for the PS Cups, as I would want to be CERTAIN of having enough grip to kill all of the equivalent Euro/Teuton/Nippon product out there, at any given moment.
wink.gif
34.gif
19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back