The cost of living in 2024....

She doesn't have any student debt. Do you believe that every college student has student loan debt because the media and a certain WH Administration is so fixated on it?

I financed her college education. Where do I apply for my free stuff?
I feel ya. I sent one to a private college, still waiting on my "forgiveness" to come through.

You are sorely misguided at what's coming in society for your generation. I take it you've never been in a hospital...

You're sorely misguided at what skills and tasks are performed by an X-ray tech. Just because they spent 7-1/2 seconds telling you where the stand and press a button doesn't mean that's all there is. If it was, the hospital would have had YOU do it.

Pro tip: There's not just "boomers" in the hospital. Children's Healthcare of Atlanta (CHOA) is currently building a multi-billion dollar campus in Atlanta. Multiple buildings. Multiple doctors offices, clinics, parking decks. It's massive. This is in addition to the already multiple campuses already in the Atlanta area.
What is wild to me is that a hip replacement for a dog costs 6K, but one for a human costs 450K...maybe that difference is what pays for the "multi billion dollar" campus.

What is wild to me is that a hip replacement for a dog costs 6K, but one for a human costs 450K...maybe that difference is what pays for the "multi billion dollar" campus.
As a (retired) physician I find the quoted cost for a human hip replacement astonishing.

Yes, there would be delays in getting that procedure in Canada. It might take 6 months or even a year to get that surgery. But then it would be 100% covered by medicare. And the physician's fees and hospital care costs (the total cost in other words) would be about what you're quoting for a dog, maybe a bit less.

Full disclosure: Not quite all costs are covered in Canada. Visitor parking at our local hospitals costs $1.25/hour. And visitors usually have to buy their own coffee.

I mean no disrespect, but that pay seems very low for a bachelors degree.. especially for a $130k bachelor’s degree. You said nurses make that as well? Also seems low.

Is there any chance of tuition reimbursement or a sign on bonus?

That would help a lot. I could vary, but my wife only had to stay at the employer for 4 years to keep hers. It is heavily taxed though.. say she owed 10k in student loans, they gave her 6.5k or so. Her first hospital job she received a sign on and tuition reimbursement.

How things have changed. I graduated in '69 in Mechanical Engineering. The going rate was $9600 salary. C ost of my education which was 5 years was under 5K$ My parents paid my way but I had over 6K$ in the bank. Married in my senior year. My wife had her own car (paid) She was teaching at $3600. After working 6 months I bought a new Camaro cash.

In '72 we bought a new house. Those days are so gone forever.

I believe today many should just get a job and go from there. Forget about college.

Adjusted for inflation:
Starting salary in ‘69: $81,145
5 yr college in ‘69: $42,278
Average cost of house in ‘72: $27,600

Not sure what you paid for the house (I just googled average house cost in 1972), but having an annual salary greater than the cost of a house is mind boggling to me.

Last edited:
My niece with no training makes $24/hr as dental assistant however MA just over NH border.

RT is a tech job and normally takes 2hrs not 4 year degree which led to $130k. Was it a private school leading to that?

That all being said agree with you on way out of whack. I made $40k out of college as civil engineer in 1995 and my education cost $40k all in. I was able to buy a small home for $100k then age 22.

Trades are very good and lead to a good career.
Sort of, initially they do however after certain time period can be hard on body and the pay raises stagnate vs a management track. If you can move to management of trade or owner who can perform work, handle money and not over promise (most trades people clueless on business) you can make intense money.

The folks I know making serious money in trades typically attended two year or 4 year business school. One is speciality construction company and the other home builder while working at defense company (only 35 hrs :) from home ).

Another avenue I would recommend is manufacturing. Around here machine operator pays $22-$25 starting and there always hiring. It involves a lot of loading and unloading of raw materials and finished goods - nothing too heavy but your on your feet all shift and you will work nights for a couple years minimum. The plus side is you will get raises or moved up, and after a while they will pay for trade school and give you an apprenticeship for a higher skilled job if they like you.

When I started in the industry 25 years ago all the machine operators seemed to be men. Now days it seems to be mostly women. I guess the men are too lazy to work all day - don't know?
They got better paying jobs as tradesmen?

As a (retired) physician I find the quoted cost for a human hip replacement astonishing.

Yes, there would be delays in getting that procedure in Canada. It might take 6 months or even a year to get that surgery. But then it would be 100% covered by medicare. And the physician's fees and hospital care costs (the total cost in other words) would be about what you're quoting for a dog, maybe a bit less.

Full disclosure: Not quite all costs are covered in Canada. Visitor parking at our local hospitals costs $1.25/hour. And visitors usually have to buy their own coffee.
Covered by who? The Government doesn't have a job, every penny it pays for medical procedures ultimately comes from the population.

Who financed all that?
My wife is at about 9, if she had taken it all at once. She has done half of it one class at a time part time, and I paid.

She is a teacher. They must take a certain number of credits to maintain there certs. The district or state offer free classes to do this, but you can take other stuff if you pay yourself. I convinced her to take useful stuff rather than their indoctrination. She has a masters and is working on a PHD in a different field.

Congrats on your daughter’s accomplishment. I didn’t read all 5 pages, but if I followed:
Year 1 = $20k
Year 2 = $17.5k
Year 3 = $15k
Year 4 thru 5.5 = $60k

Somewhere between $112.5k and $130k (I might have misunderstood the yearly cost) for 5.5 years? $23k to $24k a year?

My costs were somewhere in the $16k to $20k a year range back in 2008/2009 for what most would likely call a do nothing undergrad (BA economics and political science) plus a 5th year for grad school (MBA). Honestly doesn't seem that far fetched or crazy to me, I would do it over again, probably would work less during if I could do it again. I’m sure I’ll feel differently when it’s time for mine to go if they do!

Based on what you posted, she’ll be at $57k pay on the night shift with no overtime… better than I was doing starting out. Good luck to your daughter!

There were about 6-1/2 years. 4 years before entering the RT program, which is 5 straight semesters, no breaks. Each one of the RT program semesters is about $6k just in tuition. This has been 2022-2024. The cost of housing during this period was 200%+ the cost of housing I paid for her during the prior 4 years. Other expenses increased, as we know.

Years 3-4 were about $15k each, as you suspected. Tuition back then was about $3-4k, which was picked up through the Athletic Department for her working for them. There was STILL $1000+ in FEES they didn't pay for....

No, I wouldn't be financing a college "experience" for a kid to get some Poli-science (science..... ) degree/indoctrination nor would I be financing some BS in gender studies, how round is a wheel or some other crap dreamed up by a college staff to sucker in students and their parents checkbooks...

If you have an economics degree, I am guessing you could use that in a productive manner to work in finance or some other field to assist entities with good decisions.

My niece with no training makes $24/hr as dental assistant however MA just over NH border.

RT is a tech job and normally takes 2hrs not 4 year degree which led to $130k. Was it a private school leading to that?

That all being said agree with you on way out of whack. I made $40k out of college as civil engineer in 1995 and my education cost $40k all in. I was able to buy a small home for $100k then age 22.

RT is a little more than a tech/trade school job. My daughter has been through some ridiculous math tasks during the RT program where she had to calculate all sorts of things about how the patient is functioning and how a ventilator should be set based on those calculations. There's also several theories as to how a patient should be treated, she had to learn about those and more.

There's also more to treating patients as an RT. You do realize that many tasks they perform are life-saving and a ventilator is a life-support system, right?

Have you ever had a family member on a ventilator in a hospital for an extended period of time? I ask because I have. I know what the RTs do. I suspect most people reading this thread couldn't do the job for any amount of money.

$130k of expenditure to make $57k/yr. The only way that makes sense is if it’s chasing a passion and is highly fulfilling. There are so many other professions that make more and don’t require the same expense.

This all happened because the high paying jobs were white collar when boomers were young. Boomers therefore encouraged their millennial kids to get college degrees. Loan proliferation caused schools to profiteer and caused impacted degree programs.

Result: education costs up, competition for employees in certain fields down.

Now, the best paying jobs for the lowest investment are skilled trades, the exact opposite of the situation when boomers were young.

It’s unfortunate rent doesn’t come directly out of your taxable income like the interest and other bs associated with a mortgage.

If your daughter could get her work to shield some of her income as per diem (for rent whatever) that could reduce the taxes she pays.
Unless you have a super expensive house or high interest rate, std deduction will likely be higher.

Something like non taxed per diem can bite you in the butt later. I did 12 years in the USAF, lot of non taxed like BAH, BAS.
Looking at social security, all those years I earned "on paper" not much.

Adjusted for inflation:
Starting salary in ‘69: $81,145
5 yr college in ‘69: $42,278
Average cost of house in ‘72: $27,600

Not sure what you paid for the house (I just googled average house cost in 1972), but having an annual salary greater than the cost of a house is mind boggling to me.
Huh?
His salary wasnt $81,000 is was $9,600

Back