Is high mileage synthetic oil really worth it?

If HM oil is so harmless and costs about the same, why they dont recommend using it in new engines also? They specifically say for 75k or above.
Will it do any damage to new engine?

I emailed Valvoline years ago asking if the maxlife high mileage could be used in a new engine and they said you sure can. It is just designed with more seal conditioners for older motors.

I had an old MX-5 with an oil leak. 110k miles. 2 weeks after switching to Mobil 1 HM, the oil leak vanished.

Personally after a car hits 10 years old I’ll be switching regardless of mileage

I emailed Valvoline years ago asking if the maxlife high mileage could be used in a new engine and they said you sure can. It is just designed with more seal conditioners for older motors.
But why they are not marketing that their HM oil can also be used in newer engines also? Should not need to email them. I checked mobil1 website, and not a word about using high milage in new engine.

But why they are not marketing that their HM oil can also be used in newer engines also? Should not need to email them. I checked mobil1 website, and not a word about using high milage in new engine.
This is from a FAQ section for Valvoline Maxlife High mileage oil on Amazon, it says:

Description
From the manufacturer

Do I have to wait until my car reaches 75,000 miles before I can use MaxLife?
Valvoline MaxLife motor oil is designed for high mileage vehicles of 75,000 miles or more. However, it is perfectly acceptable for use in new or used vehicles with less than 75,000 miles.

This is from a FAQ section for Valvoline Maxlife High mileage oil on Amazon, it says:

Description
From the manufacturer

Do I have to wait until my car reaches 75,000 miles before I can use MaxLife?
Valvoline MaxLife motor oil is designed for high mileage vehicles of 75,000 miles or more. However, it is perfectly acceptable for use in new or used vehicles with less than 75,000 miles.
Of course it is. Objections to the contrary are just trolling. Besides there is a difference between a recommendation and a contraindication.

Yeah, then we should always buy HM oils, because its “better”. More confusing choices for consumers

They could just put extra seal conditioners in all their oils and eliminate the HM skew, but marketing wouldn't like that. They'd sell less oil if their competitors kept the HM branding on their bottles.

"High mileage" is more and more powerful marketing as the average age and mileage of cars in the US continues to increase as vehicles last longer than ever and economic pressure restricts people from purchasing new(er) vehicles.

At the auto parts store more and more brands are coming out with "high mileage" products. Or we are replacing non high mileage labeled products with those labeled "high mileage." For example, we recently clearanced out Rislone (I picked up some for mom's old Honda because why not) and replaced it with Rislone High Mileage on the planogram. Seafoam introduced their high mileage version a couple years ago. Chevron Techron High Mileage. And it keeps going.

The reality is the difference between the "regular" and "high mileage" products are likely little to nothing. However, the price difference is sometimes significant. When it comes to a quart of oil, the $0.50/qt price difference isn't much - but a lot of these additives the high mileage version is $2 or more expensive! Even if they do have extra additives, even if those additives are not cheap, it's a great way to increase profit margins! And the store loves it too. If the customer spends an extra $2 on a jug of "high mileage" oil and then chooses the $2 more expensive oil additive because it says "high mileage" we just made an extra $4 in sales and that adds up nicely when margins on basic oil and filter changes are very, very low.

I know we've beat this horse to death and it's not really on topic, but the amount of people that buy $20 additives like Lucas High Mileage Oil Stabilizer or Dura-Lube is insane. Even the shops are in on it. Quick lubes offer oil additives for like $20+ and they sell well. And I'm sure we've all heard of BG products. Wallet flushes!

"High mileage" is more and more powerful marketing as the average age and mileage of cars in the US continues to increase as vehicles last longer than ever and economic pressure restricts people from purchasing new(er) vehicles.

At the auto parts store more and more brands are coming out with "high mileage" products. Or we are replacing non high mileage labeled products with those labeled "high mileage." For example, we recently clearanced out Rislone (I picked up some for mom's old Honda because why not) and replaced it with Rislone High Mileage on the planogram. Seafoam introduced their high mileage version a couple years ago. Chevron Techron High Mileage. And it keeps going.

The reality is the difference between the "regular" and "high mileage" products are likely little to nothing. However, the price difference is sometimes significant. When it comes to a quart of oil, the $0.50/qt price difference isn't much - but a lot of these additives the high mileage version is $2 or more expensive! Even if they do have extra additives, even if those additives are not cheap, it's a great way to increase profit margins! And the store loves it too. If the customer spends an extra $2 on a jug of "high mileage" oil and then chooses the $2 more expensive oil additive because it says "high mileage" we just made an extra $4 in sales and that adds up nicely when margins on basic oil and filter changes are very, very low.

I know we've beat this horse to death and it's not really on topic, but the amount of people that buy $20 additives like Lucas High Mileage Oil Stabilizer or Dura-Lube is insane. Even the shops are in on it. Quick lubes offer oil additives for like $20+ and they sell well. And I'm sure we've all heard of BG products. Wallet flushes!
That is not always true you see the last time I bought Pennzoil HM the final sum per Jug was $4.

Last edited by a moderator:
77K on the wife's 08 Malibu LTZ 3.6 and has no leaks, keep a strict 5K routine for oil changes. ;)

Generally, I'll use high mileage synthetic over the regular synthetic in a particular brand if the price is the same. High mileage oil additive packages seem stronger, along with a little thicker viscosity. I've used high mileage oils in both new and older cars.

When my truck hit 75k I switched just because. I don’t use the truck that much anymore so I want to keep the seal’s conditioned

Seal conditioners are esters. Therefore, HM oils have higher mounts of esters in their formulations.
Esters are good for cleaners, and for film strength and metal adherence. Would that not make HM oils better than non-HM oils?

Seal conditioners are esters. Therefore, HM oils have higher mounts of esters in their formulations.
Esters are good for cleaners, and for film strength and metal adherence. Would that not make HM oils better than non-HM oils?
That’s a great question

Back