Synth and HDEO "detergency" Any before/after pics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Jimbo:
Dispersancy is the correct term. Detergent and dispersant tend to be confused. There might be a good reason, some additives may do both. Aircraft oils typically are "ashless dispersant" , which is a type of non-detergent oil. The dispersants are non-metallic to reduce the possibility of spark plug deposits, since aircraft piston engines have large clearances and burn a lot of oil.

I was debating in my mind the detergency/disperancy difference... and I'm glad you cleared it up. Please clear the other issue up, that being the nature of detergency in motor oil. Does it actually mean cleaning or does it mean the prevention of getting dirty?

Thanks for your input!
cheers.gif

My 4.6L Ford was lightly varnished from the PO's usage of 10W-30 dino. I rubbed two clean spots using ammonia-soaked swabs that were easily visible through the oil fill hole. I have noticed some changes over the last 3000miles since I have been using the Syntec 5W-20 (plus 3/4qt Syntec 20W-50 lately).

The clean spot down near the head bolt is less-defined, and I see some bare aluminum in an adjacent spot. Also, I was able to rub a patch of sticky varnish off of the girdle using my finger next to my clean test spot. This is amazing since the varnish usually wants to stay stuck on like paint.

I wonder what is in Syntec that allows it to soften varnish? I have seen older engines that were absolutely spotless with Syntec 5W-30.

Rodbuckler, for the life of me, I can not understand this 10w-30 dino (Chevron at that!) that caused varnish in your Mustang. (how do you even know what the previous owner used and what oil change interval he used - I hope you didn't take his word!)

I've simply opened up and seen with my own 2 eyes too many engines run striclty on dino that are SPOTLESS, with clean shiny metal and not even a hint varnish, sludge, or even staining.

Heck, my pops Blazer had 5w-30 Pennzoil for the first 150K of it's life (summer and winter), and the thing looked brand new inside when the intake gaskets were changes. Did you ever ponder the fact that the previous owner may have gone abit longer on oil change intervals than what the engine could handle? I'm not trying to be an ***, I just don't want others to think their motors are gonna end up as sludged/varnished boat anchors if they use dino.
cheers.gif

My 4.6L had 185K miles on it when I bought it, but that makes no excuse for the dino oil varnishing the engine after coking up the rings, etc. I have several other engines I have bought recently in worse condition at high mileage after using dino at short OCI's. The death spiral is always the same: Coke the rings, increased blowby, varnishing, sludging, junkyard.

It takes very special operating conditions to last several hundreds of thousands of miles on dino. The big trouble with dino usually shows up as mileage exceeds 100K, especially with cold-run engines and hard-run engines.

Then why does every engine I've serviced (I only use dino) stay spotless? I even used dino in my turbo Talon, and it definetally had very special operating conditions (20 psi from a 16G turbo with the factory intercooler (TINY and positioned so it doesn't get much airflow) and more bouncing off the rev limiter than a pro stock dragster), and it too was spotless.

The use dino with no concern spiral always turns out the same: 200K, spotless, hardly any consumption, and still runs like a raped ape
grin.gif
Maybe you've just had really really bad luck
dunno.gif
confused.gif

And my moms car has gone 3 miles to work and back every day for the last 8 years (save for the few highway trips it's been on) in sub zero weather. SPOTLESS

Drew99GT I will take some of that western air after today. It was 100degF with 75deg dewpoint most of today. I think that ambient conditions must have an important influence on the condition of the conventional oil. I haven't seen any evidence of conventional oil working for the long-haul around here in anything I have owned over the last 25 years.

And I'm pretty sure that the previous owners of my GT were on top of all the maintenance points on this car. I think I stole it considering it runs like new, aside from the oil consumption, today at 218K miles. I bought the car expecting to install a PI engine in the short term.

"quote:
I've seen it on an old cycle engine; dirty scum all over insides, change to a high detergent oil and the scum was gone at next oil change.

Scum? What's scum? "

Don't know what exactly it was, the inside of the engine was dirty, with dark(black) stuff coating the insides. I had removed the valve covers to check the valve clearance and noticed the black stuff. Dirt, carbon, crud,???
I only know that after running the high detergent oil, the stuff was gone and the inside was clean.

I will also add the oil makers do refer to "better cleaning agents", "inhanced cleaning", etc. Both imply that there is some
cleaning agency to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back