synthetic oil, how good is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just recently completed the transformation of 100% synthetic fluids from bumper to bumper on my 2003 halfton silverado Z71. I live in Iowa and I'm soon going to college in South Dakota, and I have been told that the winters up there are much colder and worse than in Iowa (thought it couldnt get worse!) So i'm wondering, just how much better are synthetics in very cold weather as compared to conventional oils? I have Mobil 5w-30 synthetic in my engine, Mobil 75w-90 synthetic in both front and rear differentials, and Valvoline Dexron VI synthetic in my tranny. Let me know what you think! Thanks

Night and day difference if you use the right kind of synthetics that have extremely good cold flow properties like Amsoil or Redline, or M1. Grp-III Syns like PP don't offer as good cold-flow but are still better than your plain old dino.

You won't have any problems with that combo. Synt. oil will help the engine in the extreme cold there to start. You done good.

I live in Des Moines and run full synth. in everything that needs liquid lube in my truck. Valvoline syn. in the tranny, tranfer case and diffies, and either Synpower or Castrol Syntec in the mill.
The VW Bus gets dino in the engine ('cause it leaks) but Redline MT90 synth in the trans.
Wife's car gets RP.

You used some top-notch fluids imo!
11.gif

Both conventional oil and synthetic oils will give you a very long and productive life in your engine regardless of the ambient temps outside. Don't let people here tell you that synthetic oil will some how extend your engine life by thousands of miles. It's more important to make sure your fluids are changed at proper intervals that are dictated by your driving style and pattern. Good luck in college and happy motoring

In my approximation, if you get below 10 def F, synthetic engine oil will be e benefit when starting a cold engine.
Synthetic oil in differentials or transmissions is always good.

Good change. Might see some mpg increases too.

It will flow better in the cold due to the Syn oil having all the wax removed in the refining process.

The synthetic will give you better cold weather starts. Next OC use a 0W30, check the cold flow numbers. The 0W30 will be even better for cold winter starting. Every little bit helps IMO, especially in the extreme cold you'll be seeing. Good luck!

Originally Posted By: hpracing10
I have just recently completed the transformation of 100% synthetic fluids from bumper to bumper on my 2003 halfton silverado Z71. I live in Iowa and I'm soon going to college in South Dakota, and I have been told that the winters up there are much colder and worse than in Iowa (thought it couldnt get worse!) So i'm wondering, just how much better are synthetics in very cold weather as compared to conventional oils? I have Mobil 5w-30 synthetic in my engine, Mobil 75w-90 synthetic in both front and rear differentials, and Valvoline Dexron VI synthetic in my tranny. Let me know what you think! Thanks

shoulda gone to school in texas or something then you could just use regular old oil

Hey bud I run Valvoline Max Life in my 2003 Silverado last year we had some winter where it was below zero for a while and I never had an issue. I change my oil every 3000. I have Amsoil sever gear in the rear and valvoline 80-90w in the front. Truck has almost 95K on it and still running smooth worry about your studies that Chevy of yours sounds well taken care of..

Suck out the power-steering fliud and go with synthetic there also.I don't buy that in normal temps that synthetics don't protect better then good dino oil.I live in mid Georgia and have used full synthetics(Amsoil/Royal Purple products) for the last 15 years or so.Including tractors with hyd.lifts,lawn mowers and such.I have run several vehicles 250k plus and they stay tighter and function better then vehicles I owned in the past that I drained and refilled with dino fliuds a LOT more often then with synthetics.All of the vehicles/equipment I have sold used running good synthetics new owners have been amazed at how well/tight they felt and ran.I even use Amsoil spray lube in locks,hinges,ball/seats etc.I KNOW it makes a differance over normal lubes.FLUSH your BRAKE system and use a quality synthetic brake fliud.You'll notice a difference.Might be only slight but better.In the Dakotas I'd use quality synthetics in every part of that truck I could get it in.If you repack wheel bearings or front hubs,same deal.LOL

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Night and day difference if you use the right kind of synthetics that have extremely good cold flow properties like Amsoil or Redline, or M1. Grp-III Syns like PP don't offer as good cold-flow but are still better than your plain old dino.

thumbsup2.gif
01.gif
happy2.gif
banana2.gif
cheers3.gif
19.gif

Well good deal then, I'm glad I got some feedback on this and thanks a bunch! I try to keep everything top knotch on my truck, pushing 200,000 and needs to last me 'till i'm out of school. Using good brands of oil is fairly cheap insurance in my opinion. Especially when money is tight like during college.

One other question, I've heard you can't run synthetic fluid in the front diff on a 2003 silverado or it will leak, how true is this? I have had the Mobil 1 synthetic 75w-90 up there for 5 months now and no leak. The owners manual calls for 80w-90 conventional. What should I be using? I want to keep it synthetic but don't want to have leaks. Thanks again!

Originally Posted By: crinkles
shoulda gone to school in texas or something then you could just use regular old oil

Ummm, nope. I use 100% synthetics for the TX HEAT...honest!

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Ummm, nope. I use 100% synthetics for the TX HEAT...honest!

Sythetic works better at both extremes.
01.gif

After living in Alaska for 10 years, and very aware of also how the winters are in the Dakotas sometimes, why not also look into a good oil pan heater? I have used oil pan and battery heaters for decades and love them, reasonable in price and a snap to install. Not really that much power consumption (usually less than a quarter of the wattage of the typical block heater), and they can be put on a timer to limit when they operate. I still use them in the coldest part of Iowa winters. A very simple, cost effective solution to any concerns about startability and oil flow in cold temps. While it might be a nice feature that a high quality synthetic will flow at, say -45F, I am not sure I would really let my engine oil get that cold. Why put the stress on your engine? And the warmth from the oil radiates up into the block and makes it a tad easier for the engine to start as well.

I have thought about an oil pan heater but I just don't know where to start. Could anyone give me any ideas on good websites or brands to start looking at as far as oil pan heaters go? Or would a coolant heater spliced in the heater hose be a better option? Thanks for all the replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back