The furthest you’ve driven, straight on through

I’m talking no hotel to sleep/rest/let the car rest. I guess you could include someone taking the wheel for you for a while. But no rest for that vehicle aside from stopping for gas or bathroom break.

Mine was New Hampshire to Baltimore. I guess 7 hours? Maybe 500 miles?

I‘ve done a drive to Niagara Falls. That was probably six hours but it was just so much easier than Baltimore. No major cities, smooth, flat, peaceful. Baltimore was a nightmare...NY, Jersey, George Washington Bridge, tolls and tolls and tolls. I actually pulled off the highway on the Jersey turnpike to get gas - because I didn’t want to wait in line at the stations on the turnpike - that was a HUGE mistake...think I drove 40 miles trying to find a station. Lol. Seriously.

And I drove to Philly in a north easter. That was horrible. Got to the hotel and I was shaking. So out if it I left my wallet at the reception desk.

Always thought I’d do a cross country drive. Never have. Figured I’d do the old...“Florida drive”. Haven’t done that either.

About a year ago, we drove home non stop from Smith Mountain Lake to our home in north jersey straight through. With 2 dogs and a 1 1/2 year old, car and roof box were packed. 480 miles, 7 hours 2 minutes, average speed 68 at 24.7 mpg in my diesel GL. I was pretty happy lol. Normally its about 8 hours plus stops. Still had over a quarter tank too, wish I couldve shot for a 700 mile tank of fuel!

Boston to Nashville food and fuel stops only, I was alone. Did Ft Lauderdale to Boston with another driver food and fuel stops only.

The longest drives I've done straight through in no particular order are:

- DC to Ft. Myers
- DC to Boston
- DC to Atlanta
- DC to Manchester TN
- VA Beach to Allagash Maine
- VA Beach to Watertown NY
- Los Angeles to Denver
- Austin TX to New Orleans

Reactions: ndn
I've done plenty of long drives. I drive from NY to Minneapolis (1200 miles), NY to Loganville, GA (860), and NY to Orlando (1130 miles) fairly regularly since I have family in those locations. The furthest that I have driven without rest was from New Orleans back to NY (1350 miles). I do all the driving.

From Long Island, NY to Buffalo and back........844 miles in 12 hours, round trip.
Was bringing my older son back to College. Only stops were gas, bathroom, and Duff’s for some wings. :p(y)

Tallahassee, FL to Vernon, TX - 18 hours, 1020 miles
Kerrville, TX to Tampa, FL - 20 hours, 1240 miles

Only stopped for gas and bathroom time. Ate while driving.

Last edited:
We drove from Baltimore to Dallas Texas non stop. I was young and foolish. Couldn't do that today.

Furthest in one day: about 1,200 miles, only stopping for gas, food, and restroom breaks.

Furthest without stopping at all: Just over 400 miles (Denver, CO to Salina, KS). Just about a full tank of gas. I was a younger man back then, I don't ever want to try that again.

Danbury CT to somewhere in KY. 780 miles, 11 hours flat. One stop at the halfway mark for fuel and food. Did that a few times, not sure I could do that again.

In college I did a few trips from ME to FL, those were 24 hour jaunts but we had a pile of drivers in the 13 (15?) passenger van, so we just swapped drivers after a few hours each time.

From Broomfield, CO to near Scott, AFB, IL, about 880miles. That's a 12-13 hour day. It was in a rented Nissan Maxima. Took two days on the drive out since oilBabe has a brother in KS, but she flew to Dallas from Denver, so I drove back alone. Put somewhere between 2500 and 3k miles on that rental in a week.

Cleveland Heights, OH to Denver, CO. 1350 miles. Solo. Non stop. Gas and bathroom only. Too young to realize how fatigued I truly was at the end of the drive.

Denver to Hartford, CT. 2,000 miles. Two drivers. Non stop. Gas and bathroom only. Took turns driving. Better than solo, but not much...

Went from Mt. Vernon, IL to Naples, Fl in a 1992 Ford Taurus SHO....1100 miles by myself..stopped for gas and bathrooms....great ride...did most of it in the middle of the night.

St Petersburg Beach Florida to San Antonio Texas is one sitting. 22 hours and 1244 miles. I was beat, thank goodness it was in a Lincoln Town car.

One day solo - Denver to the "middle of southern Indiana" - 863 miles.

I wish I had taken note during the several NYC to Tampa (St. Petersburg Beach) runs. We ate miles as the schedule always pressed.

Tampa Florida to Dallas Texas.
Left at 2 or 3 in the morning, got to dallas between 9 or 10 p.m. that night it was 10 years ago so cant remmember the exact hours. Lots of miles

Back