The Mazda CX90. New commercial teasers and updates.

Mazda is spreading this introduction over a few weeks. What is known so far is that it will be a three row crossover taking the place of the current CX9. The big news so far is that it will have a SkyActiv inline six cylinder turbocharged engine that will be longitudinally mounted. A PHEV version will be available as well.

Hiroyuki Sanada is featured in the video commercials.

Turbo inline 6 in the proper orientation? (longitudinal means much easier to work on AND rear drive bias; inline 6 means very smooth)

You can only milk out so much handling from a FWD bias platform. Rear drive means a much more driver-focused platform with better handling in mind. This is becoming "normal' again (GV from Genesis; Explorer/Aviator; Durango; many German SUVs). I'm very happy to see RWD bias come back into vogue. Give me a torquey, buttery-smooth, I6 and it's VERY intriguing.

Now I'm interested !!!

Last edited:
Turbo inline 6 in the proper orientation? (longitudinal means much easier to work on AND rear drive bias; inline 6 means very smooth)

You can only milk out so much handling from a FWD bias platform. Rear drive means a much more driver-focused platform with better handling in mind. This is becoming "normal' again (GV from Genesis; Explorer/Aviator; Durango; many German SUVs). I'm very happy to see RWD bias come back into vogue. Give me a torquey, buttery-smooth, I6 and it's VERY intriguing.

Now I'm interested !!!
All 280hp of it...

Where are the specs for this new motor? 280 horsepower but how much torque? Also is this for the phev version or standard?

Where are the specs for this new motor? 280 horsepower but how much torque? Also is this for the phev version or standard?
Its actually 340hp and 369lb-ft of torque for the North American market. See Mazda press release from today.

The only thing I can tell for sure is that it will have some of the same interiors as the new CX60. ( not available in the US)

The interior is really sharp but the new fabric instrument panel will require some new cleaning and maintenance solutions.

I'm interested in learning more about that inline 6. The industry seems to be moving away from v6's and even v8's like Chrysler with their new hurricane platform.

Its actually 340hp and 369lb-ft of torque for the North American market. See Mazda press release from today.

Ah that sounds more like it! Definitely competitive, looking forward to the e-skyactiv specs as well

"The available 3.3-liter inline six turbo will have the highest horsepower and torque from a mass production gasoline engine developed by Mazda with 340 horsepower and 369 lb-ft of torque when using the recommended premium fuel. "
OK - now I'm very intrigued!

" ... while also featuring a mild-hybrid system ..."
Well, so much for that. I'm not interested in the complexity of a hybrid.

Darn it; I was really excited for this until I read that last part.
My hunt for a new car continues.

Back